[USA] [WTB] Supermicro 4U 24-bay chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
looking for one of these. ebay is filled with tons of the 36-bay and 45-bay variants, but those only have 2U of space for the MB/CPU area and I want 4U to be able to add GPUs and generally just have more space.

anyone have one for sale? really want just the chassis itself with all drive trays. I don't need a whole server build.

Reactions: Samir
Feb 18, 2018
looking for one of these. ebay is filled with tons of the 36-bay and 45-bay variants, but those only have 2U of space for the MB/CPU area and I want 4U to be able to add GPUs and generally just have more space.

anyone have one for sale? really want just the chassis itself with all drive trays. I don't need a whole server build.
I'm looking for one myself the 24bay 4u's I have found are going for around 600+ I'd love to find one in the 300 to 400 range

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I may part with 1 if you want to pick it up in California, not interested in shipping a Supermicro 846.

In years past the $300-400 range units were most often SAS1 and\or without drive trays.

IIRC $400-500 was more the common price for the 846 w\trays and PSUs and price vary based on options like power supply type, 2.5" internal, backplane type, etc...

They're also EXPENSIVE to ship, especially in 2022 :(

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I don't drive but am willing to pay shipping were abouts are you in cali ?
Bummer. Sorry but I am not interested in shipping. It takes me 1hr to package a server of this size\weight.
If you wanted a complete one with motherboard\cpu\ram\etc, I would ship but an empty server isn't worth the effort for me.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
I may part with 1 if you want to pick it up in California, not interested in shipping a Supermicro 846.

In years past the $300-400 range units were most often SAS1 and\or without drive trays.

IIRC $400-500 was more the common price for the 846 w\trays and PSUs and price vary based on options like power supply type, 2.5" internal, backplane type, etc...

They're also EXPENSIVE to ship, especially in 2022 :(
About a year or two ago, eBay was flooded with these for like 350 shipped with SAS2 backplanes , drive trays and PSUs. I’m upset that I didn’t get one at the time.

Wra1th3

Dec 21, 2021
I have a couple 3u's that are idle and available shipped from NY...they will fit GPUs as long as the fans are not crazy

Wra1th3

Dec 21, 2021
will they accept SQ psus?

I currently already have a SM 3U chassis, with the 1200w SQ psus I could swap over.
TBH I had platinum 1kw PSUs in the case prior to my recent upgrade and they were silent -- how can I check if "SQ" PSUs are compatible? I dont see why they wouldnt be...arent the SM PDUs basically universal?

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
I'm really more interested in a 4U case since I want more space in the chassis for GPUs (remember top mounted power cables, plus some models have taller pcb, wont easily fit in 3U). and since I already have a 3U SM chassis, this feels more like a sidegrade.

But what are you asking shipped for this 3U case?

Wra1th3

Dec 21, 2021
I'm really more interested in a 4U case since I want more space in the chassis for GPUs (remember top mounted power cables, plus some models have taller pcb, wont easily fit in 3U). and since I already have a 3U SM chassis, this feels more like a sidegrade.

But what are you asking shipped for this 3U case?
I use right angle GPD power adapters in my rackmount cases for exactly this reason

$450 shipped w/ trays and no PSUs (save weight)

Wra1th3

Dec 21, 2021
seems a bit cheaper on ebay. with 2x1200W included.

but i'm still on the fence about 3U anyway.

that comes with an expander (EL1) & IMO the passthru is more worthwhile bc it can support 12G drives on a 9300+ HBA
id include PSUs but i only have regular 900w to give