UPS for distributions (OpenIndiana, Omnios ...) based on the system Illumos ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Turrican

Mar 25, 2013
France
What brand(APC, Eaton...) to which lead to good management and compatibility ?
Are there any free tools and additional drivers for better management of the UPS, depending on the brand ?
I already have an idea, but if you have experience, knowledge and / or a history of the subject, share it with the community.

Thx in advance.;)

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
I've got both APC 3000 rackmount and a 6kva MGE Pulsar Evolution rackmount (MGE is now Eaton) and would say Eaton is much better for management and also batteries last longer due to a better system they use. APC overcharge batteries IMHO. But my MGE went bang! But the general consensus is Eaton is better.

My APC has a network card and I find the management acceptable, the MGE is USB and serial.
Serial/USB based APC management without a network card isn't all that good.

Last edited:

bollar

Mar 5, 2013
You can install apcupsd to manage a graceful shutdown with APC and some other UPS devices. It's possible to compile it yourself, but OpenCSW has a build that works well for me.

Turrican

Mar 25, 2013
France
Following my reflection ...
I hesitate between APC and EATON. Initially, I turned over to a APC "Line Interactive", but now I wonder if a small EATON "Off-line" would I not enough?
Having spent a lot of time on the subject, ranging from a forum to another resort that is the brand "EATON" is the most popular and recommended. The life of the batteries is longer, and especially that they are cheaper.
The integration "software" and its compatibility in most systems (UNIX, Linux, Windows, OSX, ...) is also higher and less problematic.

So here is what emerges from my period of research on the "UPS".
I would really like have your opinion on all of these elements (Line Interactive Off-line, ...) (APC, EATON, ...), ...

Thx in advance.;)