(Update 04-25) DFI DT122 (AMD RX-427BB) Industrial ITX T730-a-like; $99 shipped w/ 8GB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
Anyone on a gigabit line running pfsense and IPS/IDS? If so, what speeds are you getting?

Trying to decide between getting this for a pfsense router or getting a USG Pro and building a Security Onion box to handle all the ips/ids.

jmhalder

May 21, 2019
I picked up one of these, threw 16(2x8)GB of DDR3L in, and came across 2 major problems. After realizing it wouldn't initialize a old videocard so I could configure the BIOS, I ran to the store to buy a overpriced DisplayPort>HDMI adapter. I updated to the modified BIOS, and got ESXi 6.7 U2 installed on a thumb drive.

1: I was tinkering around in the BIOS and turned off CSM and turned off Graphics/Storage/Network OPROMs. Video no longer comes up at all during boot, It seems that I'm not able to reset those settings, even after a CMOS clear. For the CMOS clear, I'm moving the jumper as shown in the manual, with the power cable already unplugged, waiting about a minute, and putting the jumper back to the normal configuration.

2: I have a 1TB HP EX920 NVME drive in a PCIe adapter. Although I don't have video, it seems that it won't POST with this card installed, I was planning on having most of my VM's on this, mind you, I won't be booting from this. Normally during boot, you hear a beep, I don't hear that with this card installed.

Anyone have similar issues, or thoughts on how to solve my video problem?

*edit* Video works, but still won't POST with NVME drive inserted into PCIe slot.

Last edited:

Spaceharrier

May 26, 2019
Anyone on a gigabit line running pfsense and IPS/IDS? If so, what speeds are you getting?

Trying to decide between getting this for a pfsense router or getting a USG Pro and building a Security Onion box to handle all the ips/ids.
I have one hung off a Comcast home gigabit connection, works fine. Using the DSL Reports speed test I get between 905-930Mbit/s downstream, with Snort configured in alert-only mode (so no IPS) and some modest traffic shaping to combat bufferbloat. Using a 4-port Intel NIC, so no comment on the Realtek that drives one of the two inbuilt ports. Haven't seen CPU go above 50% when speed testing. So far I'm very pleased with this for home gigabit.

jmhalder

May 21, 2019
Anyone have a copy of the non-modified "original" firmware? I want to try that out and see if my NVME problems are solved. IOMMU is less important to me than working NVME.

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
Anyone have a copy of the non-modified "original" firmware? I want to try that out and see if my NVME problems are solved. IOMMU is less important to me than working NVME.
Scroll back from this point in the thread a bit, someone posted a dump of their unmodified BIOS recently (sorry, I can't remember who at the moment and I'm mid-move so I'm reading the forums on my phone.)

I have exactly the same issue with my Mellanox and Emulex 40Gb NICs, so please let me know if the non-iommu BIOS resolves this. I meant to test earlier in the month but I just didn't have time.

mimino

Nov 2, 2018
No pcie issues here with iommu BIOS and 6-7th generation of solarflare cards. Have not tried pcie adapters nor video card.

jmhalder

May 21, 2019
Both Modded/unmodded IOMMU bios didn't work with my HP EX920 NVMe card, the original one did:
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...30-a-like-99-shipped-w-8gb.22009/#post-204838

Still a big win, mind you, I'm not booting from it, or expecting to. I'm going to be using it from ESXi 6.7u2, which will be booted off a thumb drive on the internal USB. (extra stupid, cause I have to swap the NVMe VIBs out with older ones to make my specific card work)

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
You are expecting a 2013 vintage AMD embedded Steamroller/Kaveri design to support NVMe? Nope, not going to happen.

