Updating Rebranded Oracle P4608 firmware to Intel firmware?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fhw72

Nov 2, 2019
I recently bought a P4608 - but unfortunately it was not a vanilla Intel P4608 but the
Oracle OEM variant... :-(

Is there any chance to convert it to an Intel variant (i.e. reflash the firmware)?

The drive comes with firmware 8DV1RD28 but as the current (8DV1RF30)
is not available without paying for it I'd rather return the drive if it's possible to convert.

Thanks,
F.W.

PS: I hate these re-branded drives...

Last edited:

azev

Jan 18, 2013
my experience with trying to convert firmware on various ssd from oem like Oracle or HP to manufacture firmware have always failed.
Not to mentioned the risk of turning your fancy ssd to a paper weight. I'd say just use them as is, if you're lucky you might be able to find ways to upgrade your ssd fimware with OEM latest release. Performance wise they are usually on par or sometime even better than the original spec.

fhw72

Nov 2, 2019
I was contemplating to keep it... but the fact that possible fixes are out of reach bothers me. I wouldn't have
bid on the drive knowing it's an Oracle variant beforehand.

fhw72

Nov 2, 2019
Just another short question if this is this usual behavior:

I mounted the drive in my PC and instead of one 6.4TB drive it's reported as 2x 3.2TB drives.

Is this normal?