Upgrade advice on old dual 2670v1 S2600CP2J board system.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hlidskialf

Apr 28, 2016
Greetings. I currently run one of my Proxmox servers on one of the old Facebook salvage systems from 2015ish. https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/intel-xeon-e5-2670-deal-and-price-tracking.7133/Dual 2670v1 on a very tempermental S2600CP2J system with 128 gb of ram. I don't particularly tax it (it's no longer my primary server but it got me into this whole server thing so I'm fond of the cranky old beast) but I'm thinking it might be time to soon replace it. I'd like to grab something with a similar or greater number of cores and ram. However I'd like to improve performance and/or power usage. I'd also like to ensure a good number of PCIe slots, unless the board has some NVMe built in as I'd like to convert the hodgepoge of sata drives I have on it to NVMe drives. (Built in or PCIe card attached.)

I am a whitebox kinda guy so I'd rather build than buy a preconfigured system. I also have a case in the rack to use so it's more a board/cpu/ram combo I need. I'm fond of supermicro, which I have on my Media server and workstation. I'm soliciting opinions on possible upgrades. Budget would be comparable to what I first paid for the original NATEX system, before I draw wife agro. ~$700 CAD. (Yes, I'm in Canada which means deals are way harder to find!) I have seen that combo deals seem more price efficient than buying piecemeal, I'm just not sure where to start looking. Any input appreciated.

As an additional aside, any idea what my old board/cpu/ram system is worth these days? I might be able to add some storage to the new system if it's worth more than a few Canukistan shekels.

Reactions: TrumanHW

TrumanHW

Sep 16, 2018
Hey buddy -- not sure you'll still check this (it's nearly 60 days now) ... but I too am trying to some info on ...

2P E5-2600v3 (may upgrade to v4) is a DDR4 machine -- which, I want to configure with 10x - 12x NVMe (x4) drives.

Here are the links to my threads on the 2600 I just bought (and haven't received yet) ...
But I also have other topics I've posted re: T320 which uses E5-2400v2 DDR3

Have you had luck getting info / replies in other threads ..?
Ultimately, what are you asking really .. ?

As far as the value of your unit -- if you live in an area conducive to a local sale, no one will know better than you.
Otherwise -- eBay, less 13% and shipping costs.
(Though you might try listing it for local pickup and just taking your time -- and meeting a 'future customer' ..? )

hlidskialf

Apr 28, 2016
Thanks for the reply. I'm still thinking about the upgrade. (Been updating everything else I can without a serious expense.)
The info you mentioned sounds interesting, but you forgot the link.
As for other replies, none yet. I've been filtering what I can through r/Homelab, but nothing has resonated with me yet.
Cheers.

Reactions: TrumanHW

TrumanHW

Sep 16, 2018
The info you mentioned sounds interesting, but you forgot the link.
These were some threads I've either started or found interesting on TrueNAS.com

ALL FLASH (NVMe) Hardware Requirements: Quantity + Gen CPU sufficient for 12x NVMe devs
Is a Dual Processor E5-2600v3 or v4 adequate PCIe lanes (80) support ~12 NVMe SSDs..?
NVDIMMS and TrueNAS 12

Sorry for forgetting those. I read reddit threads, but threads are closed so quickly you can't ask follow ups.
Thanks for the reply also...