Upgrade Time!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
Hey guys,

I currently have a C6100. All nodes have 48gb of ram (4gb sticks so all slots are full), 2x L5630's, onboard dual port 10G, 3x 1TB sata drives and an Intel SSD sitting in the PCI slot as a cache drive

While I've been mostly happy with this setup for a few years, but I'm getting the itch to upgrade.

It's low on ram today (I run a lot of VMS on esxi+vsan in this cluster and I'm sitting at 90% ram usage on the cluster) and I want to move to all SSDs in the future (using the onboard sata sucks).

I have a full rack at he.net so density is no longer a top priority.

I was thinking of a two options:

1) Buy more RAM (8gb) sticks and just deal with the storage limits (cheaper up front)

2) Upgrade to 3 of these nodes:

For Sale: Intel R2308GZ 2U Server

Everywhere I looked I kept coming back to that deal, for what it was, great pricing.

Additionally I think I can keep the ram that I have in my C6100 and move it over to that platform. I'll also get more RAM slots so I can buy cheaper ram.

It also moves me up a generation in processor's, that's always nice. I think I'll even net out lower on power (which is always good for he.net racks)

It looks like 3 of those nodes (with the onboard 2308 sata/sas card and rails) shipped to CA will run me ~$1700

Is there a better upgrade path or bang for your buck that STH would recommend?