(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WerewolfJones

May 24, 2020
If anyone is still looking for the sfp add on card these popped up today on ebay.

So I ordered this and it arrived this morning. The pictured M.2 card that connects to the motherboard was NOT included and I foolishly connected the ZIF cable to the VGA port on the motherboard, which appears to have fried it. I can't get anything but a flashing orange power light and am currenty letting it sit with the CMOS battery out for a few hours before messing with it again.

Anything else I can try? I've already removed the RAM and SSD to try to get it to post, as well as switching to a 130w adapter.

Reactions: Samir

mattalat

Dec 28, 2022
Alright - I'd like to upgrade to 16 gb ram but it's hard to find 2Rx8 8gb sticks - there are some crucial ones on amazon that apparently will ship either single rank or dual rank - it's just sorta a lottery.

Should I just use a single 16 gb stick that I know for sure is dual rank? Am I losing a lot of performance by not having the ram run in dual channel with identical sticks? Would also leave an open slot to upgrade to 32gb down the line.

I'm using mine as a simple unraid server running some relatively light docker containers (home assistant, scrypted, plex, etc). Appreciate your thoughts.

mattalat

Dec 28, 2022
I bought 2 8gb sticks on ebay. I only got sticks that said 2rx8 on the package.
Got it, looks like a bunch of sets available for 56 bucks. A bit more expensive than amazon but maybe worth it rather than rolling the dice with single vs dual rank. Thx.

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
Alright - I'd like to upgrade to 16 gb ram but it's hard to find 2Rx8 8gb sticks - there are some crucial ones on amazon that apparently will ship either single rank or dual rank - it's just sorta a lottery.

Should I just use a single 16 gb stick that I know for sure is dual rank? Am I losing a lot of performance by not having the ram run in dual channel with identical sticks? Would also leave an open slot to upgrade to 32gb down the line.
I have a 16GB (2x8GB) setup using two Samsung M471A1K43CB1-CRC which are 1Rx8 not 2Rx8. The guy at this place (parkytowers) used two SK Hynix HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH which are also 1Rx8. I don't think that 2Rx8 is necessary to get to 16GB, contrary to prior information on this thread. I have no personal experience with a 32GB setup.

One unexpected occurrence I had when upgrading from 8GB to 16GB is that the machine takes a long time (i.e. a minute?) on the first boot after the change, and then stops in BIOS to notify you of the memory change. If you miss this, or are impatient, then maybe you think the memory is not working.

mattalat

Dec 28, 2022
I have a 16GB (2x8GB) setup using two Samsung M471A1K43CB1-CRC which are 1Rx8 not 2Rx8. The guy at this place (parkytowers) used two SK Hynix HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH which are also 1Rx8. I don't think that 2Rx8 is necessary to get to 16GB, contrary to prior information on this thread. I have no personal experience with a 32GB setup.

One unexpected occurrence I had when upgrading from 8GB to 16GB is that the machine takes a long time (i.e. a minute?) on the first boot after the change, and then stops in BIOS to notify you of the memory change. If you miss this, or are impatient, then maybe you think the memory is not working.
Ohh very interesting. I know at some point along the line there was a bios update that "allowed newer memory" or something to that effect, maybe that fixed it? Or maybe, like you said, people missed the stop in the bios. Maybe I'll try some sticks from amazon and see how it goes, worst case I can return. Thanks for your insight.

thesunstarecontest

Jun 8, 2018
Last edited:

labxplore

Sep 12, 2022
This thread has been very helpful so I'm adding some more info for anyone looking for parts that works on the Wyse 5070 (Pentium, extended, in case it makes a difference):
- SSD: 2TB WD BLUE 3D NAND SATA M.2 2280 - WDS200T2B0B

- RAM: 20GB
-- SLOT 1: Crucial 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 2Rx8 CL17 - CT16G4SFD824A
-- SLOT 2: SK Hynix 4GB DDR4 3200MHz (running as 2400MHz) 1Rx16 CL22 - HMA851S6DJR6N-XN

[edit - another configuration that works]
- RAM: 32GB
-- 2x OWC 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Dual Rank - OWC2666DDR4S16G

Last edited:

bigtroutpa

Feb 10, 2023
Bought one of the Wyse 5070 Extended from.ebay for 99. It is a perfect Opnsense box, routs gigabit with no sweat. Draws 5 watts idle, 12 watts under a good load with an intel dual port i350 card.

Just wanted to add that a Supermicro AOC-SGP-I2 (Dual port Intel i350) works in the pcie slot, no hassles and immediately recognized in bios.

