Upgrading NAS - Please provide feedback.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
I have a QNAP TS1685 w/Xeon-D 1521 CPU w/128GB ECC DDR4 2133 RAM and has served me well but i'm running out of capacity and am moving to full on Google NVR Cloud storage so I decided this could be a good opportunity to upgrade some other things besides just my HDD tier.

Use cases right now are core file storage, some vms and containers. I'd like to keep this use case in addition be able to do 4k video editing from this NAS. My workstation is 10Gb as well as this NAS. I also want to reuse the Samsung SSD's for VM/Container storage for non-ephemeral workloads that will support both home and enterprise lab with core services that will be steady state in nature and without the need to scale up and down like in my lab.

Right now I have the following configuration:

Dual Intel 750 PCI-E 800GB SSDs - CACHE Tier (Repurpose for VMware VSAN Node for lab migrations to Nutanix using Nutanix Move)
4 x 480GB Samsung PM863a SSD's in QTIER: Tier1: Ultra-High Speed (Repurpose for VMs/Containers/Apps - non-ephemeral)
12 x 4TB Seagate HDDs 8xDisk RAID Group for Files in QTIER: Tier3: Capacity & 4xDisk Raid group for NVR (Possibly repurpose for backup on a lower end QNAP..not sure yet, right now only backing up specific items to cloud storage)

Moving to the following

QNAP PCI-E 3.0 x4 M.2 Addin Card
2 x Intel Optane P4801x 100GB - Cache
4 x 1TB Seagate Ironwolf SSDs - QTIER: Tier1:Ultra-High Speed
8 x Seagate X16 Exos 16TB Drives in RAID6 - QTIER: Tier3: Capacity

I have two connections 10Gb Connections to the QNAP one for Family Access to Files and the other for Virtual Networking for VMs/Container workloads.

Everything is loaded in the cart and ready to pull the trigger. Please let me know what you would do differently (outside of rolling your own NAS, not interested in doing that this device has served me very well). Input is appreciated.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
What I do, and quite a few others is to use NVMe locally for editing, then push off to the NAS for older footage. Video projects these days are around 100-150GB and I was telling Will that an upcoming 1U server review was over 8GB of photos. For photos, everything goes on the NAS. For video, I keep the last few videos local then push to the NAS copies as they age.

That is going to change soon though, but a big part of it is just the responsiveness of multi-TB SSDs versus HDDs.