Updating the HGST HDD & SSD firmware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

j.lockham

Aug 2, 2021
Hi, awesome thread - thank you all for your assistance!
I have some HUC109090CSS600 with custom HP (3P00) firmware on, would like to put stock firmware on - any way have the files?

DeGlucker

Oct 17, 2012
Moscow, Russia
Does anybody knows how to update firmware on WDC HC550 18TB drives WUH721818ALE6L4 (0F38459) ?
I have five such HDDs. All of them bundled with firmware PCGNW120. I definitely know that there is firmware PCGNW232.
Also I have found this download link on WDC website:
Firmware download page
All my drives connected to MegaRAID SAS 9361-8i HBA. I tried to update drives firmware up to 270 version using StorCli utility, but with no luck.
WDC support said some stupid things like this is OEM drives, they are not supported. I have to ask for any help where I purchased them and so on...
Please help with proper firmware and flashing utility.

ElCoyote_

Jul 22, 2016
Does anyone know how to update firmware on the HGST SN200 NVMe SSDs?
I have a few of these:
Ultrastar DC SN200 HHHL 7,68 To (HUSMR7676BHP3Y1 / 0TS1353)
But unfortunately, I am running firmware KNGND101 whereas KNGND110 seem to be the most common firmware available.
Any ideas?
On iDRAC firmware 5.00.yy.z these drives cause a failure in one of my 14th gen Dell PowerEdges.

Reactions: altmind

ElCoyote_

Jul 22, 2016
Working through the maze of WD support.
It seems that HGST has a support portal (B2B, make sure to register with a @dot.com email) where you can register enterprise drives. I registered and my assets are pending verification.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Working through the maze of WD support.
It seems that HGST has a support portal (B2B, make sure to register with a @dot.com email) where you can register enterprise drives. I registered and my assets are pending verification.
Can you let me know if this ever works out? Also have an sn200. Also not sure if it's the same issue, but a friend also had a single sn200 that would break boot when put in his dell server. Other sn200s were fine. He ended up loading the sn200 on a different box and wiping all the nvme namespaces it shipped with and made a new one, then the dell didn't complain

ElCoyote_

Jul 22, 2016
@fohdeesha For me, it was the iDRAC 5.00.xx.y update that broke it. With my SN260 drives, the 14th gen Dell wouldn't boot anymore after the iDRAC update. When contacted, Dell support said the boot failure was caused by the two SN260 cards in my system. Since I appear to be running an older firmware (KNGNP101) while I have seen newer revisions available in whitepapers (KNGNP100 and KNGNP101), I am now attempting to locate those firmware updates and see if it will make a difference.

n17ikh

Jul 12, 2019
So I recently bought a pile of SAS HE10s (HUH721010AL4200) to go with some I already had. I had had some performance issues with these drives in the past, where delayed reads would cause them to fall off the expander with a power-on reset error. I thought I'd look around to see if I could find some firmware and found a Cisco page (https://quickview.cloudapps.cisco.com/quickview/bug/CSCvs18046) talking about performance issues with those very drives. Poked around a bit more and found an A3Z4 firmware, replacing A38K (which none of the new drives had; they were A384 and A21D). Turns out it was freely available to download the "4j" version ISO for the UCS S3260 server. Cisco doesn't make it easy to figure out what update you need to get the firmware files as they don't include every firmware file in every ISO... anyway, pulled down the ISO and extracted HUH721010AL4200_A3Z4.bin and HUH721010AL42C0_A3Z4.bin. I also had a 42C0 with the A38K firmware, so I thought I'd try my luck with that one first since it already had the second-newest firmware, so I applied the appropriate file with sg_write_buffer. After a full power cycle to see that it had worked, I did the same to the 4200 with the oldest firmware, just installing HUH721010AL4200_A3Z4.bin. After a reboot, now the drive thinks it's a HUH721010AL42C0 - did I screw up? No, the two binary firmware files from the ISO have the same checksum. Just Cisco things, I guess? Anyway, the drive was still working so I applied the A3Z4 firmware to all the drives. Seems like it's working fine; I'll keep an eye out for any issues. Hopefully the few drives I couldn't get to update (HUH721010AL4204s where the only google result for the firmware versions they have are STH posts I made? great...) won't be the cause of any problems.

geonap

Mar 2, 2021
looking for maybe newer firmware to fix my HBA 330 issue (dell card in a supermicro) i'm having this error:
drive is HUSMR1619ASS231 (tested 2 drives of 8) and they both had this same error.

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
drive is HUSMR1619ASS231
I know this drive. It will throw you failed self-test unless you remove SED lock from it. Don't start self-test on the rest of 8 drives or they all will have this nice history of failed self-testing
self.PNG

geonap

Mar 2, 2021
thank you, i'm actually not sure how to remove sed, the server is remote, i'm logged in with kvm, it's on a dell hba 330 so i looked around in the IT controller and i don't see anything, looking around, it might be format or secure erase. i don't have secure erase.

thanks

-update
i got the code to secure erase, i'm wondering, can i use any software like the seagate one or is there anything else to use ?

Last edited:

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
i got the code to secure erase, i'm wondering, can i use any software like the seagate one or is there anything else to use ?
you need physical access to the drives to obtain the 'msid' printed on each drive label

geonap

Mar 2, 2021
you need physical access to the drives to obtain the 'msid' printed on each drive label
yes, i have this, and then what? how about the rest of this?

--update

after finding niagara and going through it, i used SPTI, selected ATA, TCG Setup, PSID REVERT, entered it and BOOM (hung for a minute or two)

The debug level () selected is not permitted. Level must be 0 or more.
Retrieving bands...Done.
Authentication as PSID succeeded. Attempting revert.
TCG Revert was successful. All settings are now reset.
Retrieving bands...Done.
(uil=0:spti)(dev=0)>

i set the drive offline then back online (wasn't able to do this before) then initialized and finally formatted!

Last edited: