(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JF62

Mar 1, 2023
You don’t need to use both slots.

I don’t recall seeing the Corsair Vengeance model mentioned to work or not so that will be a risk. Do you know if that module is Single Rank or Dual Rank? It seems that DR modules often work.
On another note, you may even want to use both the 16GB and the 8GB module together. I’ve used a 16GB+4GB for a while.
Thanks for the Hint. I will try now the Crucial RAM CT16G4SFD824A 16GB DDR4 2400MHz CL17 which should be DR and also the Crossair CMSX16GX4M1A2400C16 (no spec about SR or DR found) and will report back which work

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and labxplore

JF62

Mar 1, 2023
Thanks for the Hint. I will try now the Crucial RAM CT16G4SFD824A 16GB DDR4 2400MHz CL17 which should be DR and also the Crossair CMSX16GX4M1A2400C16 (no spec about SR or DR found) and will report back which work
BTW... now I found the thread where I read about the Crossair: https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeServer/comments/v3ft2a
I got my Dell Wyze 5070 with a Celeron J4105 on eBay and it had BIOS version 1.5.
I bought a single stick of Crucial 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL22CT16G4SFRA32A to test. This didn't work, got the POST flashing code for "incompatible memory"

After seeing this thread I bought a pack of Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400MHz 32GB (2x16GB) CMSX32GX4M2A2400C16. This worked perfectly.

I then updated to firmware 1.21.0 and then retested the Crucial CT16G4SFRA32A and it also worked. It is VERY important to make sure you update the BIOs. Get the latest from Dell's site.
Both will be delivered today and then I test and report back

Reactions: Samir

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
BTW... now I found the thread where I read about the Crossair: https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeServer/comments/v3ft2a

g.skill ddr4-2666 16gb works on lower frequency like 2133 or 2400 on wyse 5070 and hp t740. But for crucial, usually I won't be worry about its compatibility issue since this brand tested many motherboards and it has much more experience on compatibility.

Last edited:

mattalat

Dec 28, 2022
I have the Wyse Extended version, and I was planning to use it as a very low power backup solution. I knew that there are no sata slots on the board itself so I knew I had to buy a card for one of the M2 slots. Since I already have the sata ssd slot populated I started looking for a card that fits the A + E slot. I got this one from aliexpress:

And surprisingly it worked out of the box and was recognised in ESXi (6.7). I could even pass it throgh to FreeNas which recognies it immediately.

My setup is a bit wierd since I will run FreeNas Virtualized and will attach the hard drives using a Sata to Esata cable + dock, and I am still waiting for a cable which I can route through the internals so that I can close the enclosure, but I am pretty happy since everything worked out of the box.

@cageek this item might also be of interest to you since it will allow you to try a bunch of more cards.

Pics:

View attachment 15749

View attachment 15748

View attachment 15747
I know this a very old post - but if you're still on here, did you find a cable that routes through the expansion opening? Hoping to do the same thing as you to add an external esata dock.

JF62

Mar 1, 2023

So finally system is up and running smooth with:
- Corsair Vengeance SODIMM 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 2400MHz CL16
- Intenso Top Performance SSD 1 TB M.2 SATA III

I tested also the Crucial RAM CT16G4SFD824A 16GB DDR4 2400MHz CL17 and worked too, but choose the Corsair because of better performance by CL 16

eas

May 25, 2022
Wyse 5070 extended, $109/each with free shipping
Picked one of these up and it arrived today. Turns out I don't have a cable that will work to connect it to my monitor, so it'll take another day before I can try it out. I noticed though that it happened to come with a dual port i350 NIC. That'll make moving off my t620-based firewall a little easier.

heromode

May 25, 2020
Picked one of these up and it arrived today. Turns out I don't have a cable that will work to connect it to my monitor, so it'll take another day before I can try it out. I noticed though that it happened to come with a dual port i350 NIC. That'll make moving off my t620-based firewall a little easier.
Been running opnsense on mine with a quadport i350. Rock stable, and no heat issues since case is perforated. Just be aware that if you run opnsense/pfsense, due to the built in ''real' speaker, the default start/shutdown sound is very LOUD. (it might wake up a baby etc)

bigtroutpa

Feb 10, 2023
Ive been testing my extended in opnsense with different nics, a week at a time actually running my network. Here are results so far if it helps anyone:

Supermicro aoc-sgp-i2 dual port i350= no issues best performance with lowest cpu utilazation numbers.

