(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Goossens

May 2, 2020
If it helps, the memory sticks have smbus addresses too (where their memory timing profiles and sometimes RGB controllers are accessed). Given both of us saw the white/amber blink pattern give a memory POST code, maybe different sticks of ram may work? Only bother trying this if you already have other ddr4 sodimms, obviously, since this is just a bad idea that I have.
Thank you so much for your insight. It indeed seems very likely that the SMBUS address overlaps with the RAM given the POST code and the comments in the link that @cageek posted. I've tried multiple variations (single/double sticks, slot A/B, various sizes, different brands, etc) but I keep getting the same POST code.

I've updated the NIC using Intel's BootUtil to 27.3, but this only updates the Option ROM and not the actual firmware? (And also didn't help with the POST code.) Would it make sense to try and update the firmware using the updater from Dell? I'd like to see if this can be fixed with firmware updates or cross-flash to stock Intel before resorting to the 'tape the PCIe pins' method... :)

Reactions: Samir

Goossens

May 2, 2020
Update: Went into the rabbit hole on the SMBUS issue today, but in the end the tape-trick worked like a charm... I now have a working Dell X520 in the Wyse 5070 by taping over pins 5 and 6.

e97

Jun 3, 2015
Working on adding a GPS module to the serial port for NTP.

Right now I'm seeing -5V on some serial pins. Does switching the jumper convert this to +5V ?

Any one have more info on the serial port and power jumper? The user guide has one line that says it can power 5V/1A and google fu isn't turning up anything else

@Fritz
remove everything after the item number:
ex: ebay.com/itm/255554382931?epid=5032340440&hash=item3b803a6c53:g:nAkAAOSwNTdij8fw -> ebay.com/itm/255554382931

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
I bought a RJ45 module from below:

But after installed it on the 5070 extended, its RJ45 led lights are not able to blink when a network cable plugged in, and the Proxmox haven't found this hardware. Did I forget something?

Last edited:

e97

Jun 3, 2015
Reactions: Samir and newabc

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
FWIW: I got this and it works:
Mini PCIE Network Card M.2 A+E To RTL8111F Gigabit Ethernet Card Single Port RJ45 Ethernet Network Card
11.68US $ 30% OFF|Mini PCIE Network Card M.2 A+E To RTL8111F Gigabit Ethernet Card Single Port RJ45 Ethernet Network Card| | - AliExpress ~$13 shipped

Now, need to design and 3D print a bracket!
That looks like the Winyao/DF-robot M.2 NIC I got. If so, I've been using this for about 4 months with pfsense, after using a Commell intel NIC for about a year. I put my 3D-printed adapter up on github and thingiverse (models for either NIC):

azif

Jun 2, 2022
What screw and standoff do i need for the ssd, ordered a M3 and couldn't screw it in, do i need a M2.5?
Any links from ali

Also have ordered this card, do you have to cut the case to fit it in the expansior port? and if so what would i use to cut it?

FWIW: I got this and it works:
Mini PCIE Network Card M.2 A+E To RTL8111F Gigabit Ethernet Card Single Port RJ45 Ethernet Network Card
11.68US $ 30% OFF|Mini PCIE Network Card M.2 A+E To RTL8111F Gigabit Ethernet Card Single Port RJ45 Ethernet Network Card| | - AliExpress ~$13 shipped

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
Weird question: I bought one from @Fritz 's most recent link (now sold out). These didn't come with emmc, and were locked with bios passwords not part of the default setup. I jumper'd and reset bios, and I'm good to go. I installed Win 10 Enterprise LTSC Eval, and used wmic path SoftwareLicensingService to get a product key.

Except that the key doesn't work for this version. I tried a 3rd party software to figure out what key this is for, but to no avail.

Any ideas which versions of Windows key would be embedded into the bios without emmc?

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Weird question: I bought one from @Fritz 's most recent link (now sold out). These didn't come with emmc, and were locked with bios passwords not part of the default setup. I jumper'd and reset bios, and I'm good to go. I installed Win 10 Enterprise LTSC Eval, and used wmic path SoftwareLicensingService to get a product key.

Except that the key doesn't work for this version. I tried a 3rd party software to figure out what key this is for, but to no avail.

