Update storage in Poweredge 2950

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Levi

Mar 2, 2015
Hey guys,

I have a Dell poweredge 2950 with a Perc5i. I'm using this with 4xSSD's raid0 and 2xHHD's raid1 and 2x15kSAS OS raid1. I would really like to upgrade the controller to take advantage of the SSD's speed. I found this MegaRAID SAS 9260-8i on ebay abd it didn't seem expensive. The thing is, I'm new to all this commercial stuff and I'm not sure if this will plug into my backplane or if I will have to ditch the backplane, or should I use a sas expander, and go with DAS like THIS.

Thanks,
Levi

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Is this the system you mentioned in the other thread never saw > 570MB/sec on 10gbe networks? Because the PERC5i pretty much tops out at 550MB/sec from what I've seen - SSD or otherwise.

That doesn't answer your question though. The newer cards SHOULD a work with some cable changes. Ultimately though a PE2950 Is a very poor choice for maximum performance of SSD based RAID or 10GbE, it doesn't have the internals to push it far enough from what I've ever seen which is why I sold mine.