Upgrade of vCenter 6.0 to 6.5

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Is there a reason you need to use IPv6? Generally speaking, IPv4 for an intranet has more than enough IPs.

BSDguy

Sep 22, 2014
So yesterday vSphere 6.5a was released and I upgraded my vCenter appliance to this new build. All was looking good. Rebooted. Hosts were connected. No errors in the logs. Great. So I proceeded with upgrading the first host to ESXi 6.5a. Put it into maintenance mode, vMotioned the VMs onto the second host and proceeded with the upgrade. No errrors during the upgrade. After I rebooted all was looking good. Host was connected in vCenter and then as I was about to take the upgraded host out of maintenance mode this happened:

upload_2017-2-3_21-26-53.png

while I was logged into the vCenter Web client (Flash). So I rebooted the appliance again and still have this error. The inventory is empty and I can't see any VMs, datastores, networking etc.

So another botched VMware update.

Any ideas before I restore the original vCSA 6.5 from backups?

BSDguy

Sep 22, 2014
So I restored the appliance and got things working again back to how there were before the upgrade. Luckily the upgraded host still worked with the older version of the vCSA.

Anyway, I tried the update/upgrade again this morning and so far it has worked. What did I do differerntly? I disabled HA/DRS this time before the update but otherwise I did everything else the same.

I'm sure there are a couple of new options in DRS that I don't remember seeing before.

I haven't tried IPv6 yet and there's still an issue in the Flash client telling me HA is disabled on all my VMs when the HTML5 client shows HA as enabled. Go figure.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Updated my vCenter running on Server 2012 r2 to 6.5a today, no issues found thus far.