Built in realtek 8111, with 8111 card in the m2 a+e slot= no issues at all, 3 to 5percent performance hit vs a supermicro dual port i350.and cpu utilization was about 2 to 3 percent higher

Ibm branded Broadcom 5719 4 port nic= no issues, almost as good as the intel, 1 percent performance hit, and cpu untilization about 1 percent higher than the i350 dual port.

Next up as it just arrived, is a Silicom PE2G4I35L which is a 4 port i350 nic. Will test that for the.next week.
Having tested the Silicom card, it works great and works as good as the Supermicro i350 2 port card. No problems at all.

If you have an extended, using a intel i350 or if you cant find one at a good price, for 15 on fleabay a broadcom 5719 based card works well too.
If you have a slim 5070 and have to use the add on realtek 8111, I have had no problems either, you need to add the reatek plugin to opnsense for best performance. I noticed a slight performance hit and more cpu usage but for 1gb internet and less it works just fine.

Last edited:

eas

May 25, 2022
Whelp, my device doesn't boot with the bonus 2-port i350 in place. It has a 2,5 flashing pattern on the power LED which is supposed to mean that "Invalid memory is installed." It boots just fine with the 8GB it came with installed. Haven't wanted to pull down my firewall to try my quad-port yet.

Edit: Looks like this has been discussed before. I guess I'll just try the 4-port and see if it has the same problem.

Last edited:

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
Whelp, my device doesn't boot with the bonus 2-port i350 in place. It has a 2,5 flashing pattern on the power LED which is supposed to mean that "Invalid memory is installed." It boots just fine with the 8GB it came with installed.
Offhand I would search for 'smbus pcie tape' or similar on STH, especially if the i350 card is a server card (I.e. Dell/HP/IBM). Sounds like the exact symptoms others have had with some server cards.

Reactions: Samir, glow and eas

heromode

May 25, 2020
Whelp, my device doesn't boot with the bonus 2-port i350 in place. It has a 2,5 flashing pattern on the power LED which is supposed to mean that "Invalid memory is installed." It boots just fine with the 8GB it came with installed. Haven't wanted to pull down my firewall to try my quad-port yet.

Edit: Looks like this has been discussed before. I guess I'll just try the 4-port and see if it has the same problem.
also ofcourse you did flash the latest bios? also make sure all your USB ports are enabled, as i stated in this thread, 3 of the 6 pcie lanes on this platform are multiplexed with USB and SATA.

correction, multiplexed with USB only, i was mistaken:

"Up to 4 Device Clocks 6 Lanes (3x dedicated lanes and 3x multiplexed with USB 3.0) x1, x2, x4"

Last edited:

heromode

May 25, 2020
This seems like a pretty good deal.

it is. before mine became a opnsense router, i was waiting for parts to my main desktop, and i used this as my main desktop for months, with 1x original 4GB sodimm, and one spare 2133 8GB sodimm for 12GB RAM, and latest debian stable with intel non-free firmware.. I did all my browsing, vivaldi with hundreds of tabs, and watched 4K movies @ 60Hz on it. It was perfectly usable.. My point is it's a very versatile platform. Remember you can presumably add a AMD Radeon Pro WX2100 to it (because the official GPU you can order it with is a Radeon e9173, which should be the consumer version with the same dimensions, altough i can't confirm that)

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

heromode

May 25, 2020
someone in the thread was also considering adding a Edge TPU to his 5070 :) Then there is the rumour of +5V power on the integrated serial ports, adding the option of running a GPS receiver for a local NTP server.. Never followed up if anyone found the answer to that, one serial port logo has a P next to it, which i assume means 'powered'

And of course one of the most important functionality is that you can actually rotate the Dell logo 90 degrees, depending on how your 5070 is positioned! ;)

Reactions: abq and Samir

bigtroutpa

Feb 10, 2023
Uodate:
I just installed my Silicom PE2G4I35L which is quad port i350. It is working well in opnsense so far. After a week of running my network I will compare it to the Broadcom 5719 quad port, the Supermicro dual i350 AOC-SGP-i2 and for those without an extendes, using the built in Realtek 8111, along with a second 8111 via the m2 a+e slot..