Usb-c direct server to server connection....

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
Is it possible to directly connect two servers together via a single usb-c cable(or thunderbolt, even?).

Ive heard about ethernet over USB but havent seen much on this. Ethernet over usb appears to be some form of virtual adapter so i realize there would be CPU overhead.

The reason should hopefully be self-evident.... Usb 3.2 or thunderbolt direct connection instead of additional energy-gobbling NICS.

joeribl

Jun 6, 2021
You can search for a host-to-host cable. How well it works, no idea.

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
You can search for a host-to-host cable. How well it works, no idea.
Yeah I saw mention of these but I don't actually see anything for sale. Android phones can tether via usb-c cables but the port actually requires that it be able to enter some particular type of state (forgot what) in order to do this which not every usb-c port can do.

Researching a bit more, Thunderbolt can apparently do this out-of-the-box and you get 20gbps speeds.... though too bad I don't have any thunderbolt ports lol.

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
This brings back painful memories of laplink and parallel cables.
Yeah I did parallel cables way back in the day what a nightmare - but we're talking about real bandwidth now and I'd like the ability to create very short-range high-speed networks. Seems like thunderbolt is the only one that will readily be able to do this unfortunately.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
My CX3 Pros are only about 9 watts with both ports active. When talking about the overall power consumption of a server, that's hardly worth thinking about. They'd peak at 13.4 watts using active optics.

Reactions: fohdeesha