Upgrade CheckPoint 4400 cpu

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Roelf Zomerman

Jan 10, 2019
blog.azureinfra.com
Hi everyone,

I have an "old" Checkpoint 4400 with 8Gb of RAM and upgraded to the latest (80.20) image. However the CPU seems to be the bottleneck now with very high CPU usage averages.
While the device is just a lab device and I could work with that, I was wondering if anyone here has experience with upgrading the CPU.

Currently it's a Intel Celeron Dual-Core E3400 2.6 GHz on LGA775 socket. So theoretically I should be able to upgrade to a Core2Duo E8400 or Pentium E5700 or something like that..

any hints/tips?

Stonent

Dec 16, 2016
TX
You may even be able to purchase a pre-modded Xeon on ebay for it. Socket 771 Xeon processors can be modified to work in Socket 775 systems. The chipset would drive what kind you could use. You can also modify your own system for a Xeon to fit, you just need the adapter sticker for the bottom of the chip and to cut the alignment notch off the socket with an exacto knife, so the Xeon can be correctly oriented. An E5440 Xeon (without modifications) is available on Ebay for about $7 and has 4 cores and 12MB of cache.

Most of the quad core Xeons are 80W, but some are 120W. Stay away from the X series Xeons as they generate a lot of heat due to 120 to 160W power consumption.

I would start with an E5440 Xeon (C0 stepping) and if that doesn't work for you (with the sticker and socket modification), try an E53xx series Xeon (which is the previous generation)

I know on my Dell Optiplex 330 with a G40 chipset, a C0 stepping E5440 works perfectly fine.

There's also the Xeon L54xx and L53xx series, that are low power, but they may not work in some systems. L54 would be the latest generation L53 would be the previous one.

In my case on the Dell, I did not make any bios modifications, it just worked fine on the first try with the E5440.

More info:

Last edited: