(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
any idea would it work for the purpose of setting NAS, if insert a 4x Sata ports card into the 5070 extended?
would 5070 Bios support booting from those 4x Sata harddisk ports?
Eh, are you hooking an external power supply for the 4 SATA drives? It probably wouldn't boot off the card (especially if it's a JBOD card) but my own 5070 is the thin one and all I have is an M.2 based quad SATA card. Pretty sure you can in theory (not that its a great idea) install TrueNAS core into the eMMC on the thin client and then run a 4 drive cage off a card. I did have the crazy idea of doing that with an HP t420, an external cage and my old Cobalt Qube chassis...

Reactions: Samir

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
It'll work fine - the SoC uses the Kaby Lake GT2 GPU - it's not that powerful but it can offload H264/H265. I mean, if you want more *oooomph*, buy a newer t640 thin client (100 bucks on eBay) - that one has about 20-30% more CPU/GPU firepower.
ah yes, I saw your mini reviews in its thread.

forests_gump

Feb 18, 2021
Eh, are you hooking an external power supply for the 4 SATA drives? It probably wouldn't boot off the card (especially if it's a JBOD card) but my own 5070 is the thin one and all I have is an M.2 based quad SATA card. Pretty sure you can in theory (not that its a great idea) install TrueNAS core into the eMMC on the thin client and then run a 4 drive cage off a card. I did have the crazy idea of doing that with an HP t420, an external cage and my old Cobalt Qube chassis...
Hey there thanks for responsing; I am considering powering 2.5" laptop drives instead of 3.5", since 2.5" drives can be powered via USB (also i may not use-up all the 4x sata).
by the way, for your 5070 thin having M2 based quad SATA, do you see those quad sata on the boot menus in BIOS?

lerehacktif

Feb 18, 2021
Hi, I'm trying to replace Windows 10 on my wyse 5070 by truenas but Every time the process is hanging at the HDD write step installation. Do I have make something in the bios?

lerehacktif

Feb 18, 2021
Okay. Are you planning to use this as a single drive NAS (it's not really a NAS where you can mount more than one drive and standard high capacity spinn
Okay. Are you planning to use this as a single drive NAS (it's not really a NAS where you can mount more than one drive and standard high capacity spinners at that, this is more like a single SSD), and how would using multiple USB based NICs make it better? The stability and reliability of your NAS relies upon a) the USB NIC b) The electronics on the ports and internal hub and c) The sanity of the USB stack in your OS? That's 3 potential points of failure.

Why not just buy a 5070 "big" or an HP t730 with a PCIe slot, or a t640 with the potential for a secondary fiber NIC? Hell, even the HPe EC200a has 2 GigE ports.
Hi, you said USB hub isn't a good idea in use for hdd and ethernet extention? I know USB can't be used in raid configuration but my opinion is to have two nas units in different locations and to use rsync services to duplicate data. Also can you help about how to replace windows 10 on my wyse by truenas each time the installation process is hanging at write hdd step like something in the bios is locking the hdd write!

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Hey there thanks for responsing; I am considering powering 2.5" laptop drives instead of 3.5", since 2.5" drives can be powered via USB (also i may not use-up all the 4x sata).
by the way, for your 5070 thin having M2 based quad SATA, do you see those quad sata on the boot menus in BIOS?
Actually, I have a M.2 quad SATA card but it's not inside the 5070 thin - it's actually on my HP t420 zero-client (running Debian), and it's not yet powered up for testing.

forests_gump

Feb 18, 2021
I have the Wyse Extended version, and I was planning to use it as a very low power backup solution. I knew that there are no sata slots on the board itself so I knew I had to buy a card for one of the M2 slots. Since I already have the sata ssd slot populated I started looking for a card that fits the A + E slot. I got this one from aliexpress:

And surprisingly it worked out of the box and was recognised in ESXi (6.7). I could even pass it throgh to FreeNas which recognies it immediately.

My setup is a bit wierd since I will run FreeNas Virtualized and will attach the hard drives using a Sata to Esata cable + dock, and I am still waiting for a cable which I can route through the internals so that I can close the enclosure, but I am pretty happy since everything worked out of the box.

@cageek this item might also be of interest to you since it will allow you to try a bunch of more cards.

Pics:

View attachment 15749

View attachment 15748

View attachment 15747
Hey there Naseto, I am considering adding more Sata ports by adding a sata card via M2 2230 (like yours) or via PCIE slot.
would like to check with you, does your 5070 extended BIOS's boot menus show you these harddisks that you added ports from sata card?

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
  • Love

ru me

Jun 2, 2018
Anybody ever came across something similar to this? LRST8615-4IT 6Gb/s Mini PCIe to 4-Port SATA3 Expansion Card. That card seems to be discontinued. Just realized that this is mini PCIe, obviously m2 would be needed.

forests_gump

Feb 18, 2021
Hey there Naseto, I am considering adding more Sata ports by adding a sata card via M2 2230 (like yours) or via PCIE slot.
would like to check with you, does your 5070 extended BIOS's boot menus show you these harddisks that you added ports from sata card?
Reply to myself (& whoever may need this) - Got a 5070 Extended, with jmb585 Sata 5x- yes, it does boot frm jmb585 (the sata slot#1)

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
*ugh*. 825 dollars? That's insane for a thin client - at the price you can get a fully tricked out HP t740 with the full Win10 IoT license, which is a MUCH better package. Even then I would question the pricing. Remember, only suckers pay retail.

Gun for this one on eBay instead - the Pentium Silver one is only 30 bucks extra.

jbrukardt

Feb 4, 2016
*ugh*. 825 dollars? That's insane for a thin client - at the price you can get a fully tricked out HP t740 with the full Win10 IoT license, which is a MUCH better package. Even then I would question the pricing. Remember, only suckers pay retail.

Gun for this one on eBay instead - the Pentium Silver one is only 30 bucks extra.
or a 7040 with an i5-6500te