Uninterruptible Power Supply

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
Hi folks. Would you suggest a good UPS?

Power requirement: 1000W minimum

Critical requirement: silence. No buzzes or whining.

Online is not strictly required. Line interactive will do.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
I have an Eaton Ellipse ECO UPS 1600, you probably want the EL1600USBIEC. Works also with Linux "nut" tools over USB. This is for 230V mains. If you are based in USA, no idea if available there. Unloaded it is absolutely quiet. It is line interactive. Wattage 1000W. Lead batteries in there have lasted for 10 years now, so floating voltage charger seems good and will not "cook" the batteries so that they fail within 2-4 years. Aside from occasional zappers most of Germany though has an alright power grid with few blackouts (<30min a year) so my UPS really doesn't have much to do.

Above this at 2200 VA and beyond, there really is no option for silence. Last APC UPS I found (awaiting a recap and tweaks) was the SU-2200/3000 series. Those turned off the fan when idle (not charging, and not providing mains). All later models (SUT etc.) keep the fan running at all times, sometimes in stepped RPM.

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
I have an Eaton Ellipse ECO UPS 1600, you probably want the EL1600USBIEC. Works also with Linux "nut" tools over USB. This is for 230V mains. If you are based in USA, no idea if available there. Unloaded it is absolutely quiet. It is line interactive. Wattage 1000W. Lead batteries in there have lasted for 10 years now, so floating voltage charger seems good and will not "cook" the batteries so that they fail within 2-4 years. Aside from occasional zappers most of Germany though has an alright power grid with few blackouts (<30min a year) so my UPS really doesn't have much to do.

Above this at 2200 VA and beyond, there really is no option for silence. Last APC UPS I found (awaiting a recap and tweaks) was the SU-2200/3000 series. Those turned off the fan when idle (not charging, and not providing mains). All later models (SUT etc.) keep the fan running at all times, sometimes in stepped RPM.
Thanks!

Europe. So, I'm on 230V too.

So, above 1600VA the fan keeps spinning no matter the fact they are line interactive?

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Well I searched maybe half a day through various manufacturers' datasheets, Youtube reviews, forums for Eaton, APC, Liebert, Microdowell, Cyberpower, plus a couple of OEM, and couldn't find any above the mentioned 1600VA that explicitly mentioned quietness or that it turns off the fan when no inverter is running. From APC I know from an employee forum post that SU series was the last to turn off at all, from Eaton I have some experience having used them in a couple dozen customer projects - fan ran always (understandable, double conversion "online" UPS simply needs some cooling). If a quiet 2200/3000VA UPS exists, it may be rare.

Reactions: balnazzar

psc

Jun 30, 2019
I've got an Eaton 5S 1500 under the desk and a 5PX 3000 for my rack (but can also be treated as a tower, I believe). Both play nice with nut and have been completely hassle-free; I'd use Eaton again. The 5S is silent until it takes over power, when the fan comes on. The 5PX has slow fans all the time, which ramp up when it takes over, but it's not normally noisy. How much uptime do you need, and are you really pulling 1KW?

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
I'll pull 1KW as the GPUs go full steam. Unlikely that it will happen as it's on battery, but we can't exclude it altogether.
Uptime? Not much, just what it's needed to shut the machine down properly. One minute will do.

I just want it to be silent during normal operation. While on battery, it can even turn into a jet engine, I don't care.

Thanks!

psc

Jun 30, 2019
I'd get a 1500+ VA, then; you want some margin for both power factor and fluctuation. Eaton quote 900W for the 1500VA, but that seems very cautious. If you can shut down 'immediately' then almost anything with sufficient power will do; most seem to aim for 5-10 min under load. 1500VA seemed to be where 'desktop' ones topped out, so you may end up needing to look at something rack-oriented - although, as I say, the 5PX supports tower orientation.

If you find yourself stuck in a world of expensive enterprise UPS you might also want to look at some of the solar battery inverters; I know the Victron Quattro claim UPS-grade switching to battery supply, although if you don't need high runtime or power they're also not cheap by the time you've added batteries. The Sofar units are less, but I'm not sure how quickly they switch...

Reactions: balnazzar