(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
@WANg (or other Wyse 5070 experts like @Samir;), great idea on protecting the eMMC from heavy writes or wearing out. ...But how did you exclude (disable) the eMMC in the Wyse 5070 BIOS? ...I hit F2 to access BIOS Set-Up, and reset to the default BIOS setting, and cannot find the eMMC. I realize the eMMC isn't really a SATA device, but cannot find anything in BIOS setup for the eMMC. My 120GB M.2 SSD does show up as in BIOS Settings > System Configuration > Drives > SATA-0, but I cannot find anything for disabling or even viewing the expected ~16GB eMMC. ...I have disabled secure boot, to make sure I can load Lunbuntu from USB drive.

My goal is to save & protect the eMMC with existing Thin Client software. I want to eventually experiment with the Linux thin client, but probably won't happen anytime soon. For now I just want to install Lunbuntu LTS 20.4 on the 120GB SSD, and set up 5070 as my print server. ...I am setting up CUPS style print server, because Google sunset their excellent Google Cloud Printer service:(.

Cheers, ABQ :)
Clonezilla is really good for preserving original installs like that. I usually will do this before I even connect a device to the network. :)

Reactions: abq

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
That's why almost all thin client OS that I am aware of (HP ThinPro, Wyse ThinOS, Win7/10 IoT) maps the boot media as read-only and uses copy-on-write in a RAMdisk for anything transient.
Generally this is the case, but it can be turned off and in the case of the Fujitsu S920, it comes off by default when re-imaging it until you enable it.

But the flash storage used by these manufacturers is not bargain basement stuff and is better than most consumer stuff, so unless you're constantly writing to it I don't think you'll wear it out even without a 'write filter' enabled. :)

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I have a weird Q, has anyone actually used this as a thin client as its supposed to be with windows 2012 R2? I'm wondering if this would be a good solution for me to help my parents with. stick a relatively cheap off lease server in their home, give them VDI with 2 (or more) of these and able to manage things remotely. The main things I could see being an issue. 1) youtube video and 2) Zoom / other video conferencing systems. Wondering if anyone has experience on that side.
I actually use the previous generations, z90xx series as RDP clients and initially forayed into thin clients because of the same issue--parents who were messing up their computers regularly.

They are good as RDP clients with windows or their thin OS on them, but they are only as good as the system they are RDPing into--ie, if the source system can't deliver video smoothly, the thin client won't either. Now, keep in mind that the G-T52R processor on my old ones is significantly slower than the J5005 that is available on these newer ones, so these issues may not be as bad today:

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
any idea would it work for the purpose of setting NAS, if insert a 4x Sata ports card into the 5070 extended?
would 5070 Bios support booting from those 4x Sata harddisk ports?
If the sata card has its own bios, it might.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO

Daredevil

Dec 3, 2021
I just picked up a 5070 Thin non extended ( Celeron Model )
Anyone know what M.2 SSD is compatible?
I bought a Kingston 500GB M.2 but it's not showing up in the bios ( currently 1.5.0) This model below

I've read online that people have had the same issue because this model doesn't support NVME.

Currently running windows 10 off the onboard eMMc it's full with no windows updates installed. Would like to get an M.2 and just boot off that instead.

Any help much appreciated thanks

Reactions: Samir

AceGunner

Feb 27, 2020
I just picked up a 5070 Thin non extended ( Celeron Model )
Anyone know what M.2 SSD is compatible?
I bought a Kingston 500GB M.2 but it's not showing up in the bios ( currently 1.5.0) This model below

I've read online that people have had the same issue because this model doesn't support NVME.

Currently running windows 10 off the onboard eMMc it's full with no windows updates installed. Would like to get an M.2 and just boot off that instead.

Any help much appreciated thanks
You bought an NVME drive.

Here are a few SATA M.2

TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB with SLC Cache 3D NAND TLC M.2 2280 SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive SSD (Read/Write Speed up to 530/480 MB/s) Compatible with Laptop & PC Desktop TM8PS7001T0C101 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GL4M3H...abc_QFCZPFR6PCEYVCFZP9YF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: Samir and Daredevil

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I have 2 of the dell/wyse 5070. I bought one team drive and one wd blue. The team drive was a few dollars less, was a bit slower, and didn't have any software utilities.
If you can find a sata m2 drive that has on board DRAM, it will be higher performance than the team or wd blue drives.

Reactions: Samir and Daredevil

AceGunner

Feb 27, 2020
I have 2 of the dell/wyse 5070. I bought one team drive and one wd blue. The team drive was a few dollars less, was a bit slower, and didn't have any software utilities.
If you can find a sata m2 drive that has on board DRAM, it will be higher performance than the team or wd blue drives.
I'm using the Crucial MX500 for mine. They are hard to come by now. Most of the companies are favoring towards the NVME drives.

Daredevil

Dec 3, 2021
Looking now hard to filter out the non NVME ones especially on Amazon UK/DE

Like AceGunner said most companies stocking NVME variants

AceGunner

Feb 27, 2020
Looking now hard to filter out the non NVME ones especially on Amazon UK/DE

Like AceGunner said most companies stocking NVME variants
For the DE Amazon, I'm seeing very few SATA M.2. WD Blue, Samsung 860, and Verbatim. If you want to spend the money for performance, then I would go with Samsung 860. I didn't a know a CD company made SSDs. WD Blue is a good middle ground.

forests_gump

Feb 18, 2021
Hi,

Any one used that internal USB port? I found something like this:

Hopefully i can add second ssd on usb 3.0 inside the 5070 thin. Hope it fits
This connector works on 5070 internal usb. I am using it as well.

Reactions: Samir and newabc

Jmd

Dec 14, 2021
Hi everyone. I just received a couple 5070 extended versions then I also picked up a couple wyse5470aio units which run the same processor.

I have them setup to triple boot windows 11/ Ubuntu 20.04/ and Android x86-64 (bliss 14.3). They work very well for what they are.

I have only tested them with 4gb and 8gb of ram installed. However I just ordered a pair of 16gb sticks and will be trying to see if I can get windows 11 to boot and be stable with 32gb once they arrive. I hear that's impossible.

I have read posts on other forums mostly old threads but they claim similar slow boot and unresponsive windows only when 32gb was installed. However some people were able to solve the problem by going into the bios and setting onboard graphics on all the time irregardless if external gpu is used instead and setting shared memory to onboard graphics to maximum allowed and it solved the slow response and boot times for Windows. I didn't see an option to set shared memory amount in the 5070 bios but has anyone tried to extensively test all bios options and see if anything will allow windows to work properly with 32gb ram on these motherboards?

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
Based on what I have read, your RAM needs to be double ranked. I purchased a generic 8gb stick, and it would work by itself, but not at the same time as the 4gb that came with my unit. I got a 4gb stick from a friend, which would work with the existing 4gb. I have a list of recommended ram for another computer with the same chipset.