(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Aluminat

Jul 5, 2019
As others have found, the M.2 slot is very picky when it comes to NICs. I've bought an Intel-based M.2 NIC on Amazon, but it's not recognized. I tried all combinations in the BIOS of '2nd NIC' and 'WiFi', but no dice.

The only confirmed working NICs I'm seeing in this thread are Realtek-based. Would that be a coincidence, or could it hint at some sort or similar SMBUS issue found only with Intel chips?
No. My Intel I211 based working fine under windows 10 LTSC. Here is some ss

Attachments

Reactions: Goossens and Samir

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
Further update on the non-emmc one I bought: IoT LTSC lost its activation. I installed Windows 10 LTSC, but that license from the embedded code claims to be expired.

Even with the Windows sticker and an embedded key in the bios, if you buy an eBay model you may not have a valid Windows key.

Reactions: Samir

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
I could never activate my 5470 via installation media, but it seemed that iot installed fine via the dell insallation (though that install filter driver that prevents you from actually writing to the emmc, so basically one has to go through ugly steps to remove the thin client veneer from the iot installation

e97

Jun 3, 2015
What screw and standoff do i need for the ssd, ordered a M3 and couldn't screw it in, do i need a M2.5?
Any links from ali

Also have ordered this card, do you have to cut the case to fit it in the expansior port? and if so what would i use to cut it?
If I remember correctly M2.5. There's a Dell manual with all the screw sizes.

No modifications with the card I linked. It fits well and the case closes issue. Requires a 3d printed bracket for the RJ45 jack if you want the OEM look.

The taobao item linked looks even better, choice of chipset and bracket included which is specific for the Wyse 5070. Sadly, says it wont ship overseas to US for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: azif and Samir

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I have two dell / wyse 5070 computers. One has 4gb and the other has two 4gb memory sticks.
I wanted more memory.
I used the chart of comparable memory from ASRock > J5005-ITX
I bought 2 sticks of samsung 8GB PC4-2133P M471A1K43BB0-CPB.
I can boot using one stick of 8gb memory. After quite a bit of fussing around, I could get the 5070 to boot using one 8gb stick and the OEM stick. There was nothing I could do to get both 8gb sticks to boot. When they were both installed the computer would power up, though I got no video. If I turned the computer off, it would wait a few seconds then power itself back up again.

Does anyone have advice on how to get 16gb of memory working in this computer?

glow

Mar 22, 2022
Some thoughts:

Apparently, the M.2 drive's standoff is a 6-32 4mm standoff. Used to be a common PC standoff, before M.3 4mm standoffs became more common. The part number is printed in the silkscreen, 7W94R, but good luck sourcing it.
Seems to be a 3rd party screw kit on Amazon that has a 6-32 4mm standoff that converts to M3 threading up top.

The Extended's PCIe slot has a slightly undersized bracket opening and clearance for the card near the bracket area. Not a massive impedance, but some cards will run into minor (or major) fitment issues.

Aside:
Next time, I'm just going to eat the size cost of a mITX build (sheer cost as well). Still keeping these units around, since I do have uses for the serial ports. Less so for the parallel port, since I have microcontrollers for those kinds of projects nowadays. Shame the Lone L5 isn't around anymore, the Lazer3D HT5 is so expensive, the HDPlex H_ is expensive+unavailable, and the Streacom DB_ has the same problems as the latter. Clones are scarce, too. Must really be a dead end evolution. Not a massive fan of risers, but it seems I will have to go that way.

Reactions: abq and Samir

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
Apparently, the M.2 drive's standoff is a 6-32 4mm standoff. Used to be a common PC standoff, before M.3 4mm standoffs became more common. The part number is printed in the silkscreen, 7W94R, but good luck sourcing it.
As someone posted earlier, the work around is to take a standard brass motherboard standoff and grind it down to ~4mm. Works great and can be done very quick.

e97

Jun 3, 2015
I'm not order from amz nor ebay.
I ordered from taobao. They do have different variant option from realtek to Intel.

Thanks! Unfortunately this item can't be shipped to my country though.
Try superbuy.com which would be an additional $3-4 for shipping + agent fee. I used it in the past for a water cooling pump.
Sightly more expensive than taobao directly but less hassle managing the consolidated shipping yourself.