Unraid Docker service and Shinobi

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Caennanu

May 18, 2021
Good day all,

First of all, not entirely sure if this is the proper section. Move if desired.

After all my issues with upgrading from the ryzen to the epyc platform, i finally have a stable platform.
So ofcourse, since the entire goal from the upgrade was to enable hardware acceleration for shinobi in docker, i started to do so.

However, currently i'm running into several issues and i'm hoping someone can help me.

issue 1: I was using the shinobi template from Spaceinvaderone from the community applications plugin to do CCTV monitoring and recording of 6 cam's. Enabling the hardware was a bit iffy, but eventually managed to get my 1050ti to decode streams. However, since the upgrade the docker is using excessive amounts of memory (up to 40Gb from 64). Now since then i have upped to 128Gb and i'm seeing an even bigger number. Does anybody have any experience with this template in particular? Support from the unraid forums is . . . non existent.

issue 2: So since the spaceinvader template hasn't been updated in a while, i figured i would install the official repo of the docker from dockerhub. After a bit of tinkering (not knowing exactly what i'm doing) i managed to pull the docker and start it. However, i cannot figure out how to enable hardware encoding on it (it doesn't seem to take the additional parameters i put into the template) and i can't seem to set a path to a folder where to store recordings. Anybody have any experience with this and setting it up?

Issue 3: I was suggested to try a github link that has the official reproduction of Shinobi ported with nvidia hardware acceleration enabled. This docker template is however not hosted on dockerhub and i can't acces it from the community application plugin. How would i go about loading a github container to unraid?

Things to know:
I'm very very new / green to docker. But i'm not entirely illiterate to coding (i just really don't like coding). So if you want to explain please try and explain in a way where i can follow a step by step guide specificaly tailored to be used within unraid. The manuals and descriptions i've found online i can't wrap my head around because there's mismatches.

Any help would be appreciated, and in DM's i could talk in dutch if that suits you better.

Thanks in advance!

Caennanu

May 18, 2021
Alternatives are also welcome. If so please keep in mind the following requirements.
  • Motion detection required
  • freeform zones required for motion detection (using it partially for monitoring horses, and nature tends to move which i want to exclude, also due to privacy laws i'm not allowed to monitor / record everything)
  • Hardware acceleration required (to minimize cpu cycles)
  • Free for home use
  • prefered to run in docker, but VM is also an option (but generally uses more resources)

slidermike

May 7, 2023
The best all around alternative is Blue Iris but there are a couple of caveats.
#1 It has a fee (not overly expensive like Synology)
#2 It requires Windows so that would mean a VM.
#3 Because it is one of, if not the best out there, the learning curve can be steeper with the AI.

Good luck with Shinobi. I too tried it but never got it working and spaceinvader never updated his "how to"

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Have you looked at Frigate? Frigate NVR

I use Qnap's QVR Pro (not elite) - The QVR Pro server doesn't support hardware accelerators (QVR Pro Client DO and QVR Elite Server does). Still, on the upside, it's "free" for eight cameras and supports motion detection, including custom zones.
There are many improvements in QVR Elite, including ML hardware support, face detection, etc., BUT it comes with only 2 "free" camera licenses, and the rest are subscription based. QVR Pro, as mentioned, comes with eight camera licenses, but additional are one-time purchases.

Last edited:

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
The official shinobi docker mounts a volume at /config in which you can put conf.json. I'm running that docker in k8s with a custom deployment (unofficial helm chart wasn't terribly useful).

But I agree that frigate is the way forward, albeit still a bit basic compared with the battle-tested features of BI.