(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
can someone also confirm what the default jumper 1 position is? (i.e. there are 3 possibilities, cmos clr, power clr, service mode I believe, for some reason when I looked at it it was on power clr which I think is default, but can't confirm).

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
can someone also confirm what the default jumper 1 position is? (i.e. there are 3 possibilities, cmos clr, power clr, service mode I believe, for some reason when I looked at it it was on power clr which I think is default, but can't confirm).

https://dl.dell.com/content/manual6...-client-user-guide.pdf?language=en-us&ps=true (page 13)

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
so I tried reoving the cmos battery for an extended period of time. didnt help. power light stays solid amber, cpu gets hot, ethernet blinks, but get no power to usb (i.e. usb keys dont light up / keyboard get any led lit).

wondering if/how i killed it.

glow

Mar 22, 2022
If the sata drive is installed, try removing it? Mine exhibited similar symptoms with one Intel X520 card (Dell variant) but was fine with another.

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
If the sata drive is installed, try removing it? Mine exhibited similar symptoms with one Intel X520 card (Dell variant) but was fine with another.
so there was no m.2 sata drive installed originally, I did insert one as a test and then removed it (currently removed) (IIRC it had storage even without any m.2 installed, as opposed to my 5470 whose only storage is via m.2 port)

vtech

Feb 9, 2022
so there was no m.2 sata drive installed originally, I did insert one as a test and then removed it (currently removed) (IIRC it had storage even without any m.2 installed, as opposed to my 5470 whose only storage is via m.2 port)
Couple things you can try.

First, unplug and put the jumper on the CMOS clear. (frontmost jumper pos)
Plug in and press power button several times.
Unplug and return to middle jumper position (default)

Unplug and plug in. does it light up amber, and then white, and then power off? This would be a good sign.

Take everything out, even the RAM, only things plugged in should be the cpu fan(on an extended) and power button. Does the amber light blink now? If No, then you are looking at some hardware damage, or corrupted BIOS.

If you get amber blinking, try different ram, re-seating ram etc.

Oh, and another thing...

Is it/was it ever attached to a wall mount or VESA bracket? If it was, and you used the same screws from the wall mount then you may have tightened the screws right into the back of the board and it is pretty much done for.

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
thanks for the response, but nothing has helped.

so I think I tried all that (I think before, but again right now).

nothing is hooked up to machine except power, cpu and ram and jumper in cmos. no light. press button 5-10 times

unplug, reset jumper to middle. amber light comes on immeaditely and stay on. if I hold it down for an extended period of time, it blinks off, then comes back amber.

unplugged it again, removed ram. plugged it, comes up solid amber again.

I'm wondering if it happened when I tried installing an ssd (sata - sandisk x400 - brought one back with me form a visit to my parent to the US and didn't even try to bring it up without as had previously worked, just installed the ssd like I normally do, and it never came up (didn't even seem like then that it was powering on at all, which confused me). I took out the ssd and have now been at this stage. I noticed when i removed the ssd that it didn't seem to be horizontle (i.e. screwing it down had it angled downwards towards the screw area. Wondering if that put strain on it or maybe similarly to the vesa issue I did something while screwing / unscrewing it.

and as I think I noted, heatsink is pretty hot to the touch right now with it powered with amber light, so cpu must be getting power.

edited: a few times to make accurate, shouldn't stop/starting writing a post a few times, one forgets what one already typed.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
What do you guys think of this: https://www.amazon.com/Sedna-Express-Adapter-Connector-Included/dp/B01452SP1O
or even this if its not too long:

As a way to get extra storage inside the Extended version of the chassis? In that way you can get the m.2 sata+ a normal 2.5" SATA drive running - provided the adapter is not too big for the chassis?

Also - Would it make sense for someone (@Patrick ) perhaps to sticky this thread - or make it into a proper resource, where we can have some kind of list of supported equipment and their part numbers?

Alternatively we could make a github repository and just use the "wiki" built in for lists of equipment etc?

I am willing to set up the initial repository if people think its a good idea.

Last edited:

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Reviews for this Senda stuff on amazon aren't too great, from shady build quality (look at soldering pic) to fact that both boards only use PCIe v2 x1 - ie limited to 400MBps tops. The double card would not fit in 5070 extended.

glow

Mar 22, 2022
Neither will fit without modification, afaik. Low profile cards have a main body less than 2.5" wide (not including PCIe fingers or the bracket). 2.5" drives are... well...

Wyse 5070 extended only supports low profile, single slot cards.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Wyse 5070 extended only supports low profile, single slot cards.
When I get my machines I think I will measure what can be done and see if I can mcgyver something in. Otherwise my plan to use these machines as a ceph cluster goes to the gutter.

And m.2. is not really an option I think, even though you should be able to get low profile pcie cards with room for two m.2. drives - but m.2 drives in enterprise quality are not cheap if even possible to get your hands on - and normal 2.5" SATA ssd's are plenty for enterprise disks.

But lets see - I am also wondering if an E-SATA solution might be the way to go, have one E-SATA pci-e card and a dock for each machine - but that would make it expensive and suddenly I could have bought much better machines for the same money.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Bjorn Smith maybe someone wants to pull info and make a resource with it? I agree it is getting long, but we also typically do not sticky great deals.

JayRandom

Jul 9, 2021
When I get my machines I think I will measure what can be done and see if I can mcgyver something in. Otherwise my plan to use these machines as a ceph cluster goes to the gutter.

And m.2. is not really an option I think, even though you should be able to get low profile pcie cards with room for two m.2. drives - but m.2 drives in enterprise quality are not cheap if even possible to get your hands on - and normal 2.5" SATA ssd's are plenty for enterprise disks.

But lets see - I am also wondering if an E-SATA solution might be the way to go, have one E-SATA pci-e card and a dock for each machine - but that would make it expensive and suddenly I could have bought much better machines for the same money.
I've been using a pair of non-extended 5070s as two of my three-node ceph cluster (the third is a T640). I've jury-triggered a single internal 2.5" SSD for the boot disk, and a portable USB 3TB hard drive for the ceph drive (because I wanted cheap storage that didn't need an extra power supply or generate too much heat).

You could use the USB 3.0 or USB-C ports with a portable SSD if you need more iops or throughput. (I have some backups, a registry, and MySQL/WordPress, but nothing heavy-duty running.)

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
@Bjorn Smith maybe someone wants to pull info and make a resource with it? I agree it is getting long, but we also typically do not sticky great deals.
I agree - I think what I meant was promote this thread to something else - or distill the great information in this thread somewhere, so its not scattered across 18 pages.

JayRandom

Jul 9, 2021
How did you manage to get power to the SSD?
Ugh, this is what happens when I speak from memory rather than opening things up. I was thinking of my 5060s that were an earlier iteration. For those, this was a solid write-up. For the 5070s, I ordered a SATA m.2 drive instead. Since I was only using it for boot / container image storage, 128-256GB has worked fine; the T640 runs hotter and I needed to put an m.2 heat spreader in it.

JayRandom

Jul 9, 2021
If nothing else, it might drive down the eBay prices.

I don't need another right now, but there's a J5005/8gb RAM/64gb SSD (not eMMC) for $121 that feels like a sweet spot if you add USB external drives for additional storage.