US $192 ($190 BO) Great deal on a Quanta D51B-2U 2u Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
I
I tried it in this order earlier and it says it was completed but nothing changed.

Code:
@echo off
ECHO ***************************************************************************
ECHO WARNING!!!
ECHO           Please note that this important update will upgrade both BIOS
ECHO           and BMC, and will restart the system upon completion.
ECHO           Any previous BIOS/BMC settings and configurations will be wiped out.
ECHO           Please agree to proceed.
ECHO ***************************************************************************

CHOICE /C YNC /M "Do you agree to continue??? Yes, No, or Cancel."
IF ERRORLEVEL 2 goto END
IF ERRORLEVEL 3 goto END
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 goto START

:START

set IP=%1
set USER=%2
set PASSWD=%3

REM : the following is the default BMC IP, user name and password.
if "%IP%" == "" set IP=192.168.0.120
if "%USER%" == "" set USER=admin
if "%PASSWD%" == "" set PASSWD=admin

if exist .\winflash\ERR.LOG (
    DEL .\winflash\ERR.LOG
)

REM :[ BIOS ]: it is to update BIOS fw
CALL .\winflash\biosfw_ip %IP% %USER% %PASSWD%
@echo off

REM :[ BIOS ]: it is to check update status
CALL .\winflash\checkstatus BIOSINFO

:END
@echo on
Do you mean I should add this back in before the BIOS section?

Code:
REM :[ SYS ]: it is to update system fw
@echo off
ECHO [ Info ]: Please wait a moment. it is getting system status.
CALL .\winflash\ucpld_ip %IP% %USER% %PASSWD%

@echo off

REM :[ SYS ]: it is to check update status
CALL .\winflash\checkstatus SYSINFO

I had to manually run the ucpld_ip batch/sh file

Code:
.\winflash\ucpld_ip %IP% %USER% %PASSWD%
[CODE]

josh

Oct 21, 2013
@SPCRich do you have any idea what's the memory population order? Dell servers usually have a nice table in the manual but this quanta model has nothing anywhere on the web

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
May be common knowledge but I didn't know. Supermicro Super Doctor 5 works with this Quanta server. Correctly reports all parms except the PSU's.

Reactions: Bert and Samir

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
@SPCRich do you have any idea what's the memory population order? Dell servers usually have a nice table in the manual but this quanta model has nothing anywhere on the web
I don't recall the ordering but I think server is not very picky. I remember following the order of slot names and server just worked fine. It should be easy to get it going on with trial and error.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
I don't recall the ordering but I think server is not very picky. I remember following the order of slot names and server just worked fine. It should be easy to get it going on with trial and error.
It's been months and I haven't managed to get my servers to boot with dual V4s yet.

djonz

Nov 18, 2015
Canada
Hi guys, just found about this thread. I was able to update the BIOS, BMC & 3108 Raid card but I can't figure out how to update the Expander firmware. I have the firmware file, but I don't see how I can upgrade it. I didn't find instructions.

lsscsi doesn't report the SAS Expander neither did a version of xflash I found. I tried MegaRaid Storage Manager and I was able to see a drive and "Enclosure".

Any clues?

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Hi guys, just found about this thread. I was able to update the BIOS, BMC & 3108 Raid card but I can't figure out how to update the Expander firmware. I have the firmware file, but I don't see how I can upgrade it. I didn't find instructions.

lsscsi doesn't report the SAS Expander neither did a version of xflash I found. I tried MegaRaid Storage Manager and I was able to see a drive and "Enclosure".

Any clues?
enclosure is probably the expander

djonz

Nov 18, 2015
Canada
enclosure is probably the expander
Yea, I juste realized the 3108 didn't like the firmware upgrade I did. QCT points to Broadcom site and 9361-8i card. Can't seem to find a firmware that work now. I tried a few of them and always get this message when I boot

"Firmware did not find valid firmware image which matches NVDATA settings on the controller. Please program valid firmware image and restart your system."

And Of course, I didn't do a backup before upgrading. :confused:

Did you guys have 3108 cards or 3008 in yours?

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
@djonz you need to use storcli to do it i forget the exact steps, but its something like storcli /c0/e0 download file=blah

YMMV, do it wrong and you brick your expander.

