US - eBay Intel DC S3500 300GB $74 free shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
How many devices per VSAN node do you need to be performant if youre using drives with capacity like these? Would it be okay if I had 4 nodes with 2 drives each?

Also is it possible to use these as boot drives and use the unused space somehow in a converged setup? Or no.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I bought 2 of these drives from this seller. I offered $55 each, and he countered with $50 each (shipped).
I know that sounds backwards.

The best news, is each drive had under 400gb of data written to them. The power on hours was around 5000 IIRC.

These were Intel's first MLC drives, and they had 512gb of flash and quite a bit of overprovisioning. There was a utility to increase the overprovisioning even more for increased endurance. They are not super quick by modern standards, but I am using them for boot drives and they are far quicker than rust drives.

Last edited:
Reactions: polar101

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
How many devices per VSAN node do you need to be performant if youre using drives with capacity like these? Would it be okay if I had 4 nodes with 2 drives each?

Also is it possible to use these as boot drives and use the unused space somehow in a converged setup? Or no.
I'd think that 4x2 might be a bit on the slow side (read). You'll also need a cache drive which will determine write speed. Also a HBA to put the drives on.

Unused space - not with vsan - scaleio can do that.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
A cache drive for all flash? Interesting.

For HBA ill be using either dell h310 or h710p mini adapters.

Unfortunately these are going into m620 blades and I don't want to scale too far outside the current limitations of such.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Damn. Can VSAN be used with shared storage? My limited understanding is its fully featured software defined storage. So not even sure it makes sense to use it strictly with shared volumes.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
For vSAN I have managed to use for capacity per disk group 5 x 960gb Samsung PM1633 and cache 1 x Samsung SM1625, that’s as you can tell an all SAS hot swap, works well but there is 10 nodes each with 2 disk groups.

Have also some small 2-6 nodes small setups with 900gb SAS hard disk and 400/800gb SAS SSD as cache that with regular light workloads work ok.

vSAN so far is not patching real SAN for performance but in larger setup scales ok and has other advantages... like not being dependent on SAN infrastructure.

Anyway what I wanted to say is you won’t be amazed by small all flash vSAN performance but it’s ‘ok’

Reactions: frogtech

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
From my experience @Evan is spot on that performance in a cluster with a low number of nodes and drives per node will not likely wow you, especially if you've been suing similar drives as local storage. With AFA though it's still plenty fast for most workloads.

tinkrtoy

Mar 24, 2017
Just an FYI - I use S3500 300GB drives as the caching tier for my VSAN 2-node ROBO setup. They perform fine while the servers are up and running, but if I need to reboot either server then this drive will most likely come up showing a size of 0 bytes and the caching tier for that server will be missing. I've found this to be a heat issue and shutting the server down and leaving it off for 10-20 minutes and then booting it back up fixes the problem and the drive space is reported correctly. This is running off LSI 9211 cards (Dell branded - flashed to IT mode) in HP G6 servers so YMMV.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
FYI: Seller seems to be ignoring BO. Only ones sold were BIN. Huge backlog of outstanding offers. Mine (10x @ 60) expired.

Reactions: frogtech

Son of Homer

May 9, 2016
The fate of mine at 1:00 am seems sealed too. Better the $ goes to a seller that is capable of a response.

polar101

Mar 19, 2016
My offer for $50 each ship for 2 was accepted this morning. I thought it was dead offer, too.