Ultra Wide Screen Monitors for Administration?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I'm looking at displays for my home workstation and wondering if anyone (who doesn't game much) uses these ultra wide screen monitors (34" or even the 49" Samsung) for remote administration (RDP sessions, etc).

Currently I have 2 x 24" 1920 x 1200 Displays to compare to.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
I don’t have any ultra wides but do have a bunch of 4k monitors setup which I find are great for doing remote sessions especially the 40” TVs that I am using. I do tech support from home and have up to 5 remote sessions plus our other tools going at once normally. Granted I also went a bit overkill on my setup and have 10 monitors hooked up most of them 4k

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Not the best pic due to the lighting but here you go

Starting from the right I have
2x 28” 4k monitors stacked
2x 32” 4k monitors stacked
40” 4k tv with a 24” 4k monitor stacked above it
40” 4k tv
27” 4k monitor in portrait mode
17” 1080p laptop screen with 24” 1080p stacked above it

None of the monitors are matching I mostly picked them up as I could find deals. Also a couple of them do have bad pixels in places which are not in the way and that I can live with such as corners or edges

I am using scaling on the smaller 4k screens. Any that are 32” and above I am not using scaling on

I am already considering getting a 34” widescreen to go where the 24” 4k is and moving that on to replace the 24” 1080p. Might also get another 32” to go above the second tv which would be hooked into the entertainment system for watching tv while I am working but have not decided on that yet

Last edited:

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
First pick for any kind of remote work is the tv screens, I can normally fit anywhere from 2-4 sessions on one depending on the clients screen res and still have it nice and easy to read. If you have the room that would be my pref and if you want multi monitor setup a couple of 24-27” monitors will fit in portrait mode on either side work nice. As a bonus the tv screens are generally cheaper than a widescreen as well by a few hundred dollars normally especially if you can get a good sale, my last one cost me 400$ Canadian and is a Samsung

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
upload_2018-1-8_16-2-2.png

Here is my setup. I am using a Samsung UN43KU7500 TV as my main screen. I used the red lines to highlight i have 4 RDC opened on the it, with each RDC set to 1920x1080 resolution. they don't all fit perfect, but its good enough. The above monitor is dell 3415 ultrawide. I keep my browser session on half the screen and use the other half for moving windows around or 2nd browser. The monitor to left is a dell 2416D with 2560x1440 resolution and i keep outlook there. The laptop screen is 4K and i keep my miner, weather, calendar and foobar music player on that one.

for the main tv screen it supports 4:4:4 and HDR so the text is super clear on it. It has a few issues but for sub 500 dollars it works great for RDC and gaming.

Hope that helps.

PS dont mind the mess :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I use an LG 34UM88C-P as my primary monitor. I find it works great for things like multiple RDP and SSH sessions, or 1 or 2 remote session on one half and chrome on the other. At this point I think I'll always have a UHD screen somewhere in my setup.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I am going to offer this https://www.servethehome.com/going-43-ultra-hd-tv-as-a-primary-monitor/

I still love it, albeit I would probably get a nicer Samsung 4:4:4 HDR display if I did it again. My wife had multiple monitors but her work just got her the Dell 43 Ultra HD 4k Multi-Client Monitor. I think it is P4317Q

$900 on Dell, sometimes less on ebay Brand New Dell 43-inch Ultra HD 4K Multi Client Monitor - P4317Q | eBay

100% would recommend this and I came from 2x 30" HP ZR30w's.
Any specific pros/cons to going with an LED TV over Monitor that you can speak to @Patrick ?

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
I'm looking at displays for my home workstation and wondering if anyone (who doesn't game much) uses these ultra wide screen monitors (34" or even the 49" Samsung) for remote administration (RDP sessions, etc).

Currently I have 2 x 24" 1920 x 1200 Displays to compare to.
I have an UW as my workstation monitor in my home office and I love it. It's better than two monitors, IMO, because it doesn't have a bezel in the middle, so of you have something like an omnigraffe or Visio that goes wide you can see the entire document seamlessly.

For running multiple apps side by side it's nice to split the screen in two. Or have your main app centered and applets on the edges. I also have a 40" 4k monitor and I prefer the 34" UW for productivity work by a wide margin.

