(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

duxet

Oct 9, 2022
I've received my RTL8125BG M.2 card today. The good news is that it seems to be stable enough with 6.1-rc2 kernel, although I haven't tested it with 2.5gbe connection yet.

Now my entire box consumes 4.4W in idle (it was ~5.5W with USB ethernet adapter).

The only issue is that connectors are facing backward, even though on Aliexpress photos they were facing top :rolleyes:

20221117_170621.jpg
20221117_170607.jpg

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Reactions: Samir and abq

virulent

Jul 3, 2019
I wanted to add extra storage to a few wyse 5070s but only had a few 2TB nvme drives from a price error. Just wanted to report success with this adapter in the WLAN slot: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001856362620.html

With 2TB Intel 670p (INTEL SSDPEKNU020TZ) seems to be working quite well in 3 wyse 5070s.

Code:
$ lspci
[...]
02:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Intel Corporation Device f1aa (rev 03)
Seems to nego at 5 GT/s (I was expecting 2.5 or 5 based on previous posts here) which seems right as I am getting around 400 MB/s reads and writes out of the adapter. A little bit slower than the 3+ GB/s one would normally expect but for extra SSD storage it's great so far.

Temperatures are also fine and exposed via sensors, at normal idle load both CPU and NVMe are around 50*C.

Code:
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +54.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:        +54.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:        +54.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:        +54.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:        +54.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:        +53.0°C  (crit = +95.0°C)

nvme-pci-0200
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite:    +47.9°C  (low  =  -0.1°C, high = +76.8°C)
                       (crit = +79.8°C)
It's a little ridiculous but these things are great for being low power and fanless.

Reactions: Samir and ouest

bashywash

May 4, 2017
so, my "broken" (or unknown state) 5070 I just plugged in again after a while of not using it (with no ssd and memory installed) and suprisingly it didn't stay amber, but went quickly to a white and then an amber blinking (3 then 2 blinks in repetition). I stuck the 4GB sodimm in and it stayed white or a bit, then seemed to "reboot" (went off, then amber for a moment, then back to white). but I wasn't able to see anything on video and usb isn't seeming to give power to keyboard or a memory stick). I then unplugged it and plugged in a spare 16GB m.2 stick from my 5470 and it has a green led that lights up, so ssd is getting power too.

even more confused now.
Were you ever able to fix your issue? My Wyze 5070 is having the exact same problem and I've followed your posts regarding this and tried all the steps recommended without any luck!

Thanks

Reactions: Samir

mattalat

Dec 28, 2022
I wanted to add extra storage to a few wyse 5070s but only had a few 2TB nvme drives from a price error. Just wanted to report success with this adapter in the WLAN slot: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001856362620.html

With 2TB Intel 670p (INTEL SSDPEKNU020TZ) seems to be working quite well in 3 wyse 5070s.

Code:
$ lspci
[...]
02:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Intel Corporation Device f1aa (rev 03)
Seems to nego at 5 GT/s (I was expecting 2.5 or 5 based on previous posts here) which seems right as I am getting around 400 MB/s reads and writes out of the adapter. A little bit slower than the 3+ GB/s one would normally expect but for extra SSD storage it's great so far.

Temperatures are also fine and exposed via sensors, at normal idle load both CPU and NVMe are around 50*C.

Code:
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +54.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:        +54.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:        +54.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:        +54.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:        +54.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:        +53.0°C  (crit = +95.0°C)

nvme-pci-0200
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite:    +47.9°C  (low  =  -0.1°C, high = +76.8°C)
                       (crit = +79.8°C)
It's a little ridiculous but these things are great for being low power and fanless.
Nice. Were you able to secure the SSD somewhere in the case or is it just sorta flopping around in there? Would performance of an NVME drive in this configuration be significantly faster than an M.2 SATA SSD in the other slot (ie: is there any limitation to the adapter setup?)

virulent

Jul 3, 2019
Nice. Were you able to secure the SSD somewhere in the case or is it just sorta flopping around in there? Would performance of an NVME drive in this configuration be significantly faster than an M.2 SATA SSD in the other slot (ie: is there any limitation to the adapter setup?)
I have it wedged between the ethernet port and a tab? above it - so it's 50% secure 50% flopping, I think I just need a small bit of sticky strip/tape to secure it to the ethernet shield next time I move it and call it a day :eek:

The m.2 sata slot is 6 gbit/s so if anything the adapter (5 gbit/s) is a bit slower. Would need 32 gbit/s to max out the NVMe drive... sad :)

