[Update: Hired!] Startups and I don’t fit: got let go yesterday

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Sorry to hear that. Keep your positive attitude. It's their loss.

I have not worked for a start up but after 17 years with fortune 100 company, they decided to outsource.. 500+ folks and much of the business knowledge was out few years ago. Adding insult to injury was training our replacements and it was a condition for severance.
That’s terrible. I remember reading how IBM did that to its employees I think.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Amazing advice here, thanks everyone.

The wife and I are open to moving anywhere so as to stay in Europe if possible. I am jaded though and am fighting the urge to just say F it and return to the states.

As far as grieving goes and the hit to my ego I think I am healing ok.

Reactions: Blinky 42

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
What are some trusted contracting sites that I could try my hand on? I’ve been meaning to go that route but always feared the uncertainty of the frequency of work (I don’t give myself enough credit people say — I downplay my actual skills a lot).

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
Skip contracting and recruiting companies for now, just find some companies that you can send some information about yourself and your CV. Recruitment companies often want 20% of your first year salary(not yours, but from the company who hire you). If you contact them directly and get hired you may even be lucky enough to get a slightly better salary.

Here is an overview of Python positions in Norway
Søkeresultat - Fulltidsjobb, 'python', IT utvikling, Norge, Jobb | FINN jobb

Reactions: gigatexal

kapone

May 23, 2015
Amazing advice here, thanks everyone.

The wife and I are open to moving anywhere so as to stay in Europe if possible. I am jaded though and am fighting the urge to just say F it and return to the states.

As far as grieving goes and the hit to my ego I think I am healing ok.
Without getting too deep into world politics, if I were in your position, I'd move back stateside. Europe is a cesspool right now, politically, and my belief is that it's gonna get worse. How that affects the economy there remains to be seen, but it can't be good.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Without getting too deep into world politics, if I were in your position, I'd move back stateside. Europe is a cesspool right now, politically, and my belief is that it's gonna get worse. How that affects the economy there remains to be seen, but it can't be good.
In general I wound say Germany is solid and very good chances of employment , some of the rest of Europe I agree.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
the amount of support from the STH community is super humbling -- I really appreciate it. Honestly, the people reaching out via PMs and such could be game changing, you know who you are, and again thank you!

The website is live. The idea -- make my resume a webpage and set myself apart. Front end UI is still a crazy thing so I co-opted a free template online. It was kind of fun actually I think I will look more into it.

check it out here: http://alexandarnarayan.com

Reactions: BackupProphet

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
yep -- profile photo isn't rendering. Troubleshooting a cloudflare issue that I think might be borking my stuff.

DB is my value add though I should add SQL server as a 80% and the rest scale back a bit so as be more reasonable.

First things first -- getting mobile to work.

kapone

May 23, 2015
@gigatexal - A piece of humble advice from a guy who hires people.

Work on writing a solid resume, not this website. Hiring managers and owners like me rarely look at them, the most I'll do is look at someone's Linkedin profile. If you do want to put effort in, put it in optimizing your Linkedin profile.

Dimholdt

Feb 14, 2017
Texas
@kapone - Is absolutely right. I was laid off 6 months ago after 20+ years at a fortune 500 company. After spending time with a personal branding firm, I learned that 98% of recruiters are using LinkedIn as their primary means to find candidates. Most of the calls I got were from LinkedIn recruiters which ultimately landed me a job.

Reactions: eva2000

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
I'm sorry to hear about your struggle.

I worked at a startup that fail because of leadership infighting. The business was actually very profitable. Fortunately my GF was able to cover our expenses and allowed me to find the gig I wanted instead one I needed.

We're all here for you.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
I'm sorry to hear about your struggle.

I worked at a startup that fail because of leadership infighting. The business was actually very profitable. Fortunately my GF was able to cover our expenses and allowed me to find the gig I wanted instead one I needed.

We're all here for you.
That’s awesome! Yeah my wife is helping out on that front. We have support of family too. I am very lucky like that. I do wish my old team all the best. I got pretty close to some of the guys. We slugged it out for 12 to 14 hour days to meet team deadlines some weekends. So I have some great life lessons, 6 months of production experience, and life long friends I’d say I did ok. The only thing is my pride: I’m a proud person I guess — I never thought I’d ever be let go from a job in my whole life.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Sorry to hear this, @gigatexal

I had a similar experience a bit over a year ago. I took a contract in a new city, signed a lease on a new apartment and commuted 200+ miles to work each week, much to the annoyance of my wife who threatened me with a divorce after a few months of this. Despite doing an excellent job of everything I was asked (and receiving positive feedback to this effect), the contract was terminated prematurely without any explanation. Given all that I'd risked personally it was a pretty big kick in the gut to experience this ...

The upside is that the experience I gained on this project opened a lot of doors for me. Within six weeks I had multiple offers, and the one I accepted has ended up being the absolute best experience and best company I have worked for in my 23+ years of IT career. Who knows how these things end up, but I could actually see myself retiring from this company in 20 years if all goes well. - which is something I've never even considered as a possibility until now.

One door closes, another opens. Stay positive and the opportunity you are looking for will present itself.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
I recently had a similar experience. I was let go a few months ago and got a 6 week contract position. While in that job I got multiple offers and I am working in a less strenuous job and better hours for the same pay.

It all works out if you make it so.

Chris

Last edited:

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
Going to an SQL Server mini conference tomorrow, I'll keep an ear to the ground for anything interesting (assuming UK is OK?)