[Update: Seller Complaints Accumulating] HGST Ultrastar He10 - 10TB @ $129.95

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Has anyone grabbed drives from the newest lot? It looks like they're sealed recertified drives now, so curious what that SMART data has to say.
Someone got a lot of them in one of the servers the seller is selling. He said the drives looked to be powered on for only a couple of days.

Have no idea if it's the same stock of 10tb hgst SAS3 that are being sold.

Last edited:

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Btw, for those wanting to know where they got 10s of 1000s of these drives...

The seller also has 100s of 4U Cisco servers that holds 56x LFF HDDs for sale at one hell of a price. (Don't immediately jump in and buy that chassis without learning about this machine in that thread we have there. We're still trying to figure things out and the latest news is that the Cisco Management firmware for the chassis only will support specific hardware models in the HUU.)

One person got one of those chassis and it wasn't reset. It had AT&T registration information in the BMC, and seemed to bare-metal voice-recording machines according to some other text they found in the non-default configuration of the machine.

So the answer seems to be, "AT&T had 100s of 1000s of those machines, that all had these 10 TB SAS3 drives in them as it was standard sizing." Hence, why they have well over 50,000 drives to sale.

Last edited:

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Btw, for those wanting to know where they got 10s of 1000s of these drives...

The seller also has 100s of 4U Cisco servers that holds 56x LFF HDDs for sale at one hell of a price. (Don't immediately jump in and buy that chassis without learning about this machine in that thread we have there. We're still trying to figure things out and the latest news is that the Cisco Management firmware for the chassis only will support specific hardware models in the HUU.)

One person got one of those chassis and it wasn't reset. It had AT&T registration information in the BMC, and seemed to bare-metal voice-recording machines according to some other text they found in the non-default configuration of the machine.

So the answer seems to be, "AT&T had 100s of 1000s of those machines, that all had these 10 TB SAS3 drives in them as it was standard sizing." Hence, why they have well over 50,000 drives to sale.
So what were these used for? voice recording as in when you call into AT&T to bitch about their bad services, they recorded everything to these drives? lol..

Reactions: Samir

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Given the massive number of drives, I was thinking more along the lines of anytime you made a call that crossed AT&T’s system, a copy dumped to these drives…

heromode

May 25, 2020
Just a small update on my HUH* SAS drive adventures, i received the drives, 2 x 8TB HUH728080AL5205 bought from a big UK enterprise HW seller, about 80 EUR per drive, but with import duties and shipping costs ended up at about 15 EUR/TB. Drives looked nice, with PCB covered in a tamper proof seal etc..

Attached them to my LSI 3008 controller, and the problems began immediately. Debian 11 live threw all kinds of block errors at boot. Trying to run a smartctl short self-test was the weirdest thing ever, for a second i could hear the drive doing something, then the % remaining of test went from 100% down to 5% in a few seconds, and stayed there, nothing happening. Unable to create a filesystem on the drives, nothing but the weirdest stuff. Most weird was both drives had the exact same errors.

So tried them in another system, different mobo, different LSI 2008 controller, different cables, exact same thing. Other drives work fine in both systems.

Also noticed these had the same seagate code based 'media scan' crap that scan the drives for hours and days upon every damn boot. that scan never progressed etc etc.

Luckily the seller was very responsive and helpful, i returned the drives, and now i'm DONE with SAS drives. They've been nothing but pain for me. My only reason for playing with them was before the crypto markets, second hand SAS drives could be found much cheaper if you had a controller.

Anything seagate is poison to me, and i never imagined the HGST drives would be running the same seagate media scan crap, what a nightmare.

Now i have ripped my SAS controller out of my server, and will only be looking at SATA helium drives. Much less pain. As the crypto markets destroyed the only advantage of second hand SAS drives which was the price, i see no reason to bother with them anymore.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I guess the problem is more
Just a small update on my HUH* SAS drive adventures, i received the drives, 2 x 8TB HUH728080AL5205 bought from a big UK enterprise HW seller, about 80 EUR per drive, but with import duties and shipping costs ended up at about 15 EUR/TB. Drives looked nice, with PCB covered in a tamper proof seal etc..

Attached them to my LSI 3008 controller, and the problems began immediately. Debian 11 live threw all kinds of block errors at boot. Trying to run a smartctl short self-test was the weirdest thing ever, for a second i could hear the drive doing something, then the % remaining of test went from 100% down to 5% in a few seconds, and stayed there, nothing happening. Unable to create a filesystem on the drives, nothing but the weirdest stuff. Most weird was both drives had the exact same errors.

So tried them in another system, different mobo, different LSI 2008 controller, different cables, exact same thing. Other drives work fine in both systems.

Also noticed these had the same seagate code based 'media scan' crap that scan the drives for hours and days upon every damn boot. that scan never progressed etc etc.

Luckily the seller was very responsive and helpful, i returned the drives, and now i'm DONE with SAS drives. They've been nothing but pain for me. My only reason for playing with them was before the crypto markets, second hand SAS drives could be found much cheaper if you had a controller.

Anything seagate is poison to me, and i never imagined the HGST drives would be running the same seagate media scan crap, what a nightmare.

