[US-WA] FS: Rome 7402P, Tyan motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whbeers

Jul 11, 2020
AMD EPYC Rome 7402P - $800
Tyan S8030GM2NE-2T (the dual 10GbE variety) - $650

Or take the motherboard with the 7402P installed for $1250

Decided to move to a dual socket board, so these need to go. All items were working fine when I pulled these out of the rack.

I’m lazy and would love it if someone picked up the lot of it locally north of Seattle (read: I’d make a good deal to err on that side), but happy to ship within the US as well.

Payment via PayPal or Venmo, shipping UPS or USPS. Prices include shipping, US only.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

bryan_v

Nov 5, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
www.linkedin.com
You might have trouble moving at those prices. That board has been listed on fleabay up here in Canada for 406 USD for 3 months and still hasn't moved.

As for the 7402P, unless someone is upgrading from 7001 they're hard to move without a board. If I were you, try bundling a CPU with a board as a set and pick a price (probably ~$1000-$1200 USD). You might get some takers with that arrangement.

whbeers

Jul 11, 2020
I set these prices based on ebay completed listings (for the CPUs), and below retail for the motherboard. Note that there is a price gap between the version of these motherboards with 10GbE and the ones without.

But to others, please do make an offer if you’re interested in purchasing. Especially for local folks who can pick it up, I’m inclined to weigh convenience over getting my asking prices.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
AMD EPYC Rome 7402P - $800
Tyan S8030GM2NE-2T (the dual 10GbE variety) - $700

Or take the combo for $1425

Decided to move to a dual socket board, so these need to go. All items were working fine when I pulled these out of the rack.

I’m lazy and would love it if someone picked up the lot of it locally north of Seattle (read: I’d make a good deal to err on that side), but happy to ship within the US as well.

if local, will consider trades for 100GbE network gear (pcie4 mlx nics, arista 7060, etc).

Payment via PayPal or Venmo, shipping UPS or USPS. Prices include shipping, US only.
Pm me if you are looking for the 100GE PCI gen 4 nics. I live near Tacoma and also prefer to do local deals.
Jp

whbeers

Jul 11, 2020
oh, I actually just managed to grab a couple oracle CX5's off ebay for not /too/ bad a price, so no longer interested in that side of things (will edit the main post momentarily). Apologies for missing this earlier.

One combo still available, and added a ROMED8-2T that I also briefly used before moving to a supermicro board for another system. [Edit: Asrock board sold.]

Last edited:

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
no worries. which specific nics did you find? it seems like the price on most 100G nics have become pretty expensive.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
These oracle ones work after performing a recovery mode (jumpered) flash-with-stock then power cycle: Mellanox CX556A ConnectX-5 EDR 100GbE PCIe NIC no PCIe Bracket 7290108480320 | eBay

With the Oracle firmware the cards prevent the system from booting, unless the recovery mode jumper is in place. That was a bit scary at first, especially given the price.

(full reset process)
Do you know how to jump a nic without any jumper pins on the card? See attached for detailed view of card.
thanks,
jp

Attachments

whbeers

Jul 11, 2020
Do you know how to jump a nic without any jumper pins on the card? See attached for detailed view of card.
The first time I went through the process, the card stayed in recovery mode across reboots, even though I had taken the jumper off while it was still plugged in. I had to physically remove the card from the slot or remove all power from the system and let caps bleed to get it out of recovery mode.

Based on that experience, it seems like the card is latched into recovery mode once power is applied and until it's removed...so I'd be tempted to just bridge the non-populated FNP pins with something like a paperclip or two-pin header with a jumper on it [being careful to maintain contact], just long enough for the card to initialize and for the system to POST. If that didn't work I'd solder on the header and use a jumper like usual.

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017
These oracle ones work after performing a recovery mode (jumpered) flash-with-stock then power cycle: Mellanox CX556A ConnectX-5 EDR 100GbE PCIe NIC no PCIe Bracket 7290108480320 | eBay

With the Oracle firmware the cards prevent the system from booting, unless the recovery mode jumper is in place. That was a bit scary at first, especially given the price.

(full reset process)
Your card seems is in weird state, but interesting . I have the exact same CX556A card from the same eBay seller that I got a while ago ( was much cheaper last year). It boots and works perfectly on my Supermicro H12SSL and EPYC Rome CPU with the original Oracle firmware without any need of recovery mode jumper. I'm just wondering what is the real cause that you and others got the booting issue?

whbeers

Jul 11, 2020
super-interesting... to be clear (just in case), after flashing the stock firmware I no longer need to have the recovery mode jumper to boot.

I had three systems show the same behavior with these cards - two H12 boards (H12SSL-nt and H12DSi-nt6) wouldn't get past pcie initialization, and an intel windows box bluescreened at boot. no further debugging, because all three were resolved by flashing to stock firmware in recovery mode.

the thread I linked above gives some detail on the "hardware access key" / "secure-fw" functionality, maybe the firmware on yours didn't make use of it? I bet you could get some information out of mstflint / mstconfig to confirm/deny whether it's in use.

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017
super-interesting... to be clear (just in case), after flashing the stock firmware I no longer need to have the recovery mode jumper to boot.

I had three systems show the same behavior with these cards - two H12 boards (H12SSL-nt and H12DSi-nt6) wouldn't get past pcie initialization, and an intel windows box bluescreened at boot. no further debugging, because all three were resolved by flashing to stock firmware in recovery mode.

the thread I linked above gives some detail on the "hardware access key" / "secure-fw" functionality, maybe the firmware on yours didn't make use of it? I bet you could get some information out of mstflint / mstconfig to confirm/deny whether it's in use.
My CX-5 card seems having the security attributes set to " secure-fw" :

Image type: FS4
FW Version: 16.23.1020
FW Release Date: 10.7.2018
Product Version: 16.23.1020
Rom Info: type=UEFI version=14.16.17 cpu=AMD64
type=PXE version=3.5.504 cpu=AMD64
Description: UID GuidsNumber
Base GUID: *snipped*
Base MAC: *snipped*
Image VSD: N/A
Device VSD: N/A
PSID: ORC0000000003
Security Attributes: secure-fw
Default Update Method: fw_ctrl

Other than Supermicro H12SSL board, I was able to boot without any issue on Supermicro X11SDV-16C-TP8F as well

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Could I pay you a few bucks and all shipping to borrow that CPU?

I am afraid I might be stuck with a Locked 7551, and need to verify. AsRock Rack support sent me a fixed BMC bios, but getting an odd MFG error message.

However, I have no way to test...

Last edited: