"USB 3.2 Gen 1/Gen 2 devices can only be used for data storage only"?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

axavio

Sep 25, 2020
I am trying to add my Windows 10 PC to my small 2.5Gbe network, using the Plugable 2.5Gbe to USB C dongle. It works at advertised speeds between my Mac Mini and a Proxmox Server according to iperf3. But it is only getting 1.2ish GB/sec on the Windows machine. I updated drivers, switched USB ports, etc. until I broke out the manual for my motherboard (ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE). There, it plainly says next to virtually every USB port mention:

"USB 3.2 Gen 1/Gen 2 devices can only be used for data storage only"

Call me naive, but I have never heard of such a thing. Does it mean that networking is hobbled somehow on USB for this motherboard? If so, I am out of luck.

Maybe I will need to use a PCI-E based solution. Anyone else run across this?

axavio

Sep 25, 2020
@RolloZ170 I appreciate the reply! I guess it is a motherboard limitation on an odd sort of board. The USB 3.2 Gen 2s are, as you say, all on the chipset. There are a pair of USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports off the CPU, but my results are the same on the processor ports and chipset ports.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
USB 3.2 Gen 1/Gen 2 devices can only be used for data storage only

imho means: you should NOT connect your mouse keyboard here because they are 2.0 devices.
better spare the 3.0 ports for devices with 3.0 support.