[Update: Seller Complaints Accumulating] HGST Ultrastar He10 - 10TB @ $129.95

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
They're in a Windows server. I'll see if I can arrange to take it down long enough to move it a nix box.

heromode

May 25, 2020
:( i'm starting to feel like an idiot.

Only thing i did say early the second H in HUH is helium:

The second H in HUH = Helium, so avoid drives starting with HUS, which are conventional air.
After that i've been a fool. I didn't know there were early 6TB HUH models either :(

heromode

May 25, 2020
They're in a Windows server. I'll see if I can arrange to take it down long enough to move it a nix box.
just boot with a debian 11 live

If you need i can give you the commands to install and configure ssh on the live debian to access quickly

heromode

May 25, 2020
sudo -i
apt update && apt install openssh-server -y
nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
Code:
PermitRootLogin yes
passwd
live
live
service ssh restart
ip a

pr1malr8ge

Nov 27, 2017
You know i'm going to be pissed if his 6tb outputs the vender specific information and helium levels.

cause at that point I'm stumped on wtf to do. Less migrating to Truenas scale which is deb based. It hasn't been released long enough for me to want to make the switch.

heromode

May 25, 2020
You know i'm going to be pissed if his 6tb outputs the vender specific information and helium levels.

cause at that point I'm stumped on wtf to do. Less migrating to Truenas scale which is deb based. It hasn't been released long enough for me to want to make the switch.
In that case it will either be your HBA, or some freebsd based issue. We already determined you're not running that python wrapper

pr1malr8ge

Nov 27, 2017
In that case it will either be your HBA, or some freebsd based issue. We already determined you're not running that python wrapper
Honestly doubt it would be the hba or the 12bay expander its on. As that would prevent the sata drives from reporting it also. Since the sata drives encapsulate over the sas link.

pr1malr8ge

Nov 27, 2017
According to replies on my post on Truenas forums the lack of the vendor specific attributes is common on sas drives.

That's normal, SAS SMART is very different from SATA SMART

heromode

May 25, 2020
According to replies on my post on Truenas forums the lack of the vendor specific attributes is common on sas drives.
If this is the case, i wonder if it's possible using sgparm and/or sg3_utils to fish out the data, which is Vendor ID# 22
That's what i'm looking to play around with when i receive my disks and cables..

quick scan of sg3_utils page shows commands like 'sg_inq', 'sg_vpd'

For displaying VPD pages, sg_vpd (or sdparm) may be a better choice than sg_inq as sg_vpd has a simpler, less cluttered command line interface and additional support for vendor specific VPD pages.
Linux sdparm utility
The sg3_utils package

heromode

May 25, 2020
On another note regarding the BMS, my issue with it was the drives ran extremely hot during that scan, right at the edge of their max temps..

i used to pull a list of current temps + BMS progress on all the 8 drives with something like:
Code:
smartctl -x /dev/sdc | egrep "scan|Temp" && smartctl -x /dev/sdd | egrep "scan|Temp"

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
How do you run sg_utils for Linux ???????

I have googled til I'm blue in the face and cannot find anywhere how to run the damn program. Yea, there millions of pages describing all the details but not one damn word on how to use it. :mad:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I rebooted the computer and now I get -

sparkey@sparkey-desktop:~$ sg_scan
sg_scan: Error opening /dev/sg0 : Permission denied
sg_scan: Error opening /dev/sg1 : Permission denied
/dev/sg2: scsi3 channel=0 id=0 lun=0 [em]
sg_scan: Error opening /dev/sg3 : Permission denied

:mad:

heromode

May 25, 2020
I rebooted the computer and now I get -

sparkey@sparkey-desktop:~$ sg_scan
sg_scan: Error opening /dev/sg0 : Permission denied
sg_scan: Error opening /dev/sg1 : Permission denied
/dev/sg2: scsi3 channel=0 id=0 lun=0 [em]
sg_scan: Error opening /dev/sg3 : Permission denied

:mad:
root?

Magius

Oct 15, 2016
Orlando, FL
I added a little more information on your TrueNAS post to clarify what the other poster was trying to tell you. Long story short there's no such thing as "SMART" or "vendor specific attributes" defined in the SCSI (SAS) standards. It won't help you to try other tools to get more data than smartctl is showing you, that data does not exist for SAS drives.

If Hitachi is storing this information on their SAS drives (and why wouldn't they?), then I suspect it's in what's called a "log page" in the SCSI standard. The problem is you don't know which log page (there are LOTS) and even if you knew which page, you don't know how the information is encoded on the page. You could reach out to Hitachi and ask them, and they could help you figure it out so you can query the page with smartctl and decode it manually. Alternatively, you can use smartctl to query log page 00h which should give you a list of all log pages supported by your drive. The vendor specific log pages are typically 30h-3Eh, so if the drive reports a page in that range it might have the data you seek and you could query those pages with smartctl. The problem is still that you wouldn't know how the data is encoded, but if you extract the data from those pages maybe something will stand out? More likely than not you're going to have to talk to Hitachi to figure this out. I create SMART tools and I often end up talking to the manufacturers, occasionally under NDA/PIA.

Tools like smartctl are great since they hide all this protocol messiness behind the scenes and try to give you an easy universal picture of how your drive is doing. At the same time they can be limited in what they understand outside the run of the mill attributes from the biggest manufacturers, since vendor specific information is by definition... vendor specific. Hope that helps!

heromode

May 25, 2020
I added a little more information on your TrueNAS post to clarify what the other poster was trying to tell you. Long story short there's no such thing as "SMART" or "vendor specific attributes" defined in the SCSI (SAS) standards. It won't help you to try other tools to get more data than smartctl is showing you, that data does not exist for SAS drives.

If Hitachi is storing this information on their SAS drives (and why wouldn't they?), then I suspect it's in what's called a "log page" in the SCSI standard. The problem is you don't know which log page (there are LOTS) and even if you knew which page, you don't know how the information is encoded on the page. You could reach out to Hitachi and ask them, and they could help you figure it out so you can query the page with smartctl and decode it manually. Alternatively, you can use smartctl to query log page 00h which should give you a list of all log pages supported by your drive. The vendor specific log pages are typically 30h-3Eh, so if the drive reports a page in that range it might have the data you seek and you could query those pages with smartctl. The problem is still that you wouldn't know how the data is encoded, but if you extract the data from those pages maybe something will stand out? More likely than not you're going to have to talk to Hitachi to figure this out. I create SMART tools and I often end up talking to the manufacturers, occasionally under NDA/PIA.

Tools like smartctl are great since they hide all this protocol messiness behind the scenes and try to give you an easy universal picture of how your drive is doing. At the same time they can be limited in what they understand outside the run of the mill attributes from the biggest manufacturers, since vendor specific information is by definition... vendor specific. Hope that helps!
Very useful insights, thanks

Reactions: Samir