Ultra Wide Screen Monitors for Administration?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
My wife had multiple monitors but her work just got her the Dell 43 Ultra HD 4k Multi-Client Monitor. I think it is P4317Q
$900 on Dell, sometimes less on ebay Brand New Dell 43-inch Ultra HD 4K Multi Client Monitor - P4317Q | eBay
But isn't it same display as LG 43UD79-B?

I'm a bit worried about going back from 2xQHD to that, because after you split it it becomes 4x FHD screens. If only LG made 52" 5K screen and optical output please. But overall it seems like a good thing

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
But isn't it same display as LG 43UD79-B?

I'm a bit worried about going back from 2xQHD to that, because after you split it it becomes 4x FHD screens. If only LG made 52" 5K screen and optical output please. But overall it seems like a good thing
I'm more curious to know if it's the same as the Philips https://www.amazon.com/Philips-BDM4350UC-43-Inch-IPS-LED-Monitor/dp/B01E18XRY2/

4 year advance replacement warranty and under $600 shipped. Says IPS and has the 4x input to one display features.

The Dell one is cheaper on Amazon??? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F80FSKS/

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
With one of those 43" 4K monitors (Dell or LG for example), can one create "virtual" screens say in 4 corners where you can maximize windows to just that corner? Say if I want a Youtube video, 2 RDP windows, and a web browser window all maximized in 4 different corners?

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I'm more curious to know if it's the same as the Philips https://www.amazon.com/Philips-BDM4350UC-43-Inch-IPS-LED-Monitor/dp/B01E18XRY2/
4 year advance replacement warranty and under $600 shipped. Says IPS and has the 4x input to one display features.
The Dell one is cheaper on Amazon??? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F80FSKS/
I think it's all the same model: same functions, same inputs and etc. Dell sounds a bit bettern than Philips though. I'd like to see optical output, so I can stream music from one of the desktops to receiver. Let's say: Workstation (2 inputs), Google Chromecast, Laptop.

With one of those 43" 4K monitors (Dell or LG for example), can one create "virtual" screens say in 4 corners where you can maximize windows to just that corner? Say if I want a Youtube video, 2 RDP windows, and a web browser window all maximized in 4 different corners?
AFAIK, yes. It will act like a regular 1920x1080 monitor. You can put two inputs next to each other, and get a seamless 3820x1080 monitor on the bottom for example, and two 1920x1080 on top.
I might be wrong, but yo can also configure proportions with LG(Dell) app. I'm pretty sure you can split into two or three screens (horizontal layout). Not sure if you can configure screen area.

Wonder how fast I can switch inputs from 4 screen to one selected screen.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
@IamSpartacus I am in the same boat as you. Are you near VA? If so, I have a 34" curved UW monitor you can try. I've had it for a few months and still haven't installed it, so I can at least let someone try it out. Hopefully I will get around to installing it soon as I am coming from 2x 24" 1080p monitors too.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
@IamSpartacus I am in the same boat as you. Are you near VA? If so, I have a 34" curved UW monitor you can try. I've had it for a few months and still haven't installed it, so I can at least let someone try it out. Hopefully I will get around to installing it soon as I am coming from 2x 24" 1080p monitors too.
I'm in NY but thanks for the offer @Peanuthead . I think I'm going to have to run to Microcenter to see some displays in person.

I definitely do like the idea of the multi-input options of the 43" 4K displays. That way I could have say a streaming stick in one corner and use the other 2-3 for my workstation.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
I think I am going to use the 34" for main display/split screen and a side 24" for static items like email.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Those of you using one of these large 43" multi input monitors...Are you plugging say 2-3 inputs from a single workstation into the monitor to be able to manage 2-3 areas of the screen better or just a single input and using software to divvy up the screen space?

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Use DisplayFusion software to split up the screen into area. You create custom sized areas this way depending on what you would normally have there

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Any good reason not to consider the Phillips monitor? Seems to be the same basic specs, but $160 (almost 25%) cheaper...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E18XRY2/ref=psdc_1292115011_t2_B01F80FSKS
I have looked at that but the screen is a little too glossy for me. I prefer matte.

