[US-OH][FS:] HP SL4540 gen8 - Two-Node - 120TB LFF

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
Something a bit different.. HP P/N: 663600-B22

I have a couple of these systems for sale.. Here's the info: HP ProLiant SL4540 Gen8 Server - Overview (hpe.com)

QuickSpecs: HP ProLiant SL4540 Generation 8 (Gen8) Server (hpe.com)
StorageReview: HP’s ProLiant SL4500 Gen8 Features Modular Big Data Architecture | StorageReview.com

These are dual-node 50-bay LFF units arranged in a 2 x 25 configuration. Each node has access to 25 drives.

Node Specs:
2 x E5-2430
6 x 8GB
2 x 500GB 7.2k SATA for OS/boot

Chassis Specs:
40 x HP 3TB 7.2k LFF SATA (20/node) willing to sell w/o drives.
2 x 10Gb IO Modules (1 x SFP+ and 1 x QSFP)
2 x P420 RAID w/FBWC
4 x 1200w Platinum Plus Common Slot PSUs

Includes rails with full cable management arms!

Price is $1995/each. Will not ship as these weigh a couple hundred lbs., but I can drive/meet anywhere within a few hundred miles of Cleveland.

I'll also sell the chassis and nodes separate from the drives. $1000/ea. for the chassis and nodes, without drives.

FYI - these are *not* actual pics of the units. I need to get where these are and then I'll replace them with actual photos.

1629948412201.png

1629948164640.png

1629948379354.png

Last edited:

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
During the height of chia, you could have gotten a pretty penny for these! o_O What OS was tried/running on these?

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
Nope, the scam was uncovered and all the investments went to dust (as usual). People were trying to offload drives even a month ago.
Out of curiosity, what was the scam? I see talk of a good portion being pre-mined. Is that it?

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Out of curiosity, what was the scam? I see talk of a good portion being pre-mined. Is that it?
Well the cryptocurrancy scam is pretty much the same each time--overpromise and underdeliver. This was supposed to be 'the next big thing', and it drove people to buy lots of storage to the point that supply was being choked and prices skyrocketed in the used market. Then as people started doing the mining and getting nothing, they pretty much gave up because the reality of buying $2400 on a credit card and then the payment due in a month finally set it. So there was a bit of a dump of storage into the market, but at inflated prices because people were trying to get their money back (which they didn't). So the demand for storage dropped and the supply rebounded and thus chia's scam fizzled out.

I think the real purpose was a proof of concept of how supply markets could be precisely messed with by cryptocurrency scams. I think it proved that it works very well so now there's another tool in the bag for those whose manifesto is to take over the whole world by 2050.

Reactions: Serverking

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
hard drive prices still haven't come down to marh/april pricing (was able to get 14TB drives for $200ish back then, now its more like $300ish, which is better than $400+ish, but still not back)

Reactions: Rock

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
hard drive prices still haven't come down to marh/april pricing (was able to get 14TB drives for $200ish back then, now its more like $300ish, which is better than $400+ish, but still not back)
You're not looking in the right places. ;) I'm seeing some prices finally getting back to the easystore level.

The 14TB drives seem to have become a bit of a high demand product as I barely see good deals on any of these anymore. It's the 16TB ironically which seem to bring the best value.

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
So, given storage still seems to be a hot topic the important question here is....

Who is going to buy my servers?

:cool:

Riley

Reactions: anything1233

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
You're not looking in the right places. ;) I'm seeing some prices finally getting back to the easystore level.

The 14TB drives seem to have become a bit of a high demand product as I barely see good deals on any of these anymore. It's the 16TB ironically which seem to bring the best value.
where are those right places?

the best I've seen is 260/270 for a 14TB easy store isn't back to normal. those got down to $200 before chia. 16TBs were at a greater per TB price before chia.

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
the problem is you're limiting yourself to cleveland, and the price isn't really set to sell (it close to reasonable, but I'd guess 2000 would be closer). why? ebay prices on used 3TB enterprise HD are $25 a pop right now. so you have $1000 in hard drives. if we'd compare the nodes to r720s/HP G8s, they would probably be no mroe than $500 a pop (maybe a bit less, but I can't imagine a similary equipped G8/r720 going for over $500). now, its a fairly unique build, so perhaps worth more to someone, but that's going to be a hard to find customer.

I'm no where near cleveland, but if I was taking a flyer on this, I can't imagine I'd be willing to take a flyer on it at much over $1K, and hence woudn't even make you an offer as wouldn't want to insult you with a lowball offer.

you might be able to get more money by partin out the the hard drives and selling a chasis without any HDs.

i.e. if you coul sell the HD for $25 a pop, someone might be wiling to take a flyer on the chasis for $500-$1000.

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
the problem is you're limiting yourself to cleveland, and the price isn't really set to sell (it close to reasonable, but I'd guess 2000 would be closer). why? ebay prices on used 3TB enterprise HD are $25 a pop right now. so you have $1000 in hard drives. if we'd compare the nodes to r720s/HP G8s, they would probably be no mroe than $500 a pop (maybe a bit less, but I can't imagine a similary equipped G8/r720 going for over $500). now, its a fairly unique build, so perhaps worth more to someone, but that's going to be a hard to find customer.

I'm no where near cleveland, but if I was taking a flyer on this, I can't imagine I'd be willing to take a flyer on it at much over $1K, and hence woudn't even make you an offer as wouldn't want to insult you with a lowball offer.

you might be able to get more money by partin out the the hard drives and selling a chasis without any HDs.

i.e. if you coul sell the HD for $25 a pop, someone might be wiling to take a flyer on the chasis for $500-$1000.
I really appreciate the constructive advice. Thank you.

I'd be willing to sell the chassis and drives separately and I would also be willing to drive a few hundred miles to deliver/meet. I'll update the OP..

Also, price lowered to $1995!! ;) I need these gone.