Under the hood upgrades

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Made a few updates to STH yesterday. Here was the previous homepage version:
upload_2018-7-16_5-18-48.png

And here is the new one:
upload_2018-7-16_5-19-8.png

Finally, sub 1s which is not easy given the number of images we have (our readers like pictures.)

The long pole in loading is recaptcha but that cuts down on a massive amount of comment spam.

One day I need to convert everything to @eva2000's centminmod but only so much time.

eva2000

Apr 15, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
centminmod.com
Made a few updates to STH yesterday. Here was the previous homepage version:
View attachment 8810

And here is the new one:
View attachment 8811

Finally, sub 1s which is not easy given the number of images we have (our readers like pictures.)

The long pole in loading is recaptcha but that cuts down on a massive amount of comment spam.

One day I need to convert everything to @eva2000's centminmod but only so much time.
Nice planning to move back to Centmin Mod LEMP stack :cool: Lots of performance improvements in latest Centmin Mod since you last played with Centmin Mod - #1 Nginx HTTP/2 HTTPS performance web server :D

Just checked your front wordpress page and you can easily shave even more off - check out Cache Enabler plugin + autoptimize + clearfy plugins for wordpress. I reviewed them at here. Also did some benchmarking for pagespeed here :)

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
@eva2000

Any idea why in your nghttp HTTP/2 Statistics test on your linked thread the Centmin Mod LEMP is 5x faster than all the others. Processing time 4ms vs like 20ms for the rest. Thanks.

eva2000

Apr 15, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
centminmod.com
@eva2000

Any idea why in your nghttp HTTP/2 Statistics test on your linked thread the Centmin Mod LEMP is 5x faster than all the others. Processing time 4ms vs like 20ms for the rest. Thanks.
Centmin Mod Nginx is built for speed - alot of optimisations go into building Nginx binary on Centmin Mod servers - down to specific cpu optimisations i.e. Intel and AMD EPYC cpu optimisations - working towards GCC 8.x and Clang 6.x support for Centmin Mod Nginx Beta Branch - Testing GCC 8 & Clang 5/6/7 compiler for Centmin Mod Nginx & PHP-FPM

Looking forward to GCC 8 patches for +60% better Skylake cpu performance GCC 8 Hasn't Been Performing As Fast As It Should For Skylake With "-march=native" - Phoronix :)

It isn't just Nginx, my custom build Caddy and Haproxy binaries can be up to 40% faster than official distro provided ones :) Intel optimised MariaDB RPMs I built years ago were 50% faster than official generic built ones too.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@eva2000 has put an enormous amount of work into optimization.

The one issue we have is that there are a lot of legacy STH Gremlins from a 9 year old WP install. I probably just need to hire someone to do it.

Totally agree that cache helps.

Reactions: eva2000