UPS with high efficiency/low self power usage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Hi,
I have a Smart-UPS 2200 RM (first gen, built '02, with network card installed) which I just metered to use 55 35 Watts on idle (ie no consumers attached, fully loaded battery).

It never has given me any trouble, but given that draw I think I should be looking at replacing it - maybe;)

So the question is - what is the idle power draw of a more modern UPS in a similar capacity category?

I had searched for information on this half a year back when I realized that my desktop UPS (apc 1000, 1st gen) was using 30W on idle, but there was little info that I could find; so maybe there is some experience here? :)
In the end i decided that I don't need a desktop UPS necessarily and turned it off, but that's not the way to go for the rack;)

Last edited:

J--

Aug 13, 2016
Wow, never considered this at all, it would always be relative to the power drawn, and there would be little to no residual draw. I will have to measure my APC, though it might be the same generation as yours.

Looking forward to any other data.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
I have a similar sua1500rm2u from that era and it draws around 30w. It should be drawing some while it is charging/maintaining the batteries but not as much other times.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Hm will measure again. I had disconnected it for a second to attach the meter, maybe that caused the increased draw (30->55).
Still looking for one with minimal idle draw though:)

Edit: Yes its "only" 35Watts ... ie ~85€/year.

Last edited: