[Update: Hired!] Startups and I don’t fit: got let go yesterday

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
I agree with @Evan and @kapone: "business is business". Do what you feel is right and where you'll be the happiest. I fully appreciate the not wanting to "burn bridges" but c'est la vie. YOU'RE the one who will be working the job and has to put in the time. It's definitely not worth taking the first offer because you feel obligated.

Regarding the recruiter, if you have marketable skills, they'll keep you on their roster regardless of your decision. If they don't, who cares? There are plenty of other recruiters out there.

TL;DR : Do what's right for you and for your family...

Reactions: DanielWood

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
I agree with @Evan and @kapone: "business is business". Do what you feel is right and where you'll be the happiest. I fully appreciate the not wanting to "burn bridges" but c'est la vie. YOU'RE the one who will be working the job and has to put in the time. It's definitely not worth taking the first offer because you feel obligated.

Regarding the recruiter, if you have marketable skills, they'll keep you on their roster regardless of your decision. If they don't, who cares? There are plenty of other recruiters out there.

TL;DR : Do what's right for you and for your family...
Thanks you guys. I feel the same. I sent in the contract acceptance email. And will have to figure out handling the drama with the recruiter and the first employer on Friday Berlin time.

It is silly to take a job out of a sense of duty when I think it would hurt my career as I believe you gotta be thinking about your next next job while applying for your next job.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
They'll be pissed, but they'll be more pissed if you take the job without really wanting it and quit after a short time. I've been on the hiring side of people flaking during the hiring process, and after the initial annoyance wears off there's usually a feeling of relief that it wasn't a bigger waste of time & effort.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
I took a job as a senior python developer at Figo.io -- It's great!
Thanks a ton to everyone who reached out and went out of their way to lend a helping hand. The STH community is second to none. I just hope that I can pay it forward. If anyone is in the same boat let me know I am sure there's someone in our collective networks that can help you out. I am taking the lessons learned from my last startup and doing everything I can to go above and beyond to prove myself everyday at this job -- to prove to myself that I know what I am doing and to my employers for giving me a job.

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
So happy to hear that you found a job doing what you love and that you didn't have to relocate yet again!
Keep us updated and let us know when you're running the company :)

Reactions: gigatexal

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
So happy to hear that you found a job doing what you love and that you didn't have to relocate yet again!
Keep us updated and let us know when you're running the company :)
Hah I just hope I can help them become profitable. I am learning a ton though.

My wife keeps saying it’s impossible for people on the internet to be so nice — but I keep saying you guys are amazing.

Seriously if anyone else needs work in the Northern Germany area let me know or even stateside I’d love to help give back where I can.

Last edited:

hlidskialf

Apr 28, 2016
Glad to hear the good news. (Most of the time your wife would be right.)
Congrats and best wishes.