Use DisplayFusion software to split up the screen into area. You create custom sized areas this way depending on what you would normally have there
Thanks!

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I'm leaning towards the LG because of the HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 Compatibility, remote, better speakers (allows me to use this monitor as a TV w/streaming stick as it's in my office/guest bedroom), and it being about $150 cheaper.

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
I have a dual 24 inch setup and went down this road then came right back. I found myself spending more time repositioning windows and looking for interfaces. I gave e the widescreen to my wife and dug back up the 24s.

I enjoyed the wide screen look and reduced cable clutter but my productivity took a hit.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

John Burns

Jul 12, 2016
Iowa, USA
I have a dell 34” widescreen, and the best feature is the integrated usb hub linked to display inputs. I work from home, so it makes it easy to switch back and forth at high res.

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
I have a dell 34” widescreen, and the best feature is the integrated usb hub linked to display inputs. I work from home, so it makes it easy to switch back and forth at high res.
Dual 34 inches!??! Great Scott ... I need to get out of ameture hour.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I'm stuck deciding between these two monitors now. I'm a little concerned about the 43" being too wide that I can't easily see both sides. I've tested this by putting two 22" monitors together side by side and it's not the greatest experience. I feel like the 38" curved would mitigate this to some degree with the combination of it being a little less wide and curved.

Thoughts?

21:9 UltraWide® | QHD IPS Monitor | 38CB99-W 38” Curved UltraWide Monitor | LG USA
Ultra HD 4K Monitor | 43MU79 43” Ultra HD 4K Monitor | LG USA

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
The 43" shouldn't be too bad - I have dual HP 24" monitors landscape next to each other and the total width is 47" and no issue working with both screens at once. I suspect you will still need to find a way to work with "zones" of the big single screen to avoid futzing around with window positioning all the time since there isn't the implicit 2 "zones" with the dual displays.
The 43" also has more vertical pixels and is less expensive...

Good luck!

Reactions: Patrick

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Alright so I've been playing with the 43" LG Multi-client for the past 10 days or so and I have to say...I'm not a fan. It's nothing specific to this display, but rather the size. In order to make full use of the display I need to sit much further back then I did with my dual monitors and it's not comfortable. I realize that I sit a lot closer to my displays than I had thought. So it's going back.

I'm now focusing on a 38" Ultrawide curved displays. Again it comes down to Dell vs LG. I'm leaning towards the Dell because of the 3 year pro support. Also, I like that you can attach (and charge) devices via the USB-C port. I also like that the monitor can act as a KVM between multiple inputs by plugging the keyboard and mouse into the monitor.

Those last two features I can't confirm or deny if they are available on the LG. The big thing the LG has going for it is 75Hz but being that I'll be using a 1080Ti I won't be able to take advantage of the Freesync.

Anyone using either of these displays?

Last edited:

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Alright so I've been playing with the 43" LG Multi-client for the past 10 days or so and I have to say...I'm not a fan. It's nothing specific to this display, but rather the size. In order to make full use of the display I need to sit much further back then I did with my dual monitors and it's not comfortable. I realize that I sit a lot closer to my displays than I had thought. So it's going back.

I'm now focusing on a 38" Ultrawide curved displays. Again it comes down to Dell vs LG. I'm leaning towards the Dell because of the 3 year pro support. Also, I like that you can attach (and charge) devices via the USB-C port. I also like that the monitor can act as a KVM between multiple inputs by plugging the keyboard and mouse into the monitor.

Those last two features I can't confirm or deny if they are available on the LG. The big thing the LG has going for it is 75Hz but being that I'll be using a 1080Ti I won't be able to take advantage of the Freesync.

Anyone using either of these displays?
The height of my 40" makes it difficult to view content near the top and bottom of the display. For movies and some games, this is not an issue, but it really stands out for me when doing productivity work. For this reason I prefer my 34" for productivity.