Universal shelf

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I have a couple of Sumpermicro 36 bay units to install in one of our old racks that only has threaded 10/32 screw holes... I don't think they work with the standard tool-less square hole rails. Does anyone have any recommendations on shelves or how to install?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have about 4 of these: Amazon.com: StarTech.com 1U Adjustable Mounting Depth Vented Rack Mount Shelf - Heavy Duty Fixed Server Rack Cabinet Shelf - 250lbs / 113kg: Computers & Accessories

I also bought a few extra Dell C6100 rails. The Startechs feel way more sturdy. Actually mounting the QNAP 2U in the datacenter I got worried with the C6100 rails because the lip was barely wide enough with the C6100 rails.

If you go with some of the other universal rail/ shelf kits (e.g. Amazon.com: CyberPower 4POSTRAIL 4-Post Universal Rack Mount Rail Kit: Electronics ) I would probably go with one that has a bit higher in rating with those 36 bays. I think 3.5" drives are about 1.5-1.7lbs each (I use 2 to account for screws and a bit of safety margin. The 36-bays are not light themselves so there is a good chance that is over 100lbs.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I have a couple of Sumpermicro 36 bay units to install in one of our old racks that only has threaded 10/32 screw holes... I don't think they work with the standard tool-less square hole rails. Does anyone have any recommendations on shelves or how to install?
An SC836 I bought the other week came with square-hole-only rails and a bag of square-to-round-hole adapters. Do you want me to check the Supermicro part number for those adapters?

Alternatively, you could look for identifying marks on the square hole rails and try to determine the actual manufacturer, then contact them and see if they have round-hole versions.

Personally, I think that square hole racks are an abomination right up there with unequal flange racks (that's a Telco thing). Even people I've spoken to who have Brand X hardware on Brand X rails in a Brand X rack hate them. And when you have Brand X / Y / Z it gets even worse. The pop-in square nuts in the toolbox are never the right ones for the rack where they're needed (normally the discrepancy is the thickness of the rack metal, not the size of the square holes.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
We bought at least 30 of these over these past few years, and have them all over. They are quite sturdy and adjustable enough to work in standard and bizarre 4 post racks. Used them both for mounting of larger servers / tape libraries etc, and as shelves for smaller non-standard equipment. The vents are spaced well to weave velco through to hold down things if you are putting together a shelf with lots of smaller components.
Biggest drawback is they are pretty heavy if you are re-shipping them somewhere, and the shelf takes up a 1U itself, (there are struts in the middle and sides of it, so it is basically a box to make it stronger). You can mount them upside down and there are 2 full-length toughs if that suits your needs for smaller stuff.20160129_101055 - Copy.jpg
(one from basement showing bottom since Amazon didn't show it)

We also have a mix of items from Rack Solutions Sliding Rack Mount Shelves | RackSolutions mostly the sliding shelves. They are not a sturdy as the StarTech one, but for smaller equipment they are nice because you don't waste 1U for the self alone. Nice to rack up the switches I find on ebay w/o rackmount ears etc. Also good for the "stuff" shelf in the rack with an old Dell monitor & KB some storage and extra ethernet cables, velcro, etc.

Last edited:

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
@Terry Kennedy If you could find a part number, that would rock. I'll see if they'd work out. Otherwise these shelves that everyone recommended seem good as well. Thanks!
The MCP-290-00060-0N adapter kit consists of:
  • Qty 2 of 01-SC21311-XX00T 001 (labeled "A")
  • Qty 2 of 01-SC21312-XX00T 001 (labeled "B")
These are sub-2RU adapters (5 holes) with 2 square holes on one side and 5 10-32 holes on the other. Here are the installation instructions. Looks like the price for a set is $5 to $15 from the usual places. Probably a lot cheaper than the shelves if the adapters work for you.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I've used a bunch of those adapters that Terry listed in the past, they work great for this.

Dan Langille

Jun 29, 2015
The MCP-290-00060-0N adapter kit consists of:
  • Qty 2 of 01-SC21311-XX00T 001 (labeled "A")
  • Qty 2 of 01-SC21312-XX00T 001 (labeled "B")
These are sub-2RU adapters (5 holes) with 2 square holes on one side and 5 10-32 holes on the other. Here are the installation instructions. Looks like the price for a set is $5 to $15 from the usual places. Probably a lot cheaper than the shelves if the adapters work for you.
I have a set of the above should anyone want them. Yours the the price of shipping.