(US-VA) FS: NVME Controller & Drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CaptainPoundSand

Mar 16, 2019
Ashburn, VA
Going in a different direction for my storage solution.. (these were in my SM chassis with 4x NVME slots built in - will be selling that shortly) - Will list these for weekend before heading to Ebay.

I'll sell entire lot for 1k and include the card to back-plane cables.

2x SuperMicro AOC-SLG3-2E4 - $110/ea Shipped - only short bracket.
-These are the the NVME controller cards that have PLX onboard (for those SM motherboards that do NOT have bifurcation) - Was running these on a X9DRH

4x HGST 1.92GB NVME - HUSMR7619BDP3Y1 W/SM NVME sled - $200/ea Shipped.
-Bought these with about 100 hours on them (Beginning of the year)- These were for an NFS/esxi share - but never materialized so power on times don't reflect actual writes to the drive -Already pulled so don't have exact specs but these are just fine.

I'm located in Ashburn, VA.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
NFS+esxi sucks big hairy donkey balls - I was using esxi+nfs for the longest time and upgraded ny nas several times with optane nvme, pure SSD pool etc and its just impossible to get NFS+ esxi to perform because of the way esxi asks for sync+flush on every write request. I switched to iscsi and now have 3.2GB/s writes.

So if esxi+nfs is the reason why you are going in a different direction, try iscsi instead :) you will love it.

How much will you sell two of these drives for shipped to Denmark?

Reactions: Samir

CaptainPoundSand

Mar 16, 2019
Ashburn, VA
NFS+esxi sucks big hairy donkey balls - I was using esxi+nfs for the longest time and upgraded ny nas several times with optane nvme, pure SSD pool etc and its just impossible to get NFS+ esxi to perform because of the way esxi asks for sync+flush on every write request. I switched to iscsi and now have 3.2GB/s writes.

So if esxi+nfs is the reason why you are going in a different direction, try iscsi instead :) you will love it.

How much will you sell two of these drives for shipped to Denmark?
Actually NFS 4.1 (vs 3) got me better than ISCSI even on 40gbe direct connect. I Was able to hit 4GB/S + - issue was freenas doesn't like the dual port 40gbe (kept crashing NAS) - and didn't want to get a 40gbe switch. Plus WAF - loosing NAS = loosing all VM's. Looking/testing into VSAN - (I have 3node cluster) I found out on 6.7 you can carve out NVME namespace (Like partitioning disks) and have cache/capacity all on same physical PCIE NVME, but presenting as separate disks to esxi. = Insane performance.

Already have lot buyer - but I wouldn't expect more than $50 to ship - I'll put you as backup.

Reactions: Samir