Now i have ripped my SAS controller out of my server, and will only be looking at SATA helium drives. Much less pain. As the crypto markets destroyed the only advantage of second hand SAS drives which was the price, i see no reason to bother with them anymore.
I guess the problem is more often with linux?

heromode

May 25, 2020
I guess the problem is more often with linux?
Well it MIGHT be, but everything else works just fine. I mean if the price of the drives would have been 10€/TB then i might have bothered to investigate further, but 15€/TB is nothing special. Between the cost of the sas cables, the controller producing extra heat and taking up a pcie slot, the seagate media scan CRAP, the smartmontools weirdness discussed in this thread, it's just not worth it.

It felt good ripping that controller out and be done with it. Now it's just a small pretty SATA cable between the drive and the mobo, the birds are singing again, and the sun just emerged from behind the clouds, gently warming my face.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Well it MIGHT be, but everything else works just fine. I mean if the price of the drives would have been 10€/TB then i might have bothered to investigate further, but 15€/TB is nothing special. Between the cost of the sas cables, the controller producing extra heat and taking up a pcie slot, the seagate media scan CRAP, the smartmontools weirdness discussed in this thread, it's just not worth it.

It felt good ripping that controller out and be done with it. Now it's just a small pretty SATA cable between the drive and the mobo, the birds are singing again, and the sun just emerged from behind the clouds, gently warming my face.
I actually like the sas controller. The breakout cables are so much smaller than each sata cable. and you can even get a controller that can handle 8 sas drives for around $25-30. That is not something you can find for a sata controller card.

If you only run 4 hdd, then sata might be fine. For people that want to connect 5+ hdd to their system, sas is really the way to go.

Reactions: TXAG26 and Samir

heromode

May 25, 2020
If you only run 4 hdd, then sata might be fine. For people that want to connect 5+ hdd to their system, sas is really the way to go.
Used to be. Now it would be either a pcie3 x8 PLX card with 2x SFF-8643 connectors to 2x 4x SATA breakout cables, or on a mobo with bifurcation support just a simple pcie to 2x or 4x SFF-8643 adapter with 4x SATA breakout cables.. up to 16 sata lanes without any fuzz.

SAS is dead except for highly specialized enterprise stuff. Now you just breakout 4x pcie3 lanes into 4x SATA and so forth. 2 pcie3 x16 lanes = 32 SATA links.

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...apters-that-do-not-require-bifurcation.31172/

Last edited:

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Used to be. Now it would be either a pcie3 x8 PLX card with 2x SFF-8643 connectors to 2x 4x SATA breakout cables, or on a mobo with bifurcation support just a simple pcie to 2x or 4x SFF-8643 adapter with 4x SATA breakout cables.. up to 16 sata lanes without any fuzz.

SAS is dead except for highly specialized enterprise stuff. Now you just breakout 4x pcie3 lanes into 4x SATA and so forth. 2 pcie3 x16 lanes = 32 SATA links.

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...apters-that-do-not-require-bifurcation.31172/
While possible, I still don't understand why one would do this versus just getting sas drives. It's going back to throwing consumer stuff into a professional environment. If you want to do what the pro do, use what the pros do.

heromode

May 25, 2020
While possible, I still don't understand why one would do this versus just getting sas drives. It's going back to throwing consumer stuff into a professional environment. If you want to do what the pro do, use what the pros do.
Well i don't disagree, i'm just doing home stuff here. Again, second hand SAS drives used to be available alot cheaper than SATA drives per terabyte, and that was a huge incentive to get a SAS controller. Lately looking at the fleabay markets, that advantage is pretty much gone here in europe. I rest my case, have no arguments.

edit: there could be an argument that running SATA drives over pcie lanes is no less 'professional', infact, it's less complicated and removes complications like bad and/or corrupted SAS controllers, expensive and possibly bad cables, plus the extra conversion between standards. SAS used to be faster and more reliable, now it's no faster at all, and the physical drives are mostly all the same just with different PCB's (nearline sas essentially).

but i digress, your arguments are just as valid.

edit2: another issue is the ridiculous SAS cables, which requires A SATA power connector on top of the SAS connector. In many instances where the case isn't designed for that it makes for a flimsy connection that protrudes alot further out from the drive, in some cases like mine, i had issues getting the side cover on my tower case to fit because the connector was so bulky.

edit3: seems like i did have arguments after all :cool:

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I haven't bought a SATA drive in years except for a few boot SSD's. Too many crap varieties of SATA drives like shingled, green, etc. You can have them.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
We can't forget that used sas drives from decomissioned servers are much cheaper than sata drives of the same capacity due to the fact that less people seem to know and use sas drives ;) as well as the fact that enterprises really don't use sata drives in servers so there is less supply. So less supply and more demand for sata used drives mean that the price of used sata drives will be higher than sas drives.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
edit2: another issue is the ridiculous SAS cables, which requires A SATA power connector on top of the SAS connector. In many instances where the case isn't designed for that it makes for a flimsy connection that protrudes alot further out from the drive, in some cases like mine, i had issues getting the side cover on my tower case to fit because the connector was so bulky.
One word: backplane. ;)

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Btw, I don't use any enclosure or back plane for my 5 sas hdd. they are stacked on top of each other with a piece of plastic about 1cm thick in between each . I have a 120mm fan blowing air at them to cool them down. It's fine i guess if you don't have any pet or kid around in that room

• Wow