(US) Cheap Gigabit fiber adapter for the HP t630, t640 and t730 Thin Clients

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

abq

May 23, 2015
Hello All,

I am cross posting to ask if this Allied Telesis AT-29M2 might work with the the DFI DT122-BE clone as well. I do not see a spot for it in the DT122 pictures, but thought worth asking & mentioning price drop. Does anyone have any experience they can share? ...Looks like price dropped to $10 on ebay (Allied Telesis AT-29M2/SC-AA-001 M.2 MULTI-MODE NETWORK ADAPTER 990-004932-001 767035207797 | eBay).

Thanks & Merry Christmas :)

Last edited:

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Hello All,

I am cross posting to ask if this Allied Telesis AT-29M2 might work with the the DFI DT122-BE clone as well. I do not see a spot for it in the DT122 pictures, but thought worth asking & mentioning price drop. Does anyone have any experience they can share? ...Looks like price dropped to $10 on ebay (Allied Telesis AT-29M2/SC-AA-001 M.2 MULTI-MODE NETWORK ADAPTER 990-004932-001 767035207797 | eBay).

Thanks & Merry Christmas :)

...where is the M.2 slot on the DT122? I spent the last 5 minutes staring at the manual for the included DE171 motherboard, and I can't find one. The AT29M2 board is an M.2 device, and the DFI is functionally similar to the t730, not a straight-up clone.

Also, for questions like this, just ask it once. It’s the same people reading across the forum anyways.

Last edited:

abq

May 23, 2015
Sorry for the cross post & thank you for clarification that this will not work with the DFI DT122 semi-clone. I will look for a HP T730 instead. ...Hopefully worth mentioning the Allied Telesis AT-29M2 price dropped under $10 for those with HP T730 version of these boxes. ...No, I am not affiliated with the listing, just sharing a potential good deal for some.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Sorry for the cross post & thank you for clarification that this will not work with the DFI DT122 semi-clone. I will look for a HP T730 instead. ...Hopefully worth mentioning the Allied Telesis AT-29M2 price dropped under $10 for those with HP T730 version of these boxes. ...No, I am not affiliated with the listing, just sharing a potential good deal for some.
Yes, it’s the same guy on eBay (laptopforles out in Nassau County/Long island, about 10 miles east of NYC), and he’s been liquidating thin client gear for years - I bought my t740 off his listings, and I am sure at least several STH folks here can vouch for him.

FYI - the original listing that I posted (off...wow, 2 years ago) was 12.99 with free shipping - the current one is 9.99 with $5 shipping, so it’s a slight price increase. There’s also a listing for an AT29M2 with the LC connector off a California based vendor that goes for about 29 including shipping.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
I do have such an adapter in my HP t730 installed, but i can't figure out how i would be able to use this directly with my fiber terminator at my home.
It uses a single SC connector in both ends connecting from the fiber termination box to ISP's router which included a single SC port.
Is there any solution to keeping the Allied M.2 card with dual SC connector and still be able to terminate fiber directly with some kind of adapter?
I do not have enough knowledge about fiber cables and connectors hence the questions :)

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
I do have such an adapter in my HP t730 installed, but i can't figure out how i would be able to use this directly with my fiber terminator at my home.
It uses a single SC connector in both ends connecting from the fiber termination box to ISP's router which included a single SC port.
Is there any solution to keeping the Allied M.2 card with dual SC connector and still be able to terminate fiber directly with some kind of adapter?
I do not have enough knowledge about fiber cables and connectors hence the questions :)
Wait. It has a simplex (single) SC connector, as in, a single SC connector? Are you sure? Take a photo and post it up. Those things are not common. You normally won't see simplex SC since it's used for dedicated read-only applications (periodic sensor data, like wind speed readouts off sensors mounted on a bridge) or it's used for half-duplex stuff like...10Mbit ethernet. That's why the AT29M2-SC001 adapter has 2 SC connectors, one for each direction of data flow.
That port on the terminator box is either not meant for consumer use, or it's a different connector type that resembles SC from the outside, but is not quite it. Both the MT-RJ and the MTP/MPO connectors looks quite like a simplex SC if it's plugged in and you didn't see the inside.

Reactions: Markess

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
That port on the terminator box is either not meant for consumer use, or it's a different connector type that resembles SC from the outside, but is not quite it. Both the MT-RJ and the MTP/MPO connectors looks quite like a simplex SC if it's plugged in and you didn't see the inside.
Some internet/content providers do crazy stuff with off the shelf parts meant to be used differently. Definitely "not meant for consumer use", as you say, and locks customers into the ISPs router. I have no idea if that's the case here, but it was the case for me in the past (with different "misused" tech in my case).

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
My GPON service a while back had a single SC connector with an APC (angled) strand of fiber. The connector was green to denote this.

fake-name

Feb 28, 2017
Wait. It has a simplex (single) SC connector, as in, a single SC connector? Are you sure? Take a photo and post it up. Those things are not common. You normally won't see simplex SC since it's used for dedicated read-only applications (periodic sensor data, like wind speed readouts off sensors mounted on a bridge) or it's used for half-duplex stuff like...10Mbit ethernet. That's why the AT29M2-SC001 adapter has 2 SC connectors, one for each direction of data flow.
There are dual frequency ("BiDi" fiber transceivers available off the shell for not /that/ much money. They do bidirectional communication over a single fiber by using different wavelengths for each direction.

Apparently it's used in ISP networks, so that's probably what's going on here. I can totally see a ISP being cheap and only pulling a single fiber if they can get away with it, and just dumping the cost for the fancier transceiver on the customer.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
@WANg Yes, it has a single SC connector (i think at least it is an SC connector based on some research) at both ends and there no chance that is unidirectional as the traffic flows through that single fiber cable in and out of the house!

EDIT1: Just checked some specs of the router which is a Zyxel FMG-3452 and it states, among others: 1 x active fiber SC port (AXGE-1651) TX(1310nm)/RX(1550nm).
So makes sense with what @fake-name states that it uses 2 different wavelength for TX and RX!

Last edited:

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
@WANg Yes, it has a single SC connector (i think at least it is an SC connector based on some research) at both ends and there no chance that is unidirectional as the traffic flows through that single fiber cable in and out of the house!

EDIT1: Just checked some specs of the router which is a Zyxel FMG-3452 and it states, among others: 1 x active fiber SC port (AXGE-1651) TX(1310nm)/RX(1550nm).
So makes sense with what @fake-name states that it uses 2 different wavelength for TX and RX!
Oh geez. It’s a single mode fiber with 2 wavelengths being used for bidirectional comms?

Well, I don’t think there are vendors out there selling media converters that can go from multi mode duplex SC to single mode BiDi (or if there is, it’ll be way more than the price of the AT29M2 card)