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
I made the transition from 2x Dell 24" U2412M to a Samsung 40" HDTV (40MU6290). I already had a GTX1070, so didn't need to invest anything additional in that area.

I had used the 2x U2412M as they were reasonable priced IPS displays that could be calibrated for Lightroom/Photoshop work (photography being my other money sucking pastime). Zero gaming.

I decided it was time to move up to 4K, and I tried hard to implement the LG 43UD79-B. 3 times in fact, from 2 different resellers over 3 months. Supposedly "factory calibrated" (it was anything but), it did require tweaking to bring back to reasonable gamma (2.2) and temp (6500k) but it suffered terribly from color consistency across the screen, especially with red. A white dialog box on the RHS of the screen was pink by the time it was dragged over to the LHS of the screen. It was $550 at Costco on the thanksgiving period, I would have been quite happy if it wasn't for the color consistency.

I also decided that for my preference, 43" was just a little too big for my setup ... and I never ever thought I would say a display was too big !!

I ended up picking up a Samsung 40MU6290 when it was on sale at Frys for $329, and it's been lower (<$300) since. A couple of trade offs compared to the LG ..
1) LG had displayport and HDMI, Sammy being a TV is HDMI only.
2) The Sammy is a glossy display (lots of screen reflections) and it's low IRE tracking is worse than the LG. However, low IRE aside, it calibrated "good enough" and I've hung some cheap blackout curtains behind me and that's helped a lot with the screen reflections. My basement is my workspace, so have the ability to be "creative".

Pros: lots of real estate for the $, better LR/Photoshop editing experience, lots of space for RDP/KVM sessions (monitoring remote miners !)
Cons: Glossy screen (personal), I'm still trying to find the best viewing height/angle, and I ended up going with a wall mount for flexibility

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I keep going back and forth between a single large display (say 40-43" TV) and a Ultrawide monitor. I can't seem to settle on which would be better for dual RDP windows which I use every day. I don't want to have adjust the RDP window sizes every time and I open them.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
To me, the ability to have both horizontal and vertical space is valuable.

Reactions: Evan

Marsh

May 12, 2013
For my 43" 4K TV monitor, I use DisplayFusion to create 4 virtual display ,
lower half configure as 2 virtual displays (1920 x 1440 ), upper half are 2 virtual displays (1920x720).
It works really well. I could display full screen ( entire 43") video.

Reactions: William

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I am certianly a fan of a single larger screen with vertical as well as horizontal space.

Although still stuck at 27” 2560x1440 for work and home currently. I could never get used to different screens, virtual desktops yes

You guys have some big screens !

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
agreed display fusion is well worth installing, i use it on a couple of mine to split up the screen for the various tools that we use with clients

Gary Gapinski

Oct 24, 2015
Many (>8) years ago I used a 2×2 19" monitor array. It was adequate at the time, but required an expensive mount, and the separate monitors with plenty of bezels tended to force tasks into one of four locations.

Somewhere around five years ago I picked up a 39" Seiki 4K TV for around $300. It was far better than the multi-monitor arrangement. I did the same at work, replacing a 2×28" 1920×1200 arrangement (with an expensive monitor mount).

The Seiki at home started going wonky late last year, and was replaced with a Sony XBR43X800E. The Seiki at work was replaced with a Dell P4317Q (with an expensive monitor arm)

I've seen some nice-looking stretched, curved displays but these are typically 3440×1440 resolution (i.e., not 4K). I'll stick with the single monitor arrangement indefinitely (and there is not enough horizontal space left on a standard desk for anything else unless an expensive mount were used).

I'd use LG OLED but there isn't any (yet) in the 40-inch range. I haven't tried any 55-inch TVs as a monitor, but suspect that might be a bit too large.

Last edited:

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Use Remote Desktop manager , Remote Desktop setting : "Same as client area".
It would auto adjust RDP screen resolution base on display size.
Can RDM be used other than in tabbed mode? I need to be able to view multiple RDP windows at once without tabbing back and forth. I remember testing it last year and only saw tabbed mode.