Any ideas which versions of Windows key would be embedded into the bios without emmc?
Does your unit have a Windows COA on it? Many of these units came with wyse thinos which wouldn't have a license tied to the mb.

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
Does your unit have a Windows COA on it? Many of these units came with wyse thinos which wouldn't have a license tied to the mb.
It does have the sticker, and again, I was able to dig in and find a key. I've tried following Dell's recommendation with the USB tool, but the tool doesn't work (practically every option is grayed out, it sees any type of usb drive as not-usb. This has been tried on multiple WIndows pc's).

I found an ISO from the internet for iot ltsc and it doesn't recognize the key either.

Disregard. The gray area ISO (en-us_windows_10_iot_enterprise_ltsc_2021_x64_dvd_257ad90f) registers after install. During install it won't recognize the key.

So if you want Windows and are having problems with official routes, use Rufus and the internet to solve it.

UPDATE: Windows installed. Intel drivers updated. Plex client runs terribly. So choppy for 1080p. So those looking to use this as an HTPC had better get ready to spend hours figuring out optimal settings, because I used all of the same ones as other PC's on my network.

Last edited:

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
It does have the sticker, and again, I was able to dig in and find a key. I've tried following Dell's recommendation with the USB tool, but the tool doesn't work (practically every option is grayed out, it sees any type of usb drive as not-usb. This has been tried on multiple WIndows pc's).

I found an ISO from the internet for iot ltsc and it doesn't recognize the key either.

Disregard. The gray area ISO (en-us_windows_10_iot_enterprise_ltsc_2021_x64_dvd_257ad90f) registers after install. During install it won't recognize the key.

So if you want Windows and are having problems with official routes, use Rufus and the internet to solve it.

UPDATE: Windows installed. Intel drivers updated. Plex client runs terribly. So choppy for 1080p. So those looking to use this as an HTPC had better get ready to spend hours figuring out optimal settings, because I used all of the same ones as other PC's on my network.
Glad you were able to figure this out. Yeah plex is going to be too heavy for these as they're designed to be low power and 'thin' so it's like like running plex on a stripped down laptop. Now, there are some available with a pcie slot and those with a quadro card for transcode help would probably work well, but then again, you could get a newer usff micro that would have a more powerful cpu and could probably get away without a gpu.

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
Glad you were able to figure this out. Yeah plex is going to be too heavy for these as they're designed to be low power and 'thin' so it's like like running plex on a stripped down laptop. Now, there are some available with a pcie slot and those with a quadro card for transcode help would probably work well, but then again, you could get a newer usff micro that would have a more powerful cpu and could probably get away without a gpu.
As a Plex server, I'd understand. I tried this as a Plex client and it wasn't able to perform. That's not acceptable since many laptops with lower passmark scores can play network 1080p h264 without an issue.

Point taken, that this level of "thin" can't keep up.

azif

Jun 2, 2022
Still trying to work out the best way to open the expansion slot.

Slightly tangential - I moved a laptop drive with activated win10 to the wyse and the install is still working / says activated by digital licence. Unit doesn't have an embedded license so confused how it is still working.

As a Plex server, I'd understand. I tried this as a Plex client and it wasn't able to perform. That's not acceptable since many laptops with lower passmark scores can play network 1080p h264 without an issue.
I'm playing 10bit hevc 1080p fine in windows 10 on the j5005 without stutters directly from my nas.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Slightly tangential - I moved a laptop drive with activated win10 to the wyse and the install is still working / says activated by digital licence. Unit doesn't have an embedded license so confused how it is still working.
Might take a while for the license to 'error out' as the system has to 'phone home' first.

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
my big money bet: you have enabled (or they came enabled by default) the video improvement settings in the video control panel.

disable all of them and you'll see performance work great.

Reactions: abq and Samir

Goossens

May 2, 2020
As others have found, the M.2 slot is very picky when it comes to NICs. I've bought an Intel-based M.2 NIC on Amazon, but it's not recognized. I tried all combinations in the BIOS of '2nd NIC' and 'WiFi', but no dice.

The only confirmed working NICs I'm seeing in this thread are Realtek-based. Would that be a coincidence, or could it hint at some sort or similar SMBUS issue found only with Intel chips?