UniFi Flex Switch is In Stock!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Hopefully, others care, but I've been waiting months for these to come back in stock.

With the right switch powering this guy, it can output 46w of PoE. Super handy for me who has lots of single drops I need 2 PoE devices at.

Humm. I am not sure of this is a "Great Deal", as it's the same price it's always been?

Also, the * note says it can only do 46W, when using a 60W power adapter - sold separately. For how much extra on top of $99?

Also, that's 46W total PoE budget! Plug in one 802.3bt device, and there's no more PoE/PoE+ for anything else. I think I would rather get 4x PoE++ injectors for $25ea?

IMO, it's usually high-powered outdoor wireless equipment that wants PoE++ or PoH (not available on this switch). And when you are connecting external wireless devices over PoE, you want some inline lightning ⚡ protection to protect the internal switch. And these you can easily get with injectors as well.

Given, this is a low powered unit compared to a real Layer 3 switch. However, one could pickup a Brocade Layer 3 switch - with 24x PoE+ - for about the same price and instead of 46W budget, you'll have 1500W budget. Though, not 802.3.bt PoE++.

I do have 802.3bt2 PoH (95W) on my ICX7450-24P I got at auction on eBay for $140. So there are newer higher powered specifications out there.

I'm not raining on your parade. :) Just giving the whole picture to everyone, so you can make educated purchases.

Reactions: altmind and Samir

Magnet

Jan 25, 2018
North Florida
You're missing the use case of this product completely. Its not meant to be a primary switch in the network. Its an add-on for remote areas where cables runs are difficult/limited. Its also easier to integrate this if you're already using UniFi.

In my situation, I have 1 cable going to a remote location. That cable has a PoE++ switch powering it from the data closet side. Remote location needs 2-4 PoE cameras and the PoE budget of this device is perfect for that. This managed switch for $99 saves me from running more cables, which would cost way more.

It would indeed be silly to buy a 24-port 1500w poe switch for this use case.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I went from using a boatload of POE injectors and wall warts to power my ip cams to one CISCO 48 port POE switch I picked up on eBay for about $100. Simplified things considerably. At present I'm only using 38% of the total POE budget so I have plenty of room to grow. Also, it's my main switch so I'm making use of all 48 ports. I have an HP 24 port switch sitting on top of it to take up the slack.

Reactions: Samir

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I think I understand the use case @Magnet describes. I currently have a single POE camera in a far corner of my yard fed by a single Cat6A cable. I’m considering adding a 2nd (and maybe third) camera out there and it sure would be easier with a switch like this in an ip65 outdoor box than pulling 2 more cables out to the edge of my world.

It is a pretty limited use case though - most of the time a POE switch with more ports at a central place is a better value. And likely more reliable.

sic0048

Dec 24, 2018
Thanks for posting. While I've used the Flex Mini switch in a couple of places in my house, I did not realize they had released a POE version of this. I definitely can see where this would be handy.

Magnet

Jan 25, 2018
North Florida
I used minis also. They are great if you have a use case. I like using them behind TVs/etc where I need additional cables.

$30 and managed via centralized system.

Magnet

Jan 25, 2018
North Florida
I've only used unfi at home and at very small offices under 50 people. I'm a fan of the single pane management, no monthly fees and the cost of the products. Well, outside of cameras - I use a different vendor for surveillance.

I prefer to not constantly fiddle with stuff at home and the unifi solution was a great option for me. There is plenty of fiddling to do at work and my goal was dual internet connections for reliable work from home.

bob_dvb

Sep 7, 2018
Not quite London
www.orbit.me.uk
I have a location where I have an unmanaged Ubiquiti outdoor 24V PoE switch (can't remember which one, doesn't matter) and it's been good for the wireless stuff I've been doing outside. I'm intending to add some cameras, so I may swap it for a managed POE+ one like this if I can get one (it's now out of stock) or perhaps a Mini or two.

Magnet

Jan 25, 2018
North Florida
The mini doesn't passthrough, but it is useful. For $29, they are PoE-powered switches good behind TVs and areas that need a few extra connections.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
So... Missed this. Any similar priced 1->4 port POE and managed switches in similar price range with similar temperature rating for attic install?

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
So... Missed this. Any similar priced 1->4 port POE and managed switches in similar price range with similar temperature rating for attic install?
You would need a poe splitter to power it, but I think if you did, you could get 2x poe ports vs just having one:

If you don't need gigabit they also have a 10/100 versions:

I have one of these I use at one site for two cameras just using wall power for the switch and it's been reliable with no complaints.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
You would need a poe splitter to power it, but I think if you did, you could get 2x poe ports vs just having one:

If you don't need gigabit they also have a 10/100 versions:

I have one of these I use at one site for two cameras just using wall power for the switch and it's been reliable with no complaints.
Thanks-planning on attic mount so really want the outdoor/higher temp rating.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Thanks-planning on attic mount so really want the outdoor/higher temp rating.
I'm running this one in a high-temp environment. It's usually 90F+, but today it's only 80F. It also drops to nearly 60F, so it's been on the colder side as well. And it's been flawless. It's also cheap--I think I picked mine up for like $36 locally.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
I'm running this one in a high-temp environment. It's usually 90F+, but today it's only 80F. It also drops to nearly 60F, so it's been on the colder side as well. And it's been flawless. It's also cheap--I think I picked mine up for like $36 locally.
Tx, will take a look at it.