Im running Opnsense with wireguard, unbound as resolver, feeding the adguard home plugin and a ton of other services, and it is almost anticlimatic how trouble free its running, have not had to fiddle with it at all once setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and abq

PaintChips

Sep 10, 2020
Had bought a Dell "refurb" for $99 before taxes, original listing said it didn't include keyboard/mouse but it actually did and the warranty is 3yrs so it looks like a major company scrapped their order around the time period of August/Sept. I picked one up for work reasons, needed to replace an older thin client.
When it comes to using QuickSync having dual rank memory provides a nice boost, its why you tend to see Intel laptops with Iris Xe being equipped with such memory. As far as performance I noticed moving from 8GB to 16GB provided a nice boost for handling dual 4K monitors so I think Dell may have been under-specing thinking most workplaces would issue basic 2-3 1080p monitors to employees.
Moving to 32GB doesn't make much of a difference, unless you're going to run lots of databases/network caching you'll likely run out of CPU power before memory.
As far as my testing:
2x8GB SK Hynix dual rank (formerly from a Ryzen laptop)
2x16GB Crucial dual rank

pvenoob

Feb 26, 2023
Hello all, very excited to join the forums, been a long time lurker and only just recently began my home server journey so I'm still learning.
I managed to grab a few 5070s on ebay for 80+tax for 2 of them (ended up buying 4). The only catch is they do not come with power bricks.
I'm still waiting for my power adapters to get here but can't wait to get started.

So I ordered this and it arrived this morning. The pictured M.2 card that connects to the motherboard was NOT included and I foolishly connected the ZIF cable to the VGA port on the motherboard, which appears to have fried it. I can't get anything but a flashing orange power light and am currenty letting it sit with the CMOS battery out for a few hours before messing with it again.

Anything else I can try? I've already removed the RAM and SSD to try to get it to post, as well as switching to a 130w adapter.
Also wanted to say thanks to WerewolfJones as I almost pulled the trigger on the sfp ports thinking it would be m2 board, cable and sfp board but after reading his unfortunate discovery I saved myself ~$100 in what would've been unusable parts without the m2 piece. Btw @WerewolfJones was your 5070 salvageable?

Reactions: Samir and abq

Filez

Feb 18, 2019
Had bought a Dell "refurb" for $99 before taxes, original listing said it didn't include keyboard/mouse but it actually did and the warranty is 3yrs so it looks like a major company scrapped their order around the time period of August/Sept. I picked one up for work reasons, needed to replace an older thin client.
When it comes to using QuickSync having dual rank memory provides a nice boost, its why you tend to see Intel laptops with Iris Xe being equipped with such memory. As far as performance I noticed moving from 8GB to 16GB provided a nice boost for handling dual 4K monitors so I think Dell may have been under-specing thinking most workplaces would issue basic 2-3 1080p monitors to employees.
Moving to 32GB doesn't make much of a difference, unless you're going to run lots of databases/network caching you'll likely run out of CPU power before memory.
As far as my testing:
2x8GB SK Hynix dual rank (formerly from a Ryzen laptop)
2x16GB Crucial dual rank
Did you use to quicksync to transcode?

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Tried a m.2 nvme to pcie adapter(I forgot the exact brand. It should be a generic one and looks like this: link) on the Wyse 5070 extended.

Both m.2 nvme (on adapter) and m.2 sata(on m.2 sata slot) are Micron brand.
The random write speed in a VM is around 30Mbytes/s and IOPS 7k - 8k, and on Proxmox host is 52Mbytes/s and IOPS 13.3 k.

They are much lower than the T740 with the same SSDs above (random write 95Mbytes/s, IOPS 24k).

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Tried a m.2 nvme to pcie adapter(I forgot the exact brand. It should be a generic one and looks like this: link) on the Wyse 5070 extended.

Both m.2 nvme (on adapter) and m.2 sata(on m.2 sata slot) are Micron brand.
The random write speed in a VM is around 30Mbytes/s and IOPS 7k - 8k, and on Proxmox host is 52Mbytes/s and IOPS 13.3 k.

They are much lower than the T740 with the same SSDs above (random write 95Mbytes/s, IOPS 24k).
Update: Changed the 65watts power supply to the stock 130watts one, the random write on bare metal reaches 90Mbytes/s, and around 50Mbytes/s in VM.

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

JF62

Mar 1, 2023
I ordered a J5005 based system wit 8GB and like to upgrade the memory
My idea is now to use just one of the slots with a here recomended Corsair Vengeance SODIMM 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2400MHz CL16
Will this work or do I need to use always both slots?

labxplore

Sep 12, 2022
do I need to use always both slots?
You don’t need to use both slots.

Corsair Vengeance SODIMM 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2400MHz CL16
Will this work
I don’t recall seeing the Corsair Vengeance model mentioned to work or not so that will be a risk. Do you know if that module is Single Rank or Dual Rank? It seems that DR modules often work.
On another note, you may even want to use both the 16GB and the 8GB module together. I’ve used a 16GB+4GB for a while.