(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eas

May 25, 2022
Offhand I would search for 'smbus pcie tape' or similar on STH, especially if the i350 card is a server card (I.e. Dell/HP/IBM). Sounds like the exact symptoms others have had with some server cards.
Thanks. I'd hoped my quad-port would just work, but it had the same problem. I did the tape trick (what year is this?) and it's working. I'm running OpenSense on it and it gets to line speed over my fiber ethernet link, which my t620 plus couldn't do.

Reactions: Samir

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Or these:
J5005 without ac adapter:

J4105 with ac adapter:

(Updated the 2nd one's CPU model. Thank @cageek and @heromode .)

Last edited:

heromode

May 25, 2020
Or these:
J5005 without ac adapter:

J5005 with ac adapter:
the non-extended version does not have a pentium J5005, it has some celeron i think that i don't remember, but alittle less performance CPU, and passively cooled iirc

edit Celeron J4105.. I'm pretty sure those ebay non-extended versions have wrong info

bigtroutpa

Feb 10, 2023
The extended version ALWAYS has the j5005 processor, with a slient fan.
The slim version can have either the j5005 or the j4105, passively cooled.

I have both a slim and an extended. The performance difference between the j4105 and the j5005 is about 8 to 10 percent.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
My new open box 5070 Extended arrived today. It was indeed as advertised. I immediately loaded Linux Mint on it for testing purposes. As soon as I get a second NIC I'll load PfSense or Opnsense on it. First impressions were very good. It's a lot snappier than I was expecting. Had to make some changes in the BIOS to get Linux loaded but that was no big deal. I also have a low end version on the way, a j4105. It will most likely do HTPC duty.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
1.21.0 is the latest. It can be found on the dell website.
there is a way for dell to check to see what downloads are available if you are running windows 10.

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
1.21.0 is the latest. It can be found on the dell website.
there is a way for dell to check to see what downloads are available if you are running windows 10.
I just updated to 1.21.0. Pisses me off that I had to temporarily install Windows 10 to do so. Dell can KMA.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
It might be possible to update the BIOS from a bootable USB stick, but I have never done it.
Clearly Dell expects people to be running win10.
It might also be possible to do via their ThinOS, but I haven't tried that either.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
It might be possible to update the BIOS from a bootable USB stick, but I have never done it.
Clearly Dell expects people to be running win10.
It might also be possible to do via their ThinOS, but I haven't tried that either.
Dell lists the 5070 as being compatible with several OS's including Linux but yet only allows Windows 10 to be used for updating the BIOS. The only updater I could find was a .exe file.

bigtroutpa

Feb 10, 2023
You dont have to have windows 10 to update the bios, just a usb stick.

Heres straight from the Dell website:

Updating the BIOS from BIOS Boot Menu (independent of operating system)

Note 1: Before updating the BIOS, ensure that you suspend BitLocker encryption on a BitLocker-enabled system. If it is not enabled on your system, you can ignore this step. For information about how to disable BitLocker, see How to Enable or Disable BitLocker with TPM in Windows at support.dell.com.
Note 2: Do not turn off the power or interrupt the BIOS update process during the update.

Installation
1. Copy the downloaded file to a USB drive. The USB drive does not need to be bootable device.
2. Insert the USB drive into any USB port.
3. Power on the system.
4. At the DELL logo screen, press F12 to access the one-time boot menu.
5. Select BIOS Update in the section.
6. Click Flash from file to browse the USB drive to locate the downloaded file.
7. Select the file and click Submit.
8. Verify the existing system BIOS information and the BIOS update information.
9. Click Update BIOS.
10. Review the Warning message and click Confirm Update BIOS! to proceed with the update.

The system restarts and displays a progress bar at the Dell logo screen.
The system restarts again when the update is complete.

When i updated my 5070s i used an 8 gig usb stick formatted as fat32

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
You dont have to have windows 10 to update the bios, just a usb stick.

Heres straight from the Dell website:

Updating the BIOS from BIOS Boot Menu (independent of operating system)

Note 1: Before updating the BIOS, ensure that you suspend BitLocker encryption on a BitLocker-enabled system. If it is not enabled on your system, you can ignore this step. For information about how to disable BitLocker, see How to Enable or Disable BitLocker with TPM in Windows at support.dell.com.
Note 2: Do not turn off the power or interrupt the BIOS update process during the update.

Installation
1. Copy the downloaded file to a USB drive. The USB drive does not need to be bootable device.
2. Insert the USB drive into any USB port.
3. Power on the system.
4. At the DELL logo screen, press F12 to access the one-time boot menu.
5. Select BIOS Update in the section.
6. Click Flash from file to browse the USB drive to locate the downloaded file.
7. Select the file and click Submit.
8. Verify the existing system BIOS information and the BIOS update information.
9. Click Update BIOS.
10. Review the Warning message and click Confirm Update BIOS! to proceed with the update.

The system restarts and displays a progress bar at the Dell logo screen.
The system restarts again when the update is complete.

When i updated my 5070s i used an 8 gig usb stick formatted as fat32
The only file I could find was an .exe file. :(