(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mattalat

Dec 28, 2022
Anyone slap a 140mm fan on top to help with cooling? Mine gets quite hot (particularly the SSD) when downloading large files. Should I power it with a USB to fan header adapter, or is there some way to use the serial port for power?

Reactions: Samir

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Anyone slap a 140mm fan on top to help with cooling? Mine gets quite hot (particularly the SSD) when downloading large files. Should I power it with a USB to fan header adapter, or is there some way to use the serial port for power?
Agree with keeping this passive. If active cooling is needed, I'm considering taping the internal USB3 header port for 5v and getting some 5v fans, although it would be ironic as the chip is about 10W and most fans are around 1W (10% power budget increase!)

labxplore

Sep 12, 2022
I have a 120mm fan tied to mine extended one but it’s because I have a HBA card on it. Will change to another 140mm fan I have and try to run at lower speeds…

tasort

Dec 6, 2022
Nope, it was on one of my bypassNRO attempts in Win10 setup. It appears to have gotten passed it and displayed a screen I've never seen before in the set-up flow. This screen showed an NBC logo and further text outlining 4 steps are left along the lines of downloading profile, installing apps, joining corp domain etc. I shut down at step 1. I forgot to take a photo.
What's more intriguing is this is after I've wiped the SSD and fresh Win10 install, almost Mac like where if the S/N is registered with corp account the machine is "locked" to it and will auto provision regardless of drive wipe from what I've been told.
Any chance the Service Tag contains "NBC" in it? I saw a couple listings on ebay and cannot find info on the dell support site using their service tags

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Any chance the Service Tag contains "NBC" in it? I saw a couple listings on ebay and cannot find info on the dell support site using their service tags
No indications at all, I searched the serviceTag on Dell and it shows expired 10/18/2023 so guessing these are newly decommissioned systems. I bought it from a local source on FB

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Grabbed 2 sticks of 16GB Crucial DDR4 2400 So-DiMMs, working with 32GB of RAM now :)

Spoke too soon, while BIOS shows all 32GB, the system seems to slow to a crawl. Something funky going on, more work is needed

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Grabbed 2 sticks of 16GB Crucial DDR4 2400 So-DiMMs, working with 32GB of RAM now :)

Spoke too soon, while BIOS shows all 32GB, the system seems to slow to a crawl. Something funky going on, more work is needed
What OS are you using?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Sounds like a SM board I have. With 256GB installed it slows to a crawl. Never did figure out why, just dropped back to 128Gb and all was well.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Was using my 5070 Extended as a router running OPNSense. CPU temp was in the high 50's consistently. Started getting strange minute long Internet drop outs. Suspected a thermal problem. Replaced it with a SM E50-40 SYS-E50-9AP-N5. Drop outs stopped. Just opened the 5070 and removed the heatsink/fan from the CPU. The thermal grease was a bit on the dry side. I replaced it and the temp dropped to the mid 30's. This 5070 was brand new when I bought so I'd never have thought to replace the thermal grease but will be checking it from now on whether the box is ne or not. I tywrapped a 92mm fan to the SM box for good measure, it's a fanless sealed box so I figured a fan would be a good idea. CPU temp is running mid 30's which is fine.