Underclock Supermicro X10SLM+-LN4F m/b to use passive heatsink

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
I currently use above motherboard, with Core i3-4160T. Though the processor is already at only 35W TDP, still, since I put it in a 1U rackmount chassis of Supermicro, I have to use a Dynatron blower type fan.

I need help to underclock my m/b, processor, to make it super silent.

My thoughts are, remove the blower type fan of Dynatron, and replace with Supermicro heatsink, that came together with the motherboard. Get the processor, motherboard to very low that the heatsink will be enough. Sadly, due to my hacked 1U Supermicro chassis, my micro-ATX m/b fits exactly, without a space in front, or back of m/b to accommodate a slow 40mm fan to blow on the passive heatsink of Supermicro.

In the picture below, I have heatsink connected to m/b. As you can see, no more fan (40mm) space in front or at back. When using this, it alarms from time to time when cpu is used more.
x10slm+-ln4f1.jpg

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
I build the same setup as an OpnSense appliance with this board, an E3 1230 v3 and an Intel Quad port NIC.

CPU cooler was a cheap Chinese Aliexpress 1U cooler. I installed 3 Noctua 40x20mm fans to move 'hotter' air outside the case. Without moving air out the case just heats up itself. The 1U CPY cooler had a low fix rpm set with a start script.

In your case, if you still want to use a passive heatsink only, then

1. turn the heatsink by 90 degrees
  2. build yourself or check on eBay for air shrouds
  3. install 2 Noctua 40x20mm fans sucking air from the heatsink - without moving any air it will just overheat from time to time. You could also blow air onto the heatsink, but then the air may not touch and leave the heatsink area quick enough. Just test which direction is working better for you
  4. turn your SSD 90 degrees to the top

SM_mods.png

This way you get some air moving. It won't be 100% silent of course.

Hope this give you at least an idea.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
@gb00s

Nice to hear new suggestions. I had the same idea. though I only used 1 Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM. I placed it in the green area below. At the back of the case, as it will be easier for me to make an air shroud. The red line is where my Air Shroud is placed. I had the Noctua fan blowing towards the heat sink. The red line is where my air shroud is. I also turned the heatsink clockwise 90 degrees. Though with this setup, I still have to:

1. disable Hyperthreading
2. change from using All Cores to 1 core

My processor is Core i3-4160T, Dual Core, and supports HT.

Once any of them are turned on, after a few minutes, the buzzer will alarm, due to heat reaching 80+ degrees.

Right now, I'm very happy with the noise level, which is practically inaudible. But I would have liked it better if I can use all cores. I can see my firewall OS using higher cpu utilization than when HT and All Cores are active. I didn't do any more changes to the bios.

Any reason why use 2 fan? Will it blow harder? Will it create more airflow?

supermicro.jpg

This is how my case looks like- 1643594679492.png

Last edited:

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Ok if your shroud is built like you showed in your picture, then the heatsink should stay as it was. Now you are blocking all the airflow between the fins. I just suggested rotating it because my placement of the fans would be different. Your corner in the shroud makes airflow difficult with just one single tiny fan. Of course 2 fans suck/blow more air than 1 fan but the noise difference is not as significant. These fans don't provide a lot air flow but are quiet. I'm not even sure they run on max rpm if you just install them without adjusting their rpm from a script

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
Is it correct that the fans should blow/ suck air parallel to the fins? The noise is barely noticeable even if running at close to max speed, 4,800 RPM. I will consider having a shroud professionally printed, so that it fits perfectly. I'll add another fan, beside my existing one. Thank you for your answer gb00s!

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
I was going to suggest using ThrottleStop to undervolt that i3 but since you don't use Windows you unfortunately can't.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
Yes, it's also because it's a dedicated firewall OS, hence I cannot run IPMI tools. So this is almost perfect, with Noctua fan. Except for disabling HT and All cores. I think the only way to go forward is to add another Noctua fan, and have a 3D printed shroud.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Otherwise why not getting a small 1U active heatsink and rate the fan down via script? Also test out blowing air over the heatsink and sucking air from the heatsink

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
I do have a Dynatron with blower fan. Unfortunately, it's not quiet, even though it's already considered as such. Cannot execute script due to dedicated firewall OS. Hence, this is the best way to go.