Updating HP Variant DC S3700 firmware to Intel OEM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Is it possible to update HP Labeled S3700 SSD to intel OEM firmware ?
The 2 Drive I have comes with 5DV1HPG4 and for some reason it is missing bunch of SMART data from an intel oem drive.

Intel toolbox does not allow me to upgrade the firmware and I wonder if anyone have a workaround ?

Thanks

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
I tried flashing an IBM OEM Intel X25-M with Intel firmware. I ended up with an 80GB coaster.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Is it possible to update HP Labeled S3700 SSD to intel OEM firmware ?
The 2 Drive I have comes with 5DV1HPG4 and for some reason it is missing bunch of SMART data from an intel oem drive.

Intel toolbox does not allow me to upgrade the firmware and I wonder if anyone have a workaround ?

Thanks
I have a few HP branded S3700s ... I will hook them up to an HP controller and see if the smart data is view-able behind it.
Seems odd that they would strip it out... They generally add features and stability to firmware... though they might try to lock it to HP controllers.
Also... I don't see why you can't flash OEM firmware to an HP branded drive... though you might have to use HP tools to do it.

Q. What is your P/N on the drive... I have the DC S3700

Reactions: azev

azev

Jan 18, 2013
That would be kewl if you could plug them in to a HP controller. All my server are whiteboxes with LSI/Adaptec controller.
I tried updating the firmware using intel tools with no luck, it is telling me that the firmware is up to date.

The smart reading from this drive is abit weird, I am getting 0 hour read, no read/write but the drive had windows installed in it.
I've used different tools to read the smart including intel ssd toolbox, but most of them shows weird readings including intel ssd toolbox.

The part# on the ssd is HP MODEL MK0800GCTZB

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Personally, I would weigh the potential to coaster the drive against how useful the smart data is. Realistically, you will know if you are running a dangerously high write workload (e.g. if you have a 100GB drive and are writing 400GB/ day or more). If not, the drives run fairly cool.

I have a few of these, and I do perform many risky operations. Still this one is something that makes me nervous just because my overall SSD firmware flash experiences have been mixed at best.

Reactions: Fritz

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
Seems odd that they would strip it out... They generally add features and stability to firmware...
I disagree, every HP branded drive i've ever had either completly eliminates regular smart data, or really strip it back.

They do this because the drives are supposed to be used in HP servers (or enclosures) with HP controllers. Typically HP controllers use proprietary software to calculate and retrieve heath statistics.

In other words, the firmware is customized for use with an HP controller that does not follow S.M.A.R.T. specifications.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Right about now I wish I have HP server and HP controller to check the status of these SSD.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
So I wound up with a couple of these being sold as "INTEL" drives... apparently the HP sticker didn't mean much.

Did anyone flash to Intel Firmware?

Debating to attempt it with their latest firmware and usb boot... anyone tried it??

iops-cloud

Sep 30, 2016
Any news on this?
I'm also very interested in upgrading HP Labeled S3700 SSD to intel OEM firmware but don't want to crash any of these drives at all ;)

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I tried on some that were end of life, never managed to get it work but I am not nearly anywhere as competent with this stuff as some of the guys here.

for me, insert in HP server, update firmware. Use as desired in white box, forget about it, don’t let it bother me

Nick85

Jul 13, 2018
Bournemouth
I've been trying to flash HP S3700's to the Dell firmware, tried the editing device ID trick and the Dell tool recognises it and sort of starts to flash, but flashing still fails (drive is ok though).

Anyone know how big the header is in the Dell firmware files so I can a more direct approach? Not bothered about bricking a few to get a workable solution!