Untrustworthy seller: [Ebay-US] New 18TB WD Ultrastar DC HC655 - $239.95/ea + free shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cyprus

Aug 4, 2015
Curious how this happened since that's my goto for legit stuff.
Bought 20 14TB easystore and had them shipped to the store for pickup, took 2 weeks.
4 of the drives were junk hdds swapped for the 14tb
They wanted an extra ~$250 for the replacements since price went back up.
Amex contacted them for chargeback and bestbuy didnt respond until after the return period ended.
Claimed I should not have accepted the pickup in store if it was incorrect (ie shuck the drives inside bestbuy before leaving)
Paid ~$900 for 4 trashed drives

Last week ordered a soundbar, they sent me an open box model without power cable, remote, etc
Price went back up and said they would exchange.
Never received exchange, only refund

• Wow
Reactions: Samir

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
yeah the fraud of external drives is a problem. people have been arrested buying hundreds of external drives, shucking them, replacing with ballast, and then returning to stores. They then find their way back into the supply chain and get resold. So best buy is also a victim here, but it would be better if everyone could do a better job of making sure the fraud drives aren't resold.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Bought 20 14TB easystore and had them shipped to the store for pickup, took 2 weeks.
4 of the drives were junk hdds swapped for the 14tb
They wanted an extra ~$250 for the replacements since price went back up.
Amex contacted them for chargeback and bestbuy didnt respond until after the return period ended.
Claimed I should not have accepted the pickup in store if it was incorrect (ie shuck the drives inside bestbuy before leaving)
Paid ~$900 for 4 trashed drives

Last week ordered a soundbar, they sent me an open box model without power cable, remote, etc
Price went back up and said they would exchange.
Never received exchange, only refund
Wow, where is this? Sounds like some very shady stuff going on. This is the type of stuff that a manager would get punched in the face for by the wrong irate customer.

Reactions: ebroock

ebroock

Jun 24, 2016
one time in 2019 I had to exchange a external hdd at Bestbuy. I had to wait for them to confirm that it was a real defect and it was refund only.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
one time in 2019 I had to exchange a external hdd at Bestbuy. I had to wait for them to confirm that it was a real defect and it was refund only.
With prices so variable, I can see the refund only policy making cents, and I guess with all the scammers, they have to put in some sort of policy so they're not having to test all these returned drives themselves. Oh well, the scammers is 'why we can't have nice things'. :mad:

Reactions: ebroock

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Any time I see "SMR" I run. Don't want anything to do with them.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
honestly if the drives were much cheaper I would buy one just to see if I could make it work.