Upgrading Supermicro Motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BinaryData

Dec 27, 2015
Hey Chaps,

Been awhile since I've been on here! I missed the overwhelming knowledge base.

I'm looking to do a bit of cannibalization of a system, I'm wanting to buy this server below;

Supermicro 4U 36-Bay Server X8DTN+ 2x Xeon X5675 3.06hz Hex Core / 128gb / Raid | eBay

However, as you can see the processors are old as dirt, and won't keep up with what I need. I wanted to add an X10 Style motherboard, and a processor in there for my Colo server.

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRA-F-O ATX Server Motherboard LGA 2011-3 Intel C612 - Newegg.com

+ an Intel Xeon E5-1660v4 8c/16t + 128GB of Memory + 2x 250GB SSDs + 2x 1TB SSDs, and 36x 8TB HGST Drives.

I have better backplanes, and if push comes to shove, I can buy newer SAS3 ones.

My question is; will this work, or is there a specialized motherboard needed for the Power Portion?

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
You could put an X10 in there without issues. If you're putting this in colo the X10SRA-F is not the ideal motherboard as it's more geared towards workstations. The alignment of the memory hurts airflow in the 2U area the motherboard sits in. The built in audio will go unused as well. Unless you have a specific reason for the SRA take a look at something like the X10SRL-F. It should be a bit cheaper too.

Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10SRL-F

BinaryData

Dec 27, 2015
That's what I had guessed. I was using the motherboard as an example. I'm looking to drop an E5-1660v4 or something with even more power into a 36 bay Supermicro. My plex server is rocking dual e5-2650s and the performance is crap on it. I now understand why.