jmhalder

May 21, 2019
You are expecting a 2013 vintage AMD embedded Steamroller/Kaveri design to support NVMe? Nope, not going to happen.
Weird, cause it works fine on the Original BIOS, just not the modified or unmodified IOMMU BIOS. I already said I got it working. I can get 3,000MB/s sequential reads in a VM with CrystalDiskMark. As I mentioned in the post above:
jmhalder said:
mind you, I won't be booting from this.
I never expected to boot from NVMe. The ignorance in your reply is amazing. I don't need BIOS support for NVMe, I just need it to boot with a NVMe drive inserted, it's just a PCIe device. I don't need OPROMs, or NVMe support from UEFI/BIOS

NVME.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: canta

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Weird, cause it works fine on the Original BIOS, just not the modified or unmodified IOMMU BIOS. I already said I got it working. I can get 3,000MB/s sequential reads in a VM with CrystalDiskMark. As I mentioned in the post above:

I never expected to boot from NVMe. The ignorance in your reply is amazing. I don't need BIOS support for NVMe, I just need it to boot with a NVMe drive inserted, it's just a PCIe device. I don't need OPROMs, or NVMe support from UEFI/BIOS

View attachment 11277
Just because you got it to work once doesn't mean this will always hold true. The AMD chipsets from that timeframe were never tested and/or certified with NVMe drives, and it's certainly not something that would be on the minds of any engineer working on the board. So tell me how it's ignorant people in here (especially me, since I wrote the guide on the t730) had no idea that you might see success getting a 400 USD NVMe drive on a 100 dollar machine that was never meant to use NVMe, despite no literature or even official documentation suggesting otherwise.

jmhalder

May 21, 2019
The AMD chipsets from that timeframe were never tested and/or certified with NVMe drives, and it's certainly not something that would be on the minds of any engineer working on the board.
You're correct. I think you're missing the point. It has PCIe Gen3, I don't want NVMe support. I just want PCIe support. It meets the spec for that, no? I'm NOT BOOTING FROM NVMe. The support is given by ESXi, which is in this case booted from USB. I'm sure it's not certified for TV Tuners, capture cards, 10GB NICs, RAID cards, etc. But I'd expect ALL of those to work at a OS level. Obviously I don't expect OPROM, or preboot stuff to work.

... no idea that you might see success getting a 400 USD NVMe drive on a 100 dollar machine that was never meant to use NVMe
You can literally buy the same model I'm using (HP EX920 1TB) for $134 on NewEgg right now. NVMe drives are getting cheaper all the time. I would totally NOT recommend this model specifically, because it doesn't work on ESXi 6.7U1 or newer without swapping out for older NVMe VIBs.

I apologize for coming off harsh. It was frustrating to see the comment "Nope, not going to happen" AFTER I already said I got it working: "Both Modded/unmodded IOMMU bios didn't work with my HP EX920 NVMe card, the original one did"

I understand that most people might see my post and expect to be able to boot from a NVMe drive. No, that will NOT happen without chainloading the OS with a thumb drive, or modifying the BIOS. Don't expect to ever be able to boot from NVMe.

canta

Nov 26, 2014

View attachment 11277
I swear nvme with adapter pcie worked with original BIOS. if you look my previouse 3d printing case, I installed nvme pcie adapter. the nvme was sabrent rocket 256G(not in the picture). I understand non bootable to nvme, this just data storage for proxmox on my testing
I flashed with the bios IOMMU enable last month, I verify that nvme on pcie was not working, and try to disable all oprom for network and legacy rom video and had the same result, well no display at the end ha!!!
This is make me not believing, I tried to reset with jumper CMOS by following the PDF, and it never resetted,

I gave up at the end to reset the BIOS to recpver no video output issue. On the good side, lcdproc with python lcd client already works that give me no guessing since the LCD display gives me the status reports.

I switch using proxmox on this machine to use container (via podman) :D, already running nexcloud and traefik containers. plan to add zoneminder container to replace my current aging zoneminder.

