UniFi Camera + Tablet/app for baby monitor

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Anyone tried something like this with any success? Thinking maybe the G3 Flex or even the G3 Micro if my wife decides she wants 2-way audio. Just would need to pickup a cheap tablet to display the UniFi app (or maybe repurpose an old iPad 2?).

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Not UniFi, but siblings have been using the Foscam PZT cameras as baby monitors for years. No recording.
Will ask what App they are using: Baby Monitor for IP Camera (iOS app) by Tiny Solutions.

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Have 4 kids and having taken kids 3 and under to the ER in the middle of the night on multiple occaions, personal opinion, I think baby video monitors are a bad idea. Either they play into one or more parents obsessive compulsive or anxious tendencies when parents need to learn that kids, even babies, are usually okay. Two, if and when you are legitimately concerned they might not be and are trusting your instincts, there is no substitute for actually being in the room to see, hear and smell with your full senses. Three, having a crib or basset or similar in your room at night, not in your bed is best for a few months, 1-3 months is common given feeding frequency and until baby sleep most of the night. You can also have an inexpensive pack and play type setup in another room/family room for during day. After that, even down a hall in another room their crying will likely be loud enough to wake most people at night. Now, to monitor the baby sitter or at daycare, all for cameras for that. My 2 cents and experience but, whatever works for you or justifies IT spend!

Reactions: whitey

Shigo_Naito

Nov 8, 2016
Anyone tried something like this with any success? Thinking maybe the G3 Flex or even the G3 Micro if my wife decides she wants 2-way audio. Just would need to pickup a cheap tablet to display the UniFi app (or maybe repurpose an old iPad 2?).
We use the Unifi Dome cam for a baby monitor. It works as a basic monitor and night vision works great. Problems I have seen is that all clients IOS and Android get a delay that can add up to a few seconds if on for longer then a day.

Personally just as a baby monitor I think u can find better and cheaper. If u plan of other things like security later on then you can see more value in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
I've been using a cheap Dahua 4431 with BlueIris (used for home security as well, so baby cam was easy to add when needed). The new UI3 web interface is great for tablets. A little piece of paper can be taped to it to deflect the IR onto the wall. Our little one shifts a lot in the crib and sometimes we've had to rescue him from arms or legs "stuck" through the sides, but more often than not it just provides for some amusing nightvision stills.

seizedengine

Aug 22, 2016
I use a G3 Micro as the baby room monitor camera. It wont be there forever, it will eventually move to being an actual security camera elsewhere hence the justification over an actual baby camera which are sort of useless past the point of needing a camera pointed at a baby (plus getting into the security issues, the worse sensors and night vision, etc).

Keep in mind that the G3 Micro is the only wifi capable camera, it has a small bullet power adapter that can run off AC or PoE. The other cameras need Ethernet so depending on your house layout it might be more effort to run the cable than to just spend extra on the MIcro.