UniFi AirGateway?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Has anyone used any of these? Looking into the possibility of using one to connect a UniFi security camera in a location where I can't run ethernet back to my rack.

Anyone have reviews/feedback on how these work?

Ubiquiti Networks - airGateway™

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
They work, the range isn't great but its a scaled down 1st or 2nd gen unifi AP. I have used a couple as spot aps, they work as well as a lower end g ap.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
The airGateway Pro does 2.4 and 5Ghz so I'll be interested to see what kind of performance I can get. The good thing is cameras don't really need fast connections.

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
I have a friend who has 3 airgateways, all attached to unifi cameras. They do the job, but they are not unifi products. They are UBNT AirMAX line. I WISH they were unifi, then I would use them myself :D

Tom S

Jan 31, 2017
Disclaimer: I'm the UniFi Video product manager. :) Suggestions and feedback always welcome.

A lot of our customers use the AirGateway and AirGateway Pro for wireless uplink with good success. Like IamSpartacus said the camera bandwidth is relatively low and steady, so the wireless backhaul demands aren't very significant for a modern high-speed wireless network.

For most of my installs lately I've been using the new UAP-AC-M. Having external antennas helps a bit with range, but obviously it's not as cheap as the AirGateway Pro.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
@Tom S - please punch the product manager/owner of the cloudkey/unifi controller at lunch on monday... Tell them to add in scheduled upgrades of managed equipment (pref. on a per location basis). Thats sooo missing! :)

Reactions: Cole