I have other machine running promox, e3 haswell 4x without HT. I installed 512G nvme on pcie due the motherboard is not supported. yeah very satisfy with nvme (sabrent rocket 512Gb performance, my VMs are snappy and loading VMs are "fast" than regular ssd sata3.

well. Plan is, within 3-4 years I would buy another mini-itx to replace this machine. one thing I do not like is this puppy generate more heat than competitor(Intel). consumption is a bit high, but not a minus.

jmhalder

May 21, 2019
I flashed with the bios IOMMU enable last month, I verify that nvme on pcie was not working, and try to disable all oprom for network and legacy rom video and had the same result, well no display at the end ha!!!
This is make me not believing, I tried to reset with jumper CMOS by following the PDF, and it never resetted,

I gave up at the end to reset the BIOS to recpver no video output issue.
I think CSM is needed to load the "video" OPROM for the built in graphics, either NVME or BIOS will work for that. I fumbled my way through blind, and turned on CSM by guessing. I think that's why mine started working. I had to compare to BIOS screenshots in DFI's manual. Unless you NEED IOMMU, I'd recommend everyone just stay on the original BIOS.

mimino

Nov 2, 2018
Unless you NEED IOMMU, I'd recommend everyone just stay on the original BIOS.
Because the system doesn't boot with NVMe adapter card? Use SATA, unless you NEED this system to produce more heat than it already does.
Also, the BIOS I attached is for a slightly different board, the BE-171. Not sure which one you flashed, that one or the one from arglebargie, but perhaps that's why it doesn't work?

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I think CSM is needed to load the "video" OPROM for the built in graphics, either NVME or BIOS will work for that. I fumbled my way through blind, and turned on CSM by guessing. I think that's why mine started working. I had to compare to BIOS screenshots in DFI's manual. Unless you NEED IOMMU, I'd recommend everyone just stay on the original BIOS.
can you help me the sequence ? I tried 10 times by looking the pdf and still did find the correct selection to load OPROM video.

please let me know the sequence to enable/load "OPROM" video.,if you do not mind..
Thanks

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Because the system doesn't boot with NVMe adapter card? Use SATA, unless you NEED this system to produce more heat than it already does.
Also, the BIOS I attached is for a slightly different board, the BE-171. Not sure which one you flashed, that one or the one from arglebargie, but perhaps that's why it doesn't work?
you need to put heatsink on nvme. it works for me.
I build compact 3d printing case and no issue :-D

the Bios is identical on my understanding, the difference is only on 12VDC, 16V-21V DC, or atx power. you can check the detail in motherboard PDF

jmhalder

May 21, 2019
can you help me the sequence ? I tried 10 times by looking the pdf and still did find the correct selection to load OPROM video.

please let me know the sequence to enable/load "OPROM" video.,if you do not mind..
Thanks
DT122-BE | 2nd Gen AMD Embedded R-Series | Bald Eagle | Pre-Configured System & Chassis | DFI The user manual has screenshots.

Boot pressing delete a few times to get to BIOS. Wait a few seconds.
Press the 'right' arrow 3 times to get to "Boot" section
Press the 'down' arrow 3 times to get to "CSM Properties", hit enter
You'll land on the top choice of "Launch CSM", to turn on, hit "+" ('Shift' + '=')
'F4' to save
'y' to confirm (maybe 'enter' too?)
You'll hear it beep and reboot. If you need to turn on the OPROMs, I didn't, look through the manual on DFI's website.

Leave CSM, and OPROMs on unless you have a specific reason to turn them off.

It's insane that you can accidentally turn off video, and clearing CMOS doesn't fix it, other than that, I like the board.

aeg

May 6, 2019

Thanks
One of the eBay sellers had instructions in his listing to reset all the BIOS settings:

"*Steps to resetting the BIOS back to defaults... (if you lost video but unit powers on & still beeps)
(restore all jumpers on motherboard to normal / default... & remove any add in hardware, except for the Ram & Keyboard )
First turn on the computer & press the delete key a few times quickly,... as if you are entering the BIOS / cmos as normal
then press the right arrow 5 times
then press the down arrow 4 times
then press the enter key twice (2)
then press up arrow 4 times
then press the enter key twice (2)
the system should restart and you should have video and bios back to defaults."