US - STH Perpetual Freebies Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Many tech forums I frequent has a Perpetual Freebies thread for members to exchange free items they no longer use and pay things forward. I've gotten permission from Patrick to start something similar here at STH, I don't have a lot of high end gear but you never know, something sitting in your box unused could be just the item others are looking for.

My items (Free + USPS costs :))
  1. Kingston SSD Now USB 2.0 SATA box - I have 2 of 1 Left these brand new, they use Mini-USB connectors and I'll include cables if you need
  2. Pair of 5440 Xeons
  3. PowerColor Radoen 5450 PCI-e graphics card - low profile card I use for bench testing and builds
  4. Panoflow 92mm fans - have 2 of these, I got them to lower the noise of Supermicro 5x3.5 to 3x5.25 drive cages, they use molex connectors but I have added the 3rd sense wire.
Thanks everyone for the great community we have here

Last edited:

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I'm re-using my first post so as to not make more noise here... here's what i got for now, should be more to add later:

Free stuff for cost of shipping:
1) Full height PCIe brackets from Dell H310 or H200 cards. These fit any standard half height PCIe card with 54mm spacing. It's just a few dollars to ship a handful, but if you're ambitious, I can pack 64 of them into a USPS priority mail small box and you'll receive a brick of metal for about $8.

2) variety of metallic anti-static shield bags. last stash of these went to @Samir but now i have more again. rather go to someone who can use them than to throw away. (I don't think they recycle well)

original post:
I love the idea... i've posted a few "for free" threads too and was just about the update it or post another... mind if I use this?

Last edited:

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Great idea! Great for stuff that you know isn't worth anything monetary, but is still worth something to someone who can use it. :)

I think with the international community here it would be useful to also state where the items are--US, EU, etc.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Great idea! Great for stuff that you know isn't worth anything monetary, but is still worth something to someone who can use it. :)

I think with the international community here it would be useful to also state where the items are--US, EU, etc.
very good point... also, i guess as stuff goes away, how do we maintain the thread? does each member just keep re-using one of the posts in this thread or add a new post?

Reactions: Sleyk and Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
very good point... also, i guess as stuff goes away, how do we maintain the thread? does each member just keep re-using one of the posts in this thread or add a new post?
What I usually see is a followup post by the original poster with the items gone in strikethrough and who they went to. :) This makes it easy for someone to see if an item is gone or not too as well as keeps a historic record of what has been transacted in the thread.

Thanks all for the response so far - @Samir great point and I have added US to this thread title
Actually, I wasn't thinking about this in the thread title as then we'd have a thread for every country on the map, lol. I meant that when someone posts something for sale, they have their locations and terms in their post--similar to our FS threads actually. So you post like a FS thread but just a post in this thread with all the info. :) And as people claim things, you post again so we know what's left and what has gone to whom. That should keep the thread active as well as organized with what stuff is available. :)

Reactions: Sleyk

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
Free used, Dynatron B5 2U cooler. No longer have intel scalable processors. Item location is the Bay Area but I can ship via priority mail at your cost.

Last edited:

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
Used Chenbro 2U Short Depth RM24200 (might be missing some extra screws) for local pickup @ 94002.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Used Chenbro 2U Short Depth RM24200 (might be missing some extra screws) for local pickup @ 94002.

I remember when there were 2x of these in the provantage open box for under $30 shipped--boy those were tempting me until someone else got them (whew!). :)

Reactions: Sleyk

scp

Aug 5, 2015
** Free Stuff Post ***

Any small items will go in a flat rate USPS box, which is $9 to anywhere in the CONUS.
Multiple small items, or medium items go in a flat rate USPS box, which is $15 to anywhere in the CONUS.

Here's my current freebies:
  • Dual Nic, Syba PEX24041 Realtek 8111H: It came from one of my VM Servers. Thanks Samir for the ID (IMG_1986, IMG_1987)
  • Fan Controller: This is really cool and I know it works. Has 4 temp probes and power leads for case fans. It slots in a 5 1/4 single bay. (IMG_1983, IMG_1984)
  • Mystery dual-USB3 card. I know its dual USB3. It came from one of my VM Servers, but beyond that, I'm not really sure. (IMG_1993, IMG_1994)
  • 2GB SODIMS: Were pulls from Chromeboxes and Mac Minis. They worked at the time.(IMG_1996)
  • GeForce GT710: This was a pull from a VM Server as well. Was used in hardware passthrough mode on Unraid in Windows/Ubuntu VMs. So it does that, at least. (IMG_1988)

Attachments

Last edited:

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
  • Mystery dual-nic card. I know its dual gigabit. Realtek? It came from one of my VM Servers, but beyond that, I'm not really sure. (IMG_1986, IMG_1987)
  • Fan Controller: This is really cool and I know it works. Has 4 temp probes and power leads for case fans. It slots in a 5 1/4 single bay. (IMG_1983, IMG_1984)
  • Mystery dual-USB3 card. I know its dual USB3. It came from one of my VM Servers, but beyond that, I'm not really sure. (IMG_1993, IMG_1994)
  • 2GB SODIMS: Were pulls from Chromeboxes and Mac Minis. They worked at the time.(IMG_1996)
  • GeForce GT710: This was a pull from a VM Server as well. Was used in hardware passthrough mode on Unraid in Windows/Ubuntu VMs. So it does that, at least. (IMG_1988)
YHPM for the GPU and USB 3 card. Thanks for posting these!

Last edited:

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Mystery dual-nic card. I know its dual gigabit. Realtek? It came from one of my VM Servers, but beyond that, I'm not really sure. (IMG_1986, IMG_1987)
Mystery card is a Syba PEX24041 Realtek 8111H based card:

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Shipping is on you and best handled by sending me a prepaid label.

Liebert GTX2-1000RT120 UPS. Needs new batteries. Ethernet management card is included. Local pickup only in Phoenix. Photo: https://drunkencat.net/misc/forsale/DSC_1235.jpg

Apacer 2GB SLC USB DOM. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Apacer/AP-UM002GR31CG-2MST?qs=KKEluV1bOd12ec6UC4XGlg==

2 bay drive cage that I think came out of an Intel server? Supposed to be in the rear for OS drives I believe. Photo: https://drunkencat.net/misc/forsale/P1140334.jpg