I don't know enough to know if latency is much different but have noticed much more reliable longhorn (k8s) performance which kinda makes sense when it expects dedicated disks. Random iops are better but likely a difference between the SATA SSD (WD Blue SA510) and the 670p more than anything else -- one of the SA510's were DOA so one of the others might be mucking things up on the base os still..

mattalat

Dec 28, 2022
I have it wedged between the ethernet port and a tab? above it - so it's 50% secure 50% flopping, I think I just need a small bit of sticky strip/tape to secure it to the ethernet shield next time I move it and call it a day :eek:

The m.2 sata slot is 6 gbit/s so if anything the adapter (5 gbit/s) is a bit slower. Would need 32 gbit/s to max out the NVMe drive... sad :)

I don't know enough to know if latency is much different but have noticed much more reliable longhorn (k8s) performance which kinda makes sense when it expects dedicated disks. Random iops are better but likely a difference between the SATA SSD (WD Blue SA510) and the 670p more than anything else -- one of the SA510's were DOA so one of the others might be mucking things up on the base os still..
Ahh ok so not much faster than a USB3 drive then. I currently have an SA510 1 TB drive in the M.2 SATA slot, but if I need more storage in the future I may try one of those adapters so that it can all be internal. The NVME drive hasn't been getting too hot in there?

virulent

Jul 3, 2019
Ahh ok so not much faster than a USB3 drive then. I currently have an SA510 1 TB drive in the M.2 SATA slot, but if I need more storage in the future I may try one of those adapters so that it can all be internal. The NVME drive hasn't been getting too hot in there?
Temps seem fine, haven't seen them go above 48*C in normal use - but no telegraf setup right now to see the real peaks.
Running fio rand i/o tests it gets to 63*C and stays there. Went back down to ~48 pretty quickly after it finished.

There is an internal USB3 header too :) I plan to jerry rig one last drive laying around (a 1 TB SN550 NVMe) into my 5070 Extended. I want to try the internal USB3 header with an adapter but not sure yet - need to break it open and see how comfortable space is inside with the 4 port nic installed, as I doubt I'd fit one of the aliexpress m.2 wifi adapters without some top sketch.

mattalat

Dec 28, 2022
Temps seem fine, haven't seen them go above 48*C in normal use - but no telegraf setup right now to see the real peaks.
Running fio rand i/o tests it gets to 63*C and stays there. Went back down to ~48 pretty quickly after it finished.

There is an internal USB3 header too :) I plan to jerry rig one last drive laying around (a 1 TB SN550 NVMe) into my 5070 Extended. I want to try the internal USB3 header with an adapter but not sure yet - need to break it open and see how comfortable space is inside with the 4 port nic installed, as I doubt I'd fit one of the aliexpress m.2 wifi adapters without some top sketch.
Ohh yeah, definitely post an update if you do that. Love the idea of having 3 drives internally in this tiny form factor.

mattalat

Dec 28, 2022
Do you guys keep bios at latest version? Dell lists the latest version as a "critical" update. My box came with a very old version (1.10). Should I upgrade or just leave it and not risk breaking anything?

tarianjed

Jul 4, 2022
I am running into an issue where if I plugin my connectx-3 10GB into the PCIE slot of the Wyse 5070 extended it seems to prevent the bios from detecting my SATA m.2 drive and after a normal reboot the connectx-3 stops being detected. If I do a clean boot (turn off, unplug power, press power button, plug in power, turn on) the connectx-3 will show up and work fine until the next normal reboot. Anyone have any ideas?
I am currently looking into disabling flexboot to see if it is interrupting the boot process some how.

WerewolfJones

May 24, 2020
I'm looking at getting one of these very cheap on ebay, sans power adapter. They use the same type of AC adapter as dell laptops, right? I have plenty of those sitting around the house

WerewolfJones

May 24, 2020
$36 + shipping, without AC adapter or storage, and I put in a (currently pending) offer for $30. There were better specced options for about the same total price a couple of weeks ago, but I have all these laptop chargers, an 8GB DIMM and an m.2 sata drive I'm not using, so why not?

e: accepted at $30 + ~$12 domestic shipping

Last edited:

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
I'm looking at getting one of these very cheap on ebay, sans power adapter. They use the same type of AC adapter as dell laptops, right? I have plenty of those sitting around the house
Yes, the PA-10, PA-12, PA-13 laptop family (depending on wattage) should work - 65W is all you need on a slim. If you want closer to stock, the squarish power supplies from Dell are more official - dell (6kxkh,06kxkh,6tm1c,06tm1c) is my search.

mattalat

Dec 28, 2022
Just a heads up that a bunch of these are available for cheap on shopgoodwill.com. Got mine there for 37 bucks plus shipping. Just make sure to only place a bid at the last possible second.