(US) Mysterious Supermicro Xeon-D Server is mysterious (690 USD)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

posternutbag

Jan 2, 2019
Yeah, probably the E300. I don't see the E302 for sale on CDW.com but that isn't a sure tell, I suppose. How embarrassing, I honestly thought that was a heatsink. :oops:

I like CDW Outlet barebones because every great once in a while you get other hardware that was added and accidentally left in there from the previous customer. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sacrilego

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Yeah, probably the E300. I don't see the E302 for sale on CDW.com but that isn't a sure tell, I suppose.

I like CDW Outlet barebones because every great once in a while you get other hardware that was added and accidentally left in there from the previous customer. ;)
They do have the E302, and in terms of machines, the E302 is a passively cooled box, so probably more versatile for the home environment...although you'll need more temperature tolerant spinners for them. I kinda doubt the CDW outlet listing is for the 302, though. The base model E300-9D barebones with the Xeon-D 2123T is quoted at 850 USD, so a return-and-relist E300-9D chassis with 4 8GB DDR4 DIMMs is at a 160 dollar discount...Not bad.

Either ways, nice box and better than the plastic jobber HPe EC200As recently flogged on flea-bay - even at <200 USD those machines are a bit of a coin-flip.

So, @Patrick, "pennypinchers special" article for STH?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sacrilego

Sacrilego

Now with more RGB!
Jun 23, 2016
They do have the E302, and in terms of machines, the E302 is a passively cooled box, so probably more versatile for the home environment...although you'll need more temperature tolerant spinners for them. Either ways, potentially nice box and probably better than those plastic jobber EC200As that were flogged out there - even at <200 USD those machines are a bit...challenging.

Hm...the base model E300-9D barebones with the Xeon-D 2123T is quoted at 850 USD.

So, @Patrick, wanna do a "pennypinchers special" article for STH?
ACK, beat me to it :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@WANg it is harder to do these on units that are one-offs like this. We are actually pretty full editorially for the rest of 2020 at this point.