I have a 3108 based card in mine, and if you read through the history of this thread, I outlined where to get firmware etc.

djonz

Nov 18, 2015
Canada
@SPCRich Thanks, I didn't know I had to do it with storcli. It guess I'll have to wait as I think I might have bricked my 3108.
Is there a specific firmware for Quanta SAS3108 Cards? I re-read the thread multiple times and I guess I'm missing it again and again. :(

I tried to flash it late at night and I think I ended up flashing a SuperMicro AOC-S3108L-H8iR firmware on it -_-' Since then, I get the error I told earlier. I tried flashing few 9361-8i FWs from Broadcom site like forwarded on QCT website, but with no luck. Doesn't seem to fully flash the card as NVDATA version never changes whichever firmware I flash on.

I bought a SAS3008 (40$) since I wanna try few things like TrueNAS, Ceph and Proxmox so I probably won't really use the 3108 after I get the new card. But would be great as an achievement to just make it work again. And also I have time until the new SAS card arrives :rolleyes:

Have a nice day!

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
@djonz its really hard to brick the 3108 how did you do the upgrade? there is no specific verison, the 9361-8i firmware from avago is what you want, I mentioned it on page like 3-4 or so.

you can use

storcli /c0 download file=/tmp/MR_4MB.rom

to update the card, you'll have to search for how to do the expander

djonz

Nov 18, 2015
Canada
@SPCRich Yeah, bricked is probably the wrong word there. I did try multiple 9361-8i firmware versions from the Broadcom/Avago website with no luck so far. Tried from a Windows10 and from Bios. Will try from UEFI or Linux next.
The Supermicro version I flashed by error has bigger file, almost 2M bigger. Maybe there is some stuff not getting overwritten when I use the OEM ones? Wonder if there is a way to factory/OEM flash.
I flashed multiple cards in the past without any issue. But I usually flash the right firmware XD

Haven't tried anything in a few days. Will keep you posted if anything new.

djonz

Nov 18, 2015
Canada
Well, I'm out of ideas. I did try to flash different ways (Windows/linux/EFI/From BIOS utility) and almost all the firmware's I found with no luck. I should have my 3008 early next week so I fortunately won't need this one anymore. Whatever I flash doesn't seem to flash anything. It says completed but nothing changes in versions etc..

Here's the information output I have now. (storcli /c0 show)
1618629328518.png

EDIT : Got it back thanks to this thread : https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/supermicro-3108-bricked.32418/post-299547
Serial is still weird but hey, everything seems to work so far :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Fritz

Zalouma

Aug 5, 2020
HI

Do you guys mind sharing the latest BIOS and BMC for this server, struggling to find it on qct.io site or anywhere

Thanks in advance

Zalouma

Aug 5, 2020
Hi,
I have two Quanta, one D51B-2U (dual 1G LoM) and the other D51B-2U (dual 10G LoM).

D51B-2U (dual 10G LoM) won't work with two E5-2658 v4 CPUs. only works with one. And it works with two v3 cpu's.

The D51B-2U (dual 1G LoM) works fine with two v4 cpu's installed.
Both servers have BIOS S2B_3B20 and BMC 3.81.00. I also used the CPU Upgrade Package.

Anyone had a similar attachment or have ideas for this problem?

In addition, I put a link to Bios / BMC that I had on the disk:
Thanks I missed this one, Thank you for sharing all good now

UXSServers

Mar 27, 2019
I

I had to manually run the ucpld_ip batch/sh file

Code:
.\winflash\ucpld_ip %IP% %USER% %PASSWD%
[CODE]
I have a quanta T41S-2U and have issues upgrading QTY 2x V4 CPU's would anyone know how I can update the BIOS for the V4 Package, it does not seem to be working on the multiple systems we have.

thanks

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Now that I've finally gotten this beast quietened down I've been playing around with it. I'm currently on BIOS S2B_3B04 and would like to update to the latest version (the one in the V4 update package I presume, S2B_3B22.BIN but after reading this thread again I fear I might be opening Pandora's box. System is currently working fine.

Any guidance much appreciated.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Well this is a very nice server and I was luck to have all the trays.

Does this server support two slot graphics card? I was not able to locate any power for PCI-E power cable.