US $192 ($190 BO) Great deal on a Quanta D51B-2U 2u Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Sorry, don't have a C6220 and don't have access to one either.
Np. Will just have to sell it off if it doesn't work out.
What are the use case differences between SFF and LFF?
I presume the SFF would probably go into a SSD (ceph/proxmox) cluster while the LFF is probably a standalone backup server?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Np. Will just have to sell it off if it doesn't work out.
What are the use case differences between SFF and LFF?
I presume the SFF would probably go into a SSD (ceph/proxmox) cluster while the LFF is probably a standalone backup server?
That's about it. I also have a SM SC216 With 11 5TB and 13 900GB drives that I use as a media server. It's nowhere near as loud as the Quanta. I originally planned to load the Quanta with 24 900GB's but decided instead to put the 13 900GB's I already purchased in the SM and load the Quanta up with the 450GB's I already had. Looking back with 20/20 hindsight, I would not have purchased the Quanta.

Xoid

Nov 14, 2018
How do you guys afford DDR4 ECC? It's 4x the price of DDR3.
It's not that bad, you can find deals if you look. Here's some 16GB DDR4 2133mhz ECC for just $39 ea. A 16GB DDR3 ECC module would only be like $5 or $10 less.
You could probably offer less if you're buying bulk too.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I bought 160GB of it and don't remember it being that expensive. Maybe the price has gone up recently.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
It's not that bad, you can find deals if you look. Here's some 16GB DDR4 2133mhz ECC for just $39 ea. A 16GB DDR3 ECC module would only be like $5 or $10 less.
You could probably offer less if you're buying bulk too.

I don't think you've been looking at DDR3 prices for some time. I've been buying them for around 11-13 per 16GB stick. Sometimes some seller comes around and dumps a bulk set for 10 each even.

Xoid

Nov 14, 2018
I don't think you've been looking at DDR3 prices for some time. I've been buying them for around 11-13 per 16GB stick. Sometimes some seller comes around and dumps a bulk set for 10 each even.
Maybe that's the case, I just took a quick look at eBay to see what the averages were. But I don't think $39 for 16gb is that unaffordable. Depends how much you need I guess. DDR3 has also been basically obsolete for at least 5 years at this point.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Maybe that's the case, I just took a quick look at eBay to see what the averages were. But I don't think $39 for 16gb is that unaffordable. Depends how much you need I guess. DDR3 has also been basically obsolete for at least 5 years at this point.
It does add up when you're trying to migrate 640GB of it :( If you guys find something good do ping me (hopefully under 30).

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
@Xoid & @josh My second chassis just arrived, also with rails, trays, and a 12G adapter + BBU. I need to test everything and make sure it all works right, but If you guys can cover the cost of shipping, I'd be happy to split the trays 12 and 12 for you. Here's what I have now:

24trays
1 set of rails
1 BBU
1 3108 12Gbps SAS adapter
2 heatsinks
1x 10G SFP+ adapter (probably the 84599 or whatever chipset)

one of the slots in the new chassis doesn't light up at all (15th slot) but its not a concern, I won't be throwing 24 SSDs in this thing. Also the last slot is REALLY hard to get a drive in, as in once you get in you'd probably have to use pliers or a screw driver to get it back out. I don't see any damage around it, so maybe it's just the fat SSDs im using rubbing or something. Give me a few days to make sure everything is legit before I part anything out. with one stick per cpu it ran the fans full tilt, so I need to order some additional ram to test to make sure everything is kosher.

Xoid

Nov 14, 2018
@Xoid & @josh My second chassis just arrived, also with rails, trays, and a 12G adapter + BBU. I need to test everything and make sure it all works right, but If you guys can cover the cost of shipping, I'd be happy to split the trays 12 and 12 for you.
Sweet, mine should arrive in Washington on Wednesday, then I have to get it forwarded over the border. Hopefully wont take too long though. I'll let you know if I need any of those drive trays :)

josh

Oct 21, 2013
@Xoid & @josh My second chassis just arrived, also with rails, trays, and a 12G adapter + BBU. I need to test everything and make sure it all works right, but If you guys can cover the cost of shipping, I'd be happy to split the trays 12 and 12 for you. Here's what I have now:

24trays
1 set of rails
1 BBU
1 3108 12Gbps SAS adapter
2 heatsinks
1x 10G SFP+ adapter (probably the 84599 or whatever chipset)

one of the slots in the new chassis doesn't light up at all (15th slot) but its not a concern, I won't be throwing 24 SSDs in this thing. Also the last slot is REALLY hard to get a drive in, as in once you get in you'd probably have to use pliers or a screw driver to get it back out. I don't see any damage around it, so maybe it's just the fat SSDs im using rubbing or something. Give me a few days to make sure everything is legit before I part anything out. with one stick per cpu it ran the fans full tilt, so I need to order some additional ram to test to make sure everything is kosher.
Seller hasn't shipped mine yet. Will probably take a couple of weeks before I get back to you as I'll need to forward it overseas as well.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Received my unit today.. No drive trays for me... Trying to decide if I should order another unit to try my luck.

If everyone has extra drive trays, please PM me.

FYI... I did get the Quanta DAS2BTH7CB0 12Gps raid card and the rack rails. All the goodies except the drive caddies.

Last edited:

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
It's a crapshoot with esiso, to say the least. Really too bad they're the ones with all the stock of all the best stuff at the best prices. I'd rather buy from anyone else.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
Anyone who ordered try updating firmware/ipmi? 4 sticks of 32GB ram come in in 5 days, so I can't fully test till they come in (it seems to complain with a single stick of 4GB per cpu). Interested in seeing if anyone else is adventurous enough to try and flash the BIOS and IPMI

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Anyone who ordered try updating firmware/ipmi? 4 sticks of 32GB ram come in in 5 days, so I can't fully test till they come in (it seems to complain with a single stick of 4GB per cpu). Interested in seeing if anyone else is adventurous enough to try and flash the BIOS and IPMI
PM me if you have any trays for sale..

josh

Oct 21, 2013
It's a crapshoot with esiso, to say the least. Really too bad they're the ones with all the stock of all the best stuff at the best prices. I'd rather buy from anyone else.
Tbh everyone seems to have gotten more than the listing stated.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
The official CCL states that E5-2680V4 is supported, is there a reason why you're